Other life in the Universe

dwight92070

Other life in the Universe

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:21 am

Deuteronomy 10:14-15 These verses, IMO, show us that there is no other life out there, or at least intelligent life.

"Behold, to the Lord your God belong heaven and the highest heavens, the earth and all that is in it. Yet on your fathers did the Lord set His affection to love them, and He chose their descendants after them, even you above all peoples, as it is this day."

If there were other intelligent life out there (obviously that God created), then wouldn't He set His affections on them too, or at least the godly ones among them? But these verses tell us that He didn't set His affection on any in the universe except Abraham and his descendants. The verse says "your fathers", so by extension we can include all of the godly line back to Adam.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Re: Other life in the Universe

Post by backwoodsman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:43 am

It seems that reasoning would have to apply to anyone other than the Israelites to whom it was addressed, terrestrial or extraterrestrial. So if it says there's no extraterrestrial intelligent life, then it also says there's no non-Israelite life. What am I missing?

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:31 am

backwoodsman wrote:It seems that reasoning would have to apply to anyone other than the Israelites to whom it was addressed, terrestrial or extraterrestrial. So if it says there's no extraterrestrial intelligent life, then it also says there's no non-Israelite life. What am I missing?
Dwight speaking: Wow, now you got me thinking! Good point but I think you're looking at it backwards. We know that God chose certain people on earth over others, i.e. He chose HIs godly ones and Israel over ungodly ones and non-Israelites. If there were no chosen people, then there couldn't be any other people, because the chosen ones are "taken out of" all other people. "Come out from among them and be separate", the Lord said. So if there if there is no chosen extraterrestrial intelligent life. then there can't be any other extraterrestrial intelligent life either, unless you think that God created extraterrestrial intelligent life, but has no love for them, which doesn't fit His character. If there were other intelligent life out there, Jesus would still be their Creator and Savior and Lord.

So the fact that some are chosen (on earth) shows that the non-chosen exist.

Conversely the fact that none are chosen (out there) shows that the non-chosen do not exist.

TK

Post by TK » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:35 pm

But Dwight even your quoted verse does not hold true in the new covenant.

Maybe the aliens never sinned so there was no need to call out a "chosen people." :shock:

Timios

Post by Timios » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Or perhaps every last one of them is evil, and refuse to repent, so that there is no one for God to call out.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:32 pm

TK wrote:But Dwight even your quoted verse does not hold true in the new covenant.

Dwight speaking: I don't know why you would say that. As believers, are we not the seed of Abraham? He has set His affections on us.

Maybe the aliens never sinned so there was no need to call out a "chosen people." :shock:
Dwight speaking: I suppose that's a possibility. Then they would be in a similar condition as Gabriel and Michael, angels who never sinned. So if that were true, then if there are any aliens out there, they are all righteous.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:10 pm

Timios wrote:Or perhaps every last one of them is evil, and refuse to repent, so that there is no one for God to call out.
Dwight speaking: I suppose that is a possibility too. If that is right, then wouldn't they be in the same condition as Satan?

So we have 3 possibilities:

1. They exist, but they never sinned, so are righteous, so they will be in heaven with God and us.
2. They exist, but always sin and refuse to repent, so are evil, so they will be in hell with satan and unbelievers.
3. They don't exist.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:49 pm

I suppose another possibility is that both of those creatures exist. It's interesting that if both exist, that would fit the description of Satan's angels, who will never repent, and God's angels, who will never sin. Yet God has not set His affection on either group. So isn't it possible that angels could be the only "aliens" out there?

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:18 am

Correction, instead of "Satan's angels" in the previous post, I should have said "Satan and his angels".

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Personally, I think the Bible was written to humans and the verse in question addresses human concerns. It doesn't speak one way or the other to the possible existence of life on other planets. I just don't think that is something the verse was attempting to address.

Return to “Miscellaneous”