U.S. Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Singalphile

U.S. Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Post by Singalphile » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:03 pm

I know politics isn't our usual thing, but this Kavanaugh situation is fascinating, right?

I've only read a few stories, and I watched or read most of the hearings and testimonies. I can only think of two realistic possibilities, and both involve politics:

1) The accuser (Ford) concocted the story either for personal reasons or to simply delay the confirmation as long as possible. Ford knows that there is no additional corroborating evidence, but she hopes that something might come to light that will sink his confirmation. Even if not, she hopes to hurt his reputation and/or delay the confirmation as long as possible. If that's the case, it's extremely unlikely that she can sink his confirmation, but at minimum, the judge will be tainted in the minds of many.

2) The accuser (Ford) is telling the truth or has some equally or more damning story in reserve. If this is the case, she is intentionally holding back the evidence so as to draw out the confirmation as long as possible. She will slowly reveal the evidence over the next few weeks (as long as possible) until it becomes evident that the accused lied. The goal would be to delay the process until the next Senate election when the majority party in the Senate will possibly change hands, which will end any chance of another nominee during the current president's term(s).

To my mind, both seem possible. At the moment, there is almost no evidence of any guilt, and yet it's hard to believe that Ford would bring such a weak lie against this particular nominee.

It is interesting that the nominee is not particularly left or right wing in the judicial sense. There are qualified judges who would be much more liked or disliked, depending on your side.

Most importantly, how should believers handle this sort of situation? I think the most important thing is to show love and compassion to all involved, while also remaining fair, objective, and calmly open-minded. If anyone will be brought to Christ through this, it will be by through that example, I think. Obviously, we can pray for truth to be revealed.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Homer

Re: U.S. Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Post by Homer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:48 pm

I must say I was surprised that Ms. Ford was not questioned more closely and I hope the FBI will do so. She has maintained that although the details about the alleged attack are flawlessly etched into her brain (the stairs, bedroom, music turned up loud, attempted rape and who was involved, how Judge jumped on them and inadvertently allowed her to escape, and their laughing at her as they went downstairs) she can't remember other details before or after the alleged attack (where it occurred, how she got there, how she got home, etc.) yet she knew she only had one beer, which had to occur before the alleged incident. How is it she is certain about that? Is she hiding her own drinking at the party? The judge's drinking history seems important to those questioning him in regard to his memory. Why isn't her drinking being scrutinized?

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:01 pm

Agreed. If the act did occur as Ford claims, then she has more evidence. But if she had let it out all at once, Kavanaugh would have withdrawn months ago and someone else would have been nominated and confirmed by now. That would have defeated the whole purpose. They just needed to feed out enough information to get a few key senators to agree to delay (which they accomplished).

As I see it, nobody cares much about some drunken teenage foolishness 35 years ago. The goal was/is to drag this out until the November 6 elections. If there is more corroborating evidence, it is being intentionally held back, and it will be slowly released over the next few weeks. It's an excellent strategy. I daresay that people on the other side of the aisle would do the same thing (or at least applaud it) if the roles were reversed. That is, if she is telling the truth (even if slightly embellished).

Otherwise, Ford just made it all up, and she intentionally kept the story as vague as possible, just hoping to raise questions and doubts for as long as possible, to keep a few senators on the fence.

I'm not sure which of those options is correct. We'll see. I think it's very unlikely that she is just sincerely mistaken, which is one theory.

Sad, but undeniably interesting (at least to me).

Edit: Oh, and I did finally hear Thursday's 8/27 TNP show, in which Steve addressed the matter briefly.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:00 am

IMO this may have happened 36 years ago in High School and K would have been 17, so to now use this as a reason to keep him off the SCOTUS is more then unfair. This is all political & i wish one senator had the backbone to say so.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:21 pm

steve7150 wrote:IMO this may have happened 36 years ago in High School and K would have been 17, so to now use this as a reason to keep him off the SCOTUS is more then unfair. This is all political & i wish one senator had the backbone to say so.
I think I agree. Short of something really bizarre, it's difficult to see how any behavior as a 17 year old, which did not extend into adult life for over 35 years, would be relevant to a person's character or job. However, if a person were lying about it, that would be a problem. In this case, I'm not aware of any evidence that the accused is lying.

Return to “Miscellaneous”