Here's a couple of questions for you.

dwight92070

Here's a couple of questions for you.

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:17 pm

I've heard it said many times, "If you're not worshipping God, you're worshipping something." Can someone tell me where that is in the Bible? In fact, just yesterday, a brother said, "If you're not a believer, you're worshipping Satan." Is that Biblical?

MMathis

Re: Here's a couple of questions for you.

Post by MMathis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:48 pm

I'm not sure how you can worship satan if you are a non believer. It would seem if you believe there is a Satan, you would have to believe there is a God.
MMathis
Las Vegas NV

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:39 pm

I've heard it said many times, "If you're not worshipping God, you're worshipping something." Can someone tell me where that is in the Bible? In fact, just yesterday, a brother said, "If you're not a believer, you're worshipping Satan." Is that Biblical?

It seems in the bible there are clear distinctions between light and darkness and you're either in one or the other seems to be a theme of the bible. I don't have an exact quote but statements like "God is light, in him there is no darkness" suggests that if you're not with God you're in darkness. Satan is associated with darkness and so is "the world" and Satan is called "the god of this world" and "the Ruler of the world." So Jesus called Satan "the Ruler of this world" therefore if you're not worshipping God the logical conclusion is that you are subject to Satan.
I also think people are wired to be part of something greater then themselves perhaps to find meaning in life. So if it isn't God it may be sports teams or celebrities or politics etc.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:00 pm

MMathis wrote:I'm not sure how you can worship satan if you are a non believer. It would seem if you believe there is a Satan, you would have to believe there is a God.
Dwight: I think this brother was not saying that unbelievers were consciously worshipping satan, rather that that was their default condition, given that they did not follow God. I don't know if this is true, but this brother believes it.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:19 pm

steve7150 wrote:I've heard it said many times, "If you're not worshipping God, you're worshipping something." Can someone tell me where that is in the Bible? In fact, just yesterday, a brother said, "If you're not a believer, you're worshipping Satan." Is that Biblical?

It seems in the bible there are clear distinctions between light and darkness and you're either in one or the other seems to be a theme of the bible. I don't have an exact quote but statements like "God is light, in him there is no darkness" suggests that if you're not with God you're in darkness. Satan is associated with darkness and so is "the world" and Satan is called "the god of this world" and "the Ruler of the world." So Jesus called Satan "the Ruler of this world" therefore if you're not worshipping God the logical conclusion is that you are subject to Satan.

Dwight: So if an unbeliever is held captive by Satan, even unknowingly, which is probably the case for most unbelievers, it may not matter whether he is worshipping Satan or not, because Satan has him where he wants him, i.e. separated from God. Or would we classify worshipping Satan, knowingly, as a worse sin than just ignorantly being held captive by him?

I also think people are wired to be part of something greater then themselves perhaps to find meaning in life. So if it isn't God it may be sports teams or celebrities or politics etc.
Dwight: So again, even though someone may not actually worship sports or celebrities,etc., if their interest in these things hinders them from obeying God, then they might just as well be worshipping those things, because they are setting up a roadblock between them and God. Or again, is worshipping those things actually a deeper level of idolatry than just allowing them to interfere with one's walk with God?

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:00 am

I don't recall anything biblical like that, but I could be proven wrong. So I would avoid that kind of "you're worshiping Satan [or money or whatever]" statement. I don't really see the point.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:15 pm

This brother witnesses to unbelievers constantly. So, I think he uses those beliefs to "strengthen" his witnessing, but I suspect that it may be pushing people away rather than drawing them.

Return to “Miscellaneous”