Baptists and Baptism

Homer

Baptists and Baptism

Post by Homer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Steve,

In the past few years I have noticed what appears to be a sea change among Baptist theologians (Southern Baptists, at least) regarding the practice of Baptism. Just today I came across this comment by David Alan Black of Southeastern Baptist Seminary:
However, in many parts of the world, including Ethiopia, new converts are first tested and instructed (sometimes for many months) before they are baptized. “Is he a genuine convert?” is the question posed. “Time will tell,” says the church. But Jesus says plainly that we are to baptize new converts and then teach them. Notice that carefully! Beware of supplanting the language of Jesus with the logic of man. A Christian makes an explicit pledge of commitment to Jesus Christ through the waters of baptism. That, ultimately, is what baptism is all about. It was not in the raising of a hand or the walking of an aisle that the early church saw the public profession of faith. It was in the public act of water baptism. So then, an unbaptized believer is a contradiction in terms. It is as infamous an oxymoron as jumbo shrimp.
Black went on to write:
So I plead: let’s return to the biblical pattern and the example set for us by the early church.
I have a book published not long ago by Southern Baptists, "Believer's Baptism", edited by Thomas Schreiner, which has an article regarding Alexander Campbell's view on baptism. in the article it is acknowledged that the mature views of Campbell on baptism, and Campbell himself, have been treated unfairly over the many years, and indicated a basic agreement with Campbell. Black's view sounds much the same as that espoused by Campbell.

Black's plea would seem to indicate that he was in the minority when he wrote it.

I know your expressed views seem to align with Black's position. Have you noticed an evolving position among the Baptists? The baptisms I have attended at Baptist churches always seem to involve a talk downplaying baptism into nothing more than a testimony of sorts.

dwight92070

Re: Baptists and Baptism

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:57 pm

I agree with Black on this issue. I grew up going to a Baptist church in Colorado, but I have not been to one in years. We currently go to a non-denominational home church. There were 6 in our family - Dad, Mom, and us 4 kids. During my preteens and teen years, I was the only one in our family that chose not to be baptized. My sister and my 2 brothers all chose to be baptized, but I am pretty sure that today, they would say they were just baptized to 'fit in" with the other kids at church, not because of any relationship with Jesus.

Our Baptist church had a Church Membership List always available to view in the lobby. When I looked up our family, my name was the only one not listed. That hurt me and I really didn't know why they left my name out, and I never really asked about it. As I look back, I realize it was because I was not baptized. If you were not baptized, you were not considered a church member. To this day, I do not accept the nonbiblical idea of church membership. But I also reject the idea of teens (or anyone) getting baptized just because it's "the thing to do" to be accepted at your church.

But for true born-again believers, baptism is the 1st step of obedience to Jesus, and is very important. However I reject that a person cannot be saved unless he/she is baptized. But why would a true disciple not want to be baptized?

steve

Re: Baptists and Baptism

Post by steve » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Homer, I have been on the road the past five days, and did not see your post until now. I honestly don't know if there is a change on this issue among Baptists. There might be. However, there are about forty denominations that call themselves "Baptist," and they obviously differ from one another in certain respects. It may be that some Baptists have always regarded baptism with greater esteem and urgency than have some other Baptist groups. I cannot say that I have monitored them enough to know. I myself was in a Baptist church until age 16, but have not belonged to one since then.

Return to “Miscellaneous”