How God has "Limited" Himself

dwight92070

How God has "Limited" Himself

Post by dwight92070 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:50 am

In my post with Steve7150, I hit on a topic that I find fascinating, so I decided to do a new topic here.

Have you noticed that God, Who is without limits, has "limited" Himself? He is Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Immutable, Holy, Omniscient, and I don't even remember all the others. But He chooses to "limit" Himself, so to speak. Possibly, if He did not "limit" Himself, He would be "lying" about Himself and His own character.

For example, He chooses to be identified as a male. He "limits" Himself and never identifies Himself as a female, or an animal, or a tree, etc.

His Messiah was (is) a male. He has "limited" His Messiah to being a male, not a female.

He could have given us 2 or 3 or 4 ways to be saved, but He limited it to 1 way.

He created 1 definition of marriage, 1 man and 1 woman.

He limited angels to being identified as males, not females. Gabriel, Michael, Lucifer are all male names.

Paul says there is one hope, one faith, one Lord, one baptism, one God, one Father, one Spirit.

Happy Easter, gotta run.

steve7150

Re: How God has "Limited" Himself

Post by steve7150 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:49 pm

He limited angels to being identified as males, not females. Gabriel, Michael, Lucifer are all male names.

The difference is with the other categories there are specific limitations which are clearly identifiable whereas with your belief that Angels can only appear as men is something you are reading into the text when there is no specific mention of this limitation.
You can have that opinion , its' not an unreasonable one but I think you are going to far based on the lack of any specific restrictions.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:16 pm

steve7150 wrote:He limited angels to being identified as males, not females. Gabriel, Michael, Lucifer are all male names.

The difference is with the other categories there are specific limitations which are clearly identifiable whereas with your belief that Angels can only appear as men is something you are reading into the text when there is no specific mention of this limitation.
You can have that opinion , its' not an unreasonable one but I think you are going to far based on the lack of any specific restrictions.
Agree, Hebrews says "strangers" can be angels, which could be any person type.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:50 pm

Dwight wrote:For example, He [God] chooses to be identified as a male. He "limits" Himself and never identifies Himself as a female
How do you know that God chooses to be identified as a male? Where do you find that in the Bible?

Jesus said that God is spirit (John 4:24). That means God is immaterial. An immaterial, spiritual being is neither male nor female. Yet God who created mankind, both male and female, has some aspects of character associated with males, and other aspects associated with females.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:04 am

Romans 9:22-23 (NKJV)

22. What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23. and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory,

God limited himself in regard to Israel in that he wanted to destroy Israel but was self constrained by His greater desire that the Messiah should come and fulfill the purpose for the nation of Israel/Law of Moses.

From Strong's Expanded dictionary:

Romans 9:22, where "fitted" (prepared) (katartizo) is in the middle voice, indicating that the "vessels of wrath" fitted themselves for "destruction" (apoleia). And in 70 AD He did what He desired.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:16 pm

When I said that God has limited angels to being identified as males, I was simply making a factual statement. Show me one place in the Bible where angels are identified as females or children. You can't, because it's not there. But there are many places where angels are referred to using masculine pronouns and they are even called "men" and "man". Also, as I already said, at least 3 angels are named, all with masculine names. So for anyone to assume that a woman or child who appeared and then was gone rather suddenly was an angel from God is, itself, reading into the text of the Bible something that is not there.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Paidon,

I can't believe you actually asked that question.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Homer,

Thank God that He is slow to anger and doesn't want any to perish.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:35 pm

dwight92070 wrote:Paidon,

I can't believe you actually asked that question.
Why on earth? Spirit is sometimes grammatically female. Wisdom is personified as a female in Proverbs. There are other feminine references to God. It's very biblical.

You may not agree with them, but they aren't beyond the pale.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Return to “Miscellaneous”