Christians Struggling with Depression

dwight92070

Christians Struggling with Depression

Post by dwight92070 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:43 pm

John 15:11 "These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full."

I am sure this could refer to His whole discourse, but possibly a special emphasis might be on John 15:1-10. So it appears to be an antidote for depression for believers.

John 16:1 "These things I have spoken to you so that you may be kept from stumbling.

So, too, this could be a special emphasis on John 15:12-27 and an antidote for straying away or backsliding.

Singalphile

Re: Christians Struggling with Depression

Post by Singalphile » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:42 pm

My father recently experienced depression while coming out of the flu and a lung infection. (Those problems are apparently often related.) It was the first time he's ever experienced anything like it. He described it as just a black cloud that drained his ability to experience any desire or any pleasure in anything. It didn't make him feel ill, nor did he feel tired, and it wasn't at all intellectual.

He said it was worse than any sickness. Sometimes when you're sick (with a day or two of food poisoning or something), you feel like you just want to die and get it over with, but of course you don't usually really mean it (although I suppose one would reach that point). In his case, he had to get the guns (a couple pistols) out of the house for fear of what he'd do.

After a week or so on some drug - I'm not certain which - it has gone away. Of course we still have to keep an eye on it and continue making sure he's alright and praying for him, as always.

I think it's impossible to understand if you haven't experienced it. I can't understand it, anyway. The brain is still a mystery, evidently.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:29 pm

I have experienced times of depression in the last 5 years, but they don't sound as severe as your father's. I wonder if his was partially a physical thing, because of his flu and lung infection - I mean maybe it wasn't all a mental thing. Mine was basically mental with some runaway thoughts and feelings of loneliness and uselessness. Prior to these handful of experiences, I haven't ever experienced depression. But when I am tempted to think those thoughts (often in the middle of the night, or just before going to bed), I grab my Bible and start reading.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:47 pm

dwight92070 wrote:Prior to these handful of experiences, I haven't ever experienced depression. But when I am tempted to think those thoughts (often in the middle of the night, or just before going to bed), I grab my Bible and start reading.
That's got to be the right way to go. It's great to hear that God's words/message to us is comforting in such times. Thank you for sharing that.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “Miscellaneous”