Negative Ads

dwight92070

Negative Ads

Post by dwight92070 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:46 pm

During this recent election and during all elections, there always seem to be an uproar, even among Christians, about how disgusted they are about negative ads, but are they really a bad thing? It appears to me that many who cry out against all the negative talk, if they were running for office, would probably do the same thing.

If a person is running for office, don't they have to "sell themselves" as being a better choice than all their opponents. So, if there is truthful information on their opponents that makes them a bad choice, then why would it be wrong to tell the public that? The key, of course, is that the information is truthful and not misleading. The thing that is disgusting is the lies told about others. Those lies should be exposed for what they are. Insults and name-calling are not good either. But calling someone a communist when he is one, is not name-calling, as long as you have evidence to support that.

Also, when someone runs for office, they must be prepared to have their lives scutinized also. It comes with the territory and is fair game.

I also hear many say: "They're all a bunch of crooks.", which I find very irritating. It's the "moral equivalence" argument: Why shouldn't North Korea be allowed to have nuclear weapons? We have them, so every other country should be allowed to have them too. In other words, the U.S. is morally equivalent to North Korea. Even so, the argument goes, one politician is just as corrupt as all the others. That cannot be true. Just as the Bible teaches there are different levels of sin, judgment, and reward, so each person has a different level of goodness and a different level of corruption. No politician is sinless, but there are many who are generally good people and many who are generally bad, and I'm sure there are some who are a mixed bag.

Obviously, we're not talking about the goodness that only salvation can bring. Many unbelievers could be categorized as good people and many believers, unfortunately, could be categorized as bad people. I have heard Steve say this in his teachings.

Return to “Miscellaneous”