How should the righteous view evil men?

Jason

Re: How should the righteous view evil men?

Post by Jason » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:26 am

Dwight wrote:
So tell me, Jason, how do you reconcile David's apparent hateful words towards his enemies with Jesus' command to love your enemies, since they both had the Holy Spirit? I already presented my theory in my last post. How do you do it?
Hi, Dwight. Thank you for asking my opinion. The Bible indicates that the Holy Spirit "came" at Pentecost and at that time indwelt believers. Jesus even said that unless he went away, the Spirit would not come. So in whatever sense David had the Spirit, it was not the same as what transpired shortly after the ascension of Jesus. It would be difficult to defend the position that David was filled with the Holy Spirit in the same manner that we are. Among his peers, however, he was righteous.

When it comes to David's hate of his enemies in the Pslams, maybe this is what Jesus was addressing in Matthew 5:43. "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies..."

When it comes to the threat of violence, the ethic of the Christian is clear -- we are called upon to do whatever is the most loving thing. That might require me to physically defend the innocent from a victimizer. And that might require me to lay down my life instead. There are very few examples of radical love in the world anymore, but that's what converted the masses during the days of the Colosseum. Jesus said whoever clings to his life will lose it, so perhaps our goal isn't always survival but, instead, the glory of God. And this is most starkly seen in those who are more willing to give up their lives as an example than to defend their lives for the sole purpose of staying on Earth. Nothing turns the heads of unbelievers more quickly than someone willing to depart from this life to ensure the good of others. If unbelievers see us clinging to life tooth and nail, perhaps they will suspect that we don't really believe our own message.

dizerner

Re: How should the righteous view evil men?

Post by dizerner » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:23 pm

dwight92070 wrote:Psalm 15:4 " ... In whose eyes a reprobate is despised ... " There are many verses like this. Another one is Psalm 139:21 "Do I not hate those who hate You, O Lord? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with the utmost hatred; they have become my enemies."

Jesus said, "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you ..."

Didn't David have the same Holy Spirit that Jesus had and that we have? How do we reconcile this apparent contradiction?

Dwight
We qualify the statement "love your enemies" by the rest of Scripture, just like we harmonize everything in the Bible. "Whatever you ask for you will receive" does not mean I can ask for a Lamborghini and a Swedish model. Satan and the demons are certainly our enemy, but to love them would be foolish, as they are pure evil; their only intent is to destroy and they have no redemptive value. Yet hatred as an emotion is not often one we can handle as sinful and frail flesh. We certainly see a lot of Scriptures telling us that God hates sinners and sinful actions. I don't think we can assume everything David wrote was perfectly sanctified, however it is there for a purpose. David was attempting to align himself with God, and by doing so in some fleshly zeal it is possible he did not "leave room for the wrath of God." Both Paul and Jesus called people dogs, a terrible insult in that culture. And it was said a few times, to stop praying for certain people they were so wicked. For one to hate evil—in general—because of the intense harm it does to God's creation—seems hardly reprovable. Perhaps the point is knowing at what point a person no longer has redemptive value is a difficult thing. I don't think David sinned in the sentiment he expressed in this verse, but I do think one needs a high level of sanctification to properly hold it. It all depends on whether it is "the anger of man" or a reflection of God's just anger. God is angry at the wicked every day, and one day their blood is going to flow and flow, up to the bridle of the horse. Jesus is not going to always offer love to his enemies, but will hate them with a perfect hatred, as he promised.

Return to “Miscellaneous”