Upcoming Election

thrombomodulin

Re: Upcoming Election

Post by thrombomodulin » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:10 am

Robby,

I disagree about the infallibility of the conscience, so perhaps this is the main issue. Anyway, I do not see how you can affirm that the newly forming USA authority was a valid authority authorized by God, and at the same time also affirm that the soldiers of King George, who were seeking to destroy this new authority, were not rebelling against it and thus God himself.

Pete

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:49 am

thrombomodulin wrote:I disagree about the infallibility of the conscience, so perhaps this is the main issue.
Hi Pete,

I understand, however, IMHO scripture says otherwise. God says, mankind is without excuse, therefore, let your conscience be your guide.
thrombomodulin wrote:Anyway, I do not see how you can affirm that the newly forming USA authority was a valid authority authorized by God, and at the same time also affirm that the soldiers of King George, who were seeking to destroy this new authority, were not rebelling against it and thus God himself.
I know Pete, your worldview of authority is different than mine. However, I believe mine is supported by scripture that you are unable to refute from the same source of truth, the bible. If you have scriptural evidence to support your claim then provide it please. Otherwise, I believe my position to be tenable within this discussion.

God Bless!

thrombomodulin

Post by thrombomodulin » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:59 am

This answer does not tell me the way in which you believe Romans 13:1-2 ought to be applied with respect to each group during the war for independence. I have no further questions about your view, and am satisfied to end here. Thanks for the discussion. Best regards, Pete

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:10 pm

Good discussion by both Robby and Pete, good points made by both. But I must agree with Pete that the conscience is an unreliable guide. The Holy Spirit, which works through the word, can be thwarted by our rationalizations. I think we see this in the many divorces among those who see themselves as Christians.

I read long ago of a wicked politician who had been involved for a long time in crooked politics. Upon his deathbed he was asked if there was anything he regretted and he replied "not a thing". His conscience had been seared. The Holy Spirit, which works through the word, can be thwarted by our desire to do so. Take for example the deluded Christians, and churches, that support homosexual unions. First they attack and neutralize (in their minds) the plainest teachings on the scripture that oppose their view. Having done that, the other scriptures are easy.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:23 pm

Homer wrote:Good discussion by both Robby and Pete, good points made by both. But I must agree with Pete that the conscience is an unreliable guide. The Holy Spirit, which works through the word, can be thwarted by our rationalizations. I think we see this in the many divorces among those who see themselves as Christians.

I read long ago of a wicked politician who had been involved for a long time in crooked politics. Upon his deathbed he was asked if there was anything he regretted and he replied "not a thing". His conscience had been seared. The Holy Spirit, which works through the word, can be thwarted by our desire to do so. Take for example the deluded Christians, and churches, that support homosexual unions. First they attack and neutralize (in their minds) the plainest teachings on the scripture that oppose their view. Having done that, the other scriptures are easy.
Hi Homer,

Outside of God's judgment on those who choose to disregard His inherent laws, conscience is reliable as scripture states. Of course if God sears the conscience this would not be the case, but that's not what the main discussion is about. Thanks for your input, and it was good to hear from you again!

-Robby

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:28 pm

thrombomodulin wrote:This answer does not tell me the way in which you believe Romans 13:1-2 ought to be applied with respect to each group during the war for independence. I have no further questions about your view, and am satisfied to end here. Thanks for the discussion. Best regards, Pete
No worries Pete.

God Bless.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:07 pm

So what do you all think about the big rebellion against trump in the Republican Party one month before the election?
Seems to be related to the audio disclosure in which Trump made some pretty crude statements about the women he had encountered.

Here's a bit about the rebellion:

Internal Rebellions Against Trump

Some Republicans Who Denounced Trump
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:20 pm

Well, if Republicans would ditch Donald Trump and Democrats would ditch President Cli ..., er, I mean, Hillary Clinton, then we'd be getting somewhere!
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:03 pm

Sounds good to me, Singalphile.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:32 pm

My sister is keen (relatively speaking) on this Evan McMullin fellow. I'm not, but whatever.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “Miscellaneous”