Charlottesville, VA Turmoil

robbyyoung

Charlottesville, VA Turmoil

Post by robbyyoung » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:02 pm

Hello All,

Today intolerance was on full display in the state of Virginia. General Robert E. Lee is still revered as a hometown hero in the state of VA. Removing his statue from public property denotes a statement that enemy's of the United States should not be memorialized on the taxpayers dime, at least in Virginia. However, freedom of speech to protest the effort is acceptable. It is not against the law to be pro white, black, red, yellow or anything else. But, intolerance reared its ugly head today. Somebody was not content with speech and decided to use physical force to silence the opposing view. Now, the supreme ugliness of human nature is on full display, and the race hustlers/ideologs will take full advantage, of the situation, to promote their sinister divisive stronghold. As christians and ideologs in our own right, when does condemnation go to far? Is it when we craft the power of speech to knowingly provoke a negative reaction? Even when your right, rhetoric most always only adds fuel to the fire. What are your thoughts?

Blessings!

Singalphile

Re: Charlottesville, VA Turmoil

Post by Singalphile » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:12 pm

I'm not aware of that situation but ...
robbyyoung wrote:As christians and ideologs in our own right, when does condemnation go to far? Is it when we craft the power of speech to knowingly provoke a negative reaction?
Yes. I think it's a mistake for us cause offense or a negative reaction regarding any political or theological party or system. When you see "envy, strife, evil-speakings, evil-surmisings" (1 Timothy 6:4), then it's gone too far, I think. The NT is pretty rife with teaching against that sort of attitude and behavior. For example, "If possible, on your part, live at peace with everyone," Paul says and, "Pursue peace with all men," Hebrews says.

For I guess 15 years or so, I've tried to follow these rules: 1) Never use any possibly inflammatory words or phrases, 2) never question others' motives, and 3) never insult other people or their opinions.

That means lots of editing or just keeping my mouth closed.
robbyyoung wrote:Even when your right, rhetoric most always only adds fuel to the fire.
I agree, if by "rhetoric" you mean, "the undue use of exaggeration or display; bombast". If nothing else, I would say that there are much better ways of persuading people.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:31 am

Hi Singalphile,

Thanks for contributing to the discussion. You have made some really good points, all to which I agree. When things get heated, defusing the situation is the best course of action. But some may say it's easier said than done; but as you eluded to, if you make it a habit or practice to not inject negative energy into a situation, it will be instinctive to stay on the narrow path of righteousness.

Blessings.

MMathis

Post by MMathis » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:46 pm

When thugs show up armed with bats, urine bombs, feces bombs, gas masks, flame throwers and rocks...what do you think will happen. The left is out of their minds in this country. The whole thing sits on their shoulders.
MMathis
Las Vegas NV

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:32 pm

General Robert E. Lee is still revered as a hometown hero in the state of VA. Removing his statue from public property denotes a statement that enemy's of the United States should not be memorialized on the taxpayers dime, at least in Virginia

They didn't remove his statue they criminally destroyed public property because the leftist so called protesters decided they had the moral right to. Next they may decide they have the moral right to burn your house down or your city or your car or your church. To me "the left" seem crazy even demon possessed.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:52 am

MMathis wrote:When thugs show up armed with bats, urine bombs, feces bombs, gas masks, flame throwers and rocks...what do you think will happen. The left is out of their minds in this country. The whole thing sits on their shoulders.
Hi MMathis,

Yes, " the leftists" in our country are steeped in physical violence, destruction of property, and censorship of all opposing views. Their poison/physical violence is most definitely on the rise (more so than any right-wing group). However, what is your opinion concerning confederate monuments and the flag? For me it's very simple; our country's sordid past must be discussed in the proper context. For example, museums are appropriate venues for most all controversial subjects. But, when the confederate flag is flying above the state capitol building, it is out of context and promotes a reverence for traitors and enemies of our country. Statues and monuments are no different. The South were true enemies of this country and context will always matter when visible representations are erected in the public domain. Of course, private property and ownership of such items are different. The government must stay focused on symbols that unite, and tax dollars should support historical museums.

Blessings.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:03 am

steve7150 wrote:They didn't remove his statue they criminally destroyed public property because the leftist so called protesters decided they had the moral right to. Next they may decide they have the moral right to burn your house down or your city or your car or your church. To me "the left" seem crazy even demon possessed.
Hi steve7150,

True. "The left" is turning more and more violent nowadays. I don't think these people have any desire to tone it down. Maybe if we start prosecuting these people on a regular basis it might make a difference. I think they are mostly intolerant young people who believe they are a force for good. Their movement is like a religion, and as you know, religious zealots are immersed in ideology, even unto death.

Blessings.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:15 am

However, what is your opinion concerning confederate monuments and the flag? For me it's very simple; our country's sordid past must be discussed in the proper context. For example, museums are appropriate venues for most all controversial subjects. But, when the confederate flag is flying above the state capitol building, it is out of context and promotes a reverence for traitors and enemies of our country. Statues and monuments are no different. The South were true enemies of this country and context will always matter when visible representations are erected in the public domain.

You make a good case but i think it s/b added that many Southerners look at the confederate flag as history and more about states rights , so "sordid" and "offensive" to a certain extent can be in the eyes of the beholder.
Also is this a path that could lead to destroying Mt Rushmore and other memorials of our founding fathers because some Presidents were slave owners? Who is the judge?

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:24 pm

steve7150 wrote:You make a good case but i think it s/b added that many Southerners look at the confederate flag as history and more about states rights , so "sordid" and "offensive" to a certain extent can be in the eyes of the beholder. Also is this a path that could lead to destroying Mt Rushmore and other memorials of our founding fathers because some Presidents were slave owners? Who is the judge?
Hi steve7150,

I understand, but "the eye of the beholder" is most always the losing side and sympathizers, no matter how they try to spin the argument to detract from the highest form of lawlessness and high crime established in our constitution--which is treason. The South chose to break the law and the principles they swore to uphold. Instead of making a vigorous argument in the chambers of Congress to change the law, they chose to be enemies of the very idea which permits them to descent. Losing an argument does not permit U.S. citizens to commit treason. A contextual sordid and offensive action can only be applied to one side in this debate--the South!

However, as I stated earlier, there may be some current monuments that are inappropriate, because they are out of context. As U.S. citizens, we are the judge. We petition the government with our grievances. In the end, we may win or lose the argument, but what we are not permitted to do is commit treasonist acts. If so, and like the South you lose, why should your losing emblems and associations be revered by the defenders of the U.S. Constitution? (Especially without the proper historical context which highlights the ilk).

Blessings.

MMathis

Post by MMathis » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:32 pm

I am a Yankee thru and thru. I know southerners who find any monument to Abe Lincoln offensive.

The problem is who gets to decide what is or is not to be tolerated in the public. If a community erected a statue of Lee then they must have wanted it. What gives thugs the right to fly there and force them to take it down. The confederate Air Force had to change their name to commerative Air Force because some people were offended. Any confederate flags that were flown were flown below the US flag.

Lincoln would not be permitted today to do what he had to do to hold the union together. Ironically the left would be standing in the way.
MMathis
Las Vegas NV

Return to “Miscellaneous”