Election Aftermath

mattrose

Re: Election Aftermath

Post by mattrose » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:36 pm

Homer wrote: Exit polls showed that 80% of white evangelical Christians voted for trump, whatever that's worth.

Yes, I was referring mostly to the growing number of 'progressive' Christians (who purposefully don't associate with the term 'evangelical'... progressive Christians pray too.
I could not myself vote for either Trump or Clinton. I could not believe that early on prominent evangelicals were supporting Trump, even long before he was nominated.

I very much agree with this. I can understand voting for Trump given them choice between him and Clinton, but I do not understand why so many Evangelicals got on the Trump bandwagon early in the primary process. I kept hearing that he was the only one who could beat Hillary, but the polls were actually showing he matched up the WORST with Hillary.
I do not see how they could support someone who believes a baby can be ripped apart and slaughtered within minutes of birth. That practice is wickedness IMO and inexcusable.
All the progressive Christians that I interact with agree that abortion is wrong and that late-term or partial-birth abortion is particularly offensive. But they also believe that refusing refugees, inciting racism, the death penalty, torture, and aggressive foreign policy are evil. Progressive Christians tend to think most everything on Clinton's platform (except abortion) match up very well with genuine Christianity (which they interpret in a liberation theology paradigm). When they add it all up, they consider Clinton the lesser of 2 evils, at worst and, in some cases, a very good candidate with that 1 major flaw.

Of course, I disagree with much of their assessment. But I don't think they are all 'fake' Christians. And I do think they prayed hard for this election.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:48 pm

So I'm supposed to believe that because he made ill-thought out statements and was offensive yet still got the nomination and won the election... it's evidence that God did it?

I think I find it much easier to believe that he was the primaries b/c he was the most famous person among the candidates and spoke to the anger that many people were feeling. And he won the election b/c at least 25% of the nation really dislikes Hillary Clinton.

What i said was that it was remarkable at the very least. He did speak to many folks anger but so did Cruz and Rubio and other candidates in the primaries.
As far as i'm concerned i'm thrilled Trump won but clearly it remains to be seen if he is truthful about fulfilling what he said and if he is effective. But part of my excitement is that for now the oppressive "Left" is not in charge. Already Trump will have to nominate a Supreme Court Justice and address Obamacare and void hundreds of Obama Executive orders so he has plenty to do right off the bat. As a Christian, a businessman and a lover of our Constitution i feel like i have been released from a cage.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:13 pm

"We must unite despite our differences to stop HATE from ruling the land," organizers in New York wrote in a Facebook post announcing a rally at noon local time in Union Square and then a march to Trump Tower, the president-elect's skyscraper home on Fifth Avenue in midtown Manhattan.
More about Anti-Trump Protests
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:47 pm

All the progressive Christians that I interact with agree that abortion is wrong and that late-term or partial-birth abortion is particularly offensive. But they also believe that refusing refugees, inciting racism, the death penalty, torture, and aggressive foreign policy are evil. Progressive Christians tend to think most everything on Clinton's platform (except abortion) match up very well with genuine Christianity (which they interpret in a liberation theology paradigm). When they add it all up, they consider Clinton the lesser of 2 evils, at worst and, in some cases, a very good candidate with that 1 major flaw.

Progressive Christians may want to reconsider some things,

Refusing refugees? A couple of things here, ISIS promised to infiltrate using refugees, 99% of the refugees are muslim and this "faith" commands it's followers to convert unbelievers or make them face unpleasant alternatives, There are other refugees from all over the world, should we take all of them in?
Inciting racism? I must have missed this? Is building a wall on our border considered racism? BTW Mexico has a fence on it's southern border.
Death penalty? I believe it's biblical
Torture? I agree it is wrong
Aggressive foreign policy? Clinton historically has been a hawk & is likely more aggressive

So what is the reason they like Clinton better? Clinton is a horror show.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:59 pm

More about Anti-Trump Protests

Every place the "left" gets control of any country the same thing happens,anarchy,destruction,murders, confiscation of private property and centralized government takeover of everything. These protesters for the most part probably didn't even vote, probably don't care about our system works , except what they can get out of it. Now they perceive someone may be liable to take away some of their free stuff? Tantrum time!

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:02 am

mattrose wrote:
dwight92070 wrote:So God had no response whatsoever to our prayers?
I believe God responds to prayers often. But we don't get to manipulate God into doing something that isn't pleasing to him just by praying in quantity.
Dwight speaking: I don't consider prayer to be manipulating God, whether it's just me praying, or thousands of believers across this country. Nor is it manipulating Him to ask Him to do something that may not be pleasing to Him, because we usually do not know whether it is His will or not. I did not know whether He wanted Trump to be the President or not, but I know I have the freedom to give Him my requests and then submit them to His will.

You must not know the large 'progressive Christian' demographic. There are LOTS of people who consider themselves Christians who believe that Hillary was either a good candidate or, at least, the lesser of two evils. I know many such people that were praying for Hillary to win.
Dwight speaking: I must agree with another post on this. How can anyone who supports ripping a baby apart "consider themselves a Christian"? I think I can safely make a generalization: The followers of Hillary are not a praying lot, unless you count praying to Allah or some goddess.

I agree. But I have serious doubts that either Trump or Clinton being President was in line with God's will.
Dwight speaking: You're entitled to your opinion. But since the Bible says that God raises up and brings down rulers, I find no problem at all believing that He wanted to do that here in America.
One of my issues with your view is you seem to buy into the lie that earthly politics is a great answer to the earth's problems. I consider earthly governments and political parties beastly and largely demonic.
Dwight speaking: Yes I do believe that "earthly politics is a great answer to earth's problems", especially when the politicians involved are submitting to God and/or the principles in His word. 1 Timothy 2:1-3 says: "First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, SO THAT we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, ..." The implication is quiet clear, i.e. if we do not pray for our rulers and/or rulers to be, we may not be able to lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. So, yes, as we pray for future and current leaders, we see earthly politics can actually become a great answer to earthly problems. In light of this truth, I don't see how you can view (all) earthly governments and political parties beastly and demonic.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:17 am

Responding to Steve7150 when he said that he feels like he has been released from a cage. My pastor has had a similar response to Trump winning. He said he felt that with the possibility of Hillary winning, it could be similar to the time just before Hitler came to power, with threatening horrors awaiting us. He has felt a great relief. Me too. By the way, he also sees Trump's victory as a miracle, especially given that very few people actually thought he would win, even among Trump supporters.

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:29 pm

Now that the arguing and angst of the election season is over, I don't know about you, but I needed a good laugh. And I found it in the following article written by I don't know who. I got a big kick out of it, and pass it on to you. Whatever side you favored, I hope you'll appreciate the good humor here.

News Update from Canada:

The flood of Trump-fearing American liberals sneaking across the border into Canada has intensified in the past week. The Republican presidential campaign is prompting an exodus among left-leaning Americans who fear they'll soon be required to hunt, pray, pay taxes, and live according to the Constitution.

Canadian border residents say it's not uncommon to see dozens of sociology professors, liberal arts majors, global-warming activists, and "green" energy proponents crossing their fields at night.

"I went out to milk the cows the other day, and there was a Hollywood producer huddled in the barn," said southern Manitoba farmer Red Greenfield, whose acreage borders North Dakota. "He was cold, exhausted and hungry, and begged me for a latte and some free-range chicken. When I said I didn't have any, he left before I even got a chance to show him my screenplay, eh?"

In an effort to stop the illegal aliens, Greenfield erected higher fences, but the liberals scaled them. He then installed loudspeakers that blared Rush Limbaugh across the fields, but they just stuck their fingers in their ears and kept coming. Officials are particularly concerned about smugglers who meet liberals just south of the border, pack them into electric cars, and drive them across the border, where they are simply left to fend for themselves after the battery dies.

"A lot of these people are not prepared for our rugged conditions," an Alberta border patrolman said. "I found one carload without a single bottle of Perrier water, or any gemelli with shrimp and arugula. All they had was a nice little Napa Valley Cabernet and some kale chips. When liberals are caught, they're sent back across the border, often wailing that they fear persecution from Trump high-hairers."

Rumors are circulating about plans to build re-education camps where liberals will be forced to drink domestic beer, study the Constitution, and find jobs that actually contribute to the economy.

In recent days, liberals have turned to ingenious ways of crossing the border. Some have been disguised as senior citizens taking a bus trip to buy cheap Canadian prescription drugs. After catching a half-dozen young vegans in blue-hair wigs and polyester pantsuits, Canadian immigration authorities began stopping buses and quizzing the supposed senior citizens about Perry Como and Rosemary Clooney to prove that they were alive in the '50s.

"If they can't identify the accordion player on The Lawrence Welk Show, we become very suspicious," an official said.
(Geez, I can’t remember either.)

Canadian citizens have complained that the illegal immigrants are creating an organic-broccoli shortage, are buying up all the Barbara Streisand CD's, and are overloading the internet while downloading jazzercise apps to their cell phones.

"I really feel sorry for American liberals, but the Canadian economy just can't support them," an Ottawa resident said. "After all, how many psych majors does one country need?"

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:52 pm

On a more serious note: There's no point in U.S. Citizens continuing to protest Trump in a violent manner, or even in displaying "Trump's not OUR president" signs.

Trump has been duly elected. Nothing can be done about it. As time goes by, the ramifications of Trump's presidency will become clear to all. U.S. Citizens will soon know whether they made a wise or foolish choice in electing Trump.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:58 am

On a more serious note: There's no point in U.S. Citizens continuing to protest Trump in a violent manner, or even in displaying "Trump's not OUR president" signs.

Many of the protesters are paid by Soros and company. Most of them didn't actually vote but the "Left" has hope. Their plan is to persuade the actual "Electorates" who are real folks who really vote on Dec 19th for the President, to vote differently then the voters who elected them to vote. It has happened on rare occasions.
Also the "Left" wants Obama to pardon illegal aliens before he leaves office and to appoint Merick Garland to the Supreme Court while the Senate is in recess!

Return to “Miscellaneous”