The Shack

mattrose

Re: The Shack

Post by mattrose » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:41 am

dwight92070 wrote:Okay, thanks for clarifying that. I see where you are coming from now. I'm not sure if that changes any of my previously mentioned arguments, however. We could say that God submits to or yields to our will only when it is His will to do so, because we know that He does not always grant us everything we ask for. So, in that sense, we're both right.
Yes, and I think that is all Young was saying too.

21centpilgrim

Post by 21centpilgrim » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:16 pm

We can now here straight from WP Young about what he believes, here is a review of his book that is more straightforward than some subtle themes in the Shack.

https://www.challies.com/book-reviews/w ... -about-god

I know that Tim Challies is reformed, so I don't fully support all of this article but it is needed, imo.
Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:03 pm

21centpilgrim wrote:We can now here straight from WP Young about what he believes, here is a review of his book that is more straightforward than some subtle themes in the Shack.

https://www.challies.com/book-reviews/w ... -about-god

I know that Tim Challies is reformed, so I don't fully support all of this article but it is needed, imo.
I've never liked much of anything I've read from Tim Challies, but here is a more thorough (chapter by chapter) review that I wrote on the new book
http://matthew94.blogspot.com/2017/03/l ... t-god.html

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:30 pm

I saw the movie a couple days ago. Good casting. Good acting. I think I liked the part with the Wisdom character the most. I would have preferred more of an actual story. I recall now that I watched it over two evenings. It's not exactly action packed or super insightful. Kids would be bored, I guess. Many adults too. But overall, not a bad bit of entertainment - interesting for adult Christians to watch and discuss. I liked it.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:50 pm

If I want entertainment (and I do), I would rather watch Sherlock Holmes, or Star Wars, or some western, than some pseudo-religious movie, any day. At least Sherlock Holmes and Star Wars and the westerns make no pretense of being Christian.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:08 pm

dwight92070 wrote:If I want entertainment (and I do), I would rather watch Sherlock Holmes, or Star Wars, or some western, than some pseudo-religious movie, any day. At least Sherlock Holmes and Star Wars and the westerns make no pretense of being Christian.
Well, when it comes to the few things that I know a lot about (more than most, anyway), movies never portray those things accurately. I therefore always assume that movies are also inaccurate in their portrayal of the things that I don't know much about.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:33 pm

I watched it last night. I thought it was a respectful and heartfelt theodicy, and a fairly standard one at that. I couldn't see any sign of this supposed universalism. If it was present, it was pretty subtle, but it seemed more like just your standard Arminian agnosticism with regard to what God may do with non Christians who were otherwise responsive and aware of him and his provision for them.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Singalphile wrote:
Well, when it comes to the few things that I know a lot about (more than most, anyway), movies never portray those things accurately. I therefore always assume that movies are also inaccurate in their portrayal of the things that I don't know much about.
Dwight speaking: When it comes to movies that entertain, I'm not real concerned about accuracy. If I am watching a movie about God and/or the Bible and our Christian walk, I want extraordinary accuracy, allowing for possible allegories.

Return to “Miscellaneous”