Marriage gets a bad rap.

dwight92070

Marriage gets a bad rap.

Post by dwight92070 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:14 pm

Marriage is not the solution to your problems. Through the years, I have heard many Christians say this. Usually, it's married Christians who say this, although recently I had a young single Christian tell me this. My response?

Maybe not all of them, but I know at least one problem that it will solve. God Himself stated the problem and the solution:

Genesis 2:18 and 24: "Then the Lord God said, 'It is not good for the man to be alone (the problem); I will make him a helper suitable for him. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.'" (the solution)

jasonmodar

Re: Marriage gets a bad rap.

Post by jasonmodar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:31 pm

dwight92070 wrote:Marriage is not the solution to your problems. Through the years, I have heard many Christians say this. Usually, it's married Christians who say this, although recently I had a young single Christian tell me this. My response?

Maybe not all of them, but I know at least one problem that it will solve. God Himself stated the problem and the solution:

Genesis 2:18 and 24: "Then the Lord God said, 'It is not good for the man to be alone (the problem); I will make him a helper suitable for him. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.'" (the solution)
In my experience the line "Marriage is not the solution to your problems" is generally aimed at people's propensity to turn marriage into their savior.

Another problem it appears to solve is addressed by Paul in 1 Cor. 7:9 - But if they don’t have self-control, let them marry. For it’s better to marry than to burn.

I agree with your premise about companionship. I love my wife dearly and wouldn't trade being married to her for anything.

Return to “Miscellaneous”