Charlottesville, VA Turmoil

Perry

Re: Charlottesville, VA Turmoil

Post by Perry » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:00 pm

psimmond wrote: I love when people say, "The Civil War had nothing to do with slavery. It was about states' rights." Yup! The southern states wanted the right to do what? Oh yeah, now I remember. :lol:
Apparently Lincoln would have disagreed with you.

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lin ... reeley.htm

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Perry,
I see nothing in that article about why southern states wanted to secede. They said themselves they wanted to maintain their "peculiar institution," i.e. slavery. Did Lincoln somewhere say the southern states were lying about this? If the southern states were not trying to secede over the issue of slavery, Lincoln would not have had to start a war to preserve the union.
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:34 am

psimmond wrote:Perry,
I see nothing in that article about why southern states wanted to secede. They said themselves they wanted to maintain their "peculiar institution," i.e. slavery. Did Lincoln somewhere say the southern states were lying about this? If the southern states were not trying to secede over the issue of slavery, Lincoln would not have had to start a war to preserve the union.
He started a war to create a Nation. We lost our Republic. Many now say if it hadn't happened slavery would have died out earlier and peaceably as it was and had done in many other parts of the world at the time. It was opportunistic at least to serve the larger effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:57 pm

darinhouston,
I'm afraid I just don't understand your comment. We were already a nation and a republic.

It's likely slavery would have died out eventually without a war, but there's no way to know how long it would have taken. The South made it clear they wanted to secede because they felt alienated by the new Republican President and felt their economic system was being threatened by the growing abolitionist movement in the north.
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

Return to “Miscellaneous”