In what name do we baptize?

21centpilgrim

In what name do we baptize?

Post by 21centpilgrim » Sat May 06, 2017 6:53 pm

so we all know the great commission instruction- to baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Matt 28:19)

And we know that the record in Acts tells us that apostles did not do this but baptized in the name of Jesus.

So why this discrepancy? Were the disciples being disobedient to Christ and his instructions? Did they forget? Does it matter today how baptism is administered?

I remember faintly that 'Jesus only' , who are modelists right?, that they baptize according to the Acts model.

anyways, thanks for the consideration.
Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.

steve7150

Re: In what name do we baptize?

Post by steve7150 » Sat May 06, 2017 7:58 pm

And we know that the record in Acts tells us that apostles did not do this but baptized in the name of Jesus.

So why this discrepancy? Were the disciples being disobedient to Christ and his instructions? Did they forget? Does it matter today how baptism is administered?

I don't think this is necessarily a discrepancy , just that there may not be a single etched in stone method, so i would go with what the Apostles actually did since they were with Jesus a lot and used this method after his resurrection.

Return to “Miscellaneous”