How to Inspire Believers

Micah

How to Inspire Believers

Post by Micah » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:03 am

Hey everyone! I have a bit of a question, here. I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forums but I hope so.

All my life I've been raised in a "Christian" home. By that, I mean that my parents are Christians, they taught me to read my Bible and pray, they took me to church every week, etc. So all of my life the people who I've hung out with, I always presumed to be Christians. Usually, by their own admission, they were Christians.

However, as I get older, (I'm currently 18) I've noticed that many of these "Christians" don't seem too concerned about following Jesus, at least from what I can tell. They watch R rated movies, smoke, drink, party, etc. Most of the time they spend is on things such as sports, or some other hobby/activity. And they arrive at Church every Sunday. What confuses me is that I can see fruit in their lives, and they certainly talk as if they're Christians. They may even say something like, "I work hard in sports because God's honored by my hard work." But, in an ultimate sense, it doesn't seem to me that their motivation for anything really comes from love of Christ. Especially when they haven't picked up their Bible in over a month.

Now, I'm not here to judge whether these people are saved or not. While there are principles in the Bible for doing so, I'm honestly content to leave that part up to God. I simply want to do the best I can to spur these people on to the point where love of Christ *is* their ultimate motivation for whatever they do.

My question is how might I go about this? How can I somehow help these people to value Christ as they should? I've been praying for them a lot, of course, but I'm strictly talking as far as actions are concerned. Is it enough just to "set the example" by my own lifestyle? Or is there an active way I can go about this?

Thanks in advance! :)

morbo3000

Re: How to Inspire Believers

Post by morbo3000 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:30 pm

When I was your age, I was absolutely passionate about lukewarm Christianity, especially people not paying attention to reaching out to the lost. Our community had a "singsperation" every 5th Sunday, where people from all the churches gathered for an evening to share songs. I was totally into Keith Green, because I was piano player, loved his style and his message. So, I learned this song and sung it there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em5gL0Rw4Aw

"Jesus came to your door, you've left him out the streets."
"Jesus rose from the dead, and you can't get out of your bed." etc. etc.

Needless to say, it wasn't taken very well. "Who does he think he is..? He's 16. And judging us."

The bottom line, though, was that I was singing to myself, and also that "the church" as a whole was/is apathetic, and her individual members are complacent in the comfort of their soft chairs, and polite sermons. The lack of vision for Christianity being radical followership of Jesus keeps us pacified.
My question is how might I go about this? How can I somehow help these people to value Christ as they should? I've been praying for them a lot, of course, but I'm strictly talking as far as actions are concerned. Is it enough just to "set the example" by my own lifestyle? Or is there an active way I can go about this?
The only way people stop being comfortable is when they become uncomfortable. If you really want to make a difference in theses people's lives, you will have to make them uncomfortable. That doesn't mean you are a jerk, or that you are condemning. But it is ok if there are things in what you say, and how you live your life that draw attention to that being a Christian isn't about intellectual assent to a dogma, or a commitment to a holy book, or being in the right religious club, or following the right rules. It's about laying down your nets, and following Jesus with your whole life. That will be attractive to some, and push others away. Both for the right reasons.

You should listen to Steve's lectures on Counter-cultural Christianity. They had a huge impact on me.
http://www.thenarrowpath.com/topical_le ... terculture

Also, "Genuinely Following Jesus."
http://www.thenarrowpath.com/topical_le ... owingJesus
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Micah

Post by Micah » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:31 pm

@Morbo3000 I just realized it's been almost a year now! Just wanted to say that I really appreciated your post a lot. It made me think and to this day I've been trying to put that into practice (making others feel uncomfortable without sounding like a jerk haha.) So thank you!

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:04 pm

Micah wrote:@Morbo3000 I just realized it's been almost a year now! Just wanted to say that I really appreciated your post a lot. It made me think and to this day I've been trying to put that into practice (making others feel uncomfortable without sounding like a jerk haha.) So thank you!
Thanks for the kind word Micah. I always look at the "active topics" when I come to the site, so I read your question and lo and behold, there was my answer. I'd completely forgotten about it. Interesting to read myself saying things I need to hear. A good pastor preaches to himself first.

How is the makingpeoplecomfortablenotbeingajerk project going? See any fruit? Push-back?
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Micah

Post by Micah » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:57 pm

morbo3000 wrote:
Micah wrote:@Morbo3000 I just realized it's been almost a year now! Just wanted to say that I really appreciated your post a lot. It made me think and to this day I've been trying to put that into practice (making others feel uncomfortable without sounding like a jerk haha.) So thank you!
Thanks for the kind word Micah. I always look at the "active topics" when I come to the site, so I read your question and lo and behold, there was my answer. I'd completely forgotten about it. Interesting to read myself saying things I need to hear. A good pastor preaches to himself first.

How is the makingpeoplecomfortablenotbeingajerk project going? See any fruit? Push-back?
Haha, I hear you there. I guess it just goes to show that we're always being molded by wisdom and truth, no matter who presents it.

Anyways, it's gone a little bit of both. Some listen and change, others simply ignore it. I guess it's a learning process for both myself and them in the end.

Return to “General Questions”