Were Adam and Eve vegans?

steve7150

Re: Were Adam and Eve vegans?

Post by steve7150 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Oh, and cake. I reserve the right to have cake at least once a week, if I want. I won't be leagalistic about it.

I'm not legalistic about Christ but i have to be pretty legalistic about this because i know myself. So it's out with the ice cream and cows milk and in with the almond milk. I don't mean to disgust you but in one of Mcdougall's videos he describes what gives cows milk it's nice attractive white color, he says it's puss. In every ounce of cows milk are hundreds of thousands of puss cells, sorry. I still drink coffee but with almond milk.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:37 pm

steve7150 wrote:I don't mean to disgust you but in one of Mcdougall's videos he describes what gives cows milk it's nice attractive white color, he says it's puss.
I've put in quite a bit of quality time with both cows and goats, and that completely blows the guy's credibility with me. I don't care if he is a doctor, that's just absolutely ridiculous, and if he doesn't research what he says any better than that, I'd have serious issues listening to anything else he says. Healthy cows don't have pus in their milk; and if a cow is sick, she's milked separately and the milk thrown away.

For processed milk from commercial dairies, the government sets standards for how much pus can be in milk, just like they set standards for how many insect parts can be in your breakfast cereal, or ground up in your bread. Do you really think there's not similar standards for something gross in your almond milk? That's not a reason not to drink milk, but it's one more reason to get fresh raw milk from someone whose kids drink the same milk I do, instead of the processed stuff from who knows where at the grocery store.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:46 pm

For processed milk from commercial dairies, the government sets standards for how much pus can be in milk, just like they set standards for how many insect parts can be in your breakfast cereal, or ground up in your bread. Do you really think there's not similar standards for something gross in your almond milk? That's not would'nt havea reason not to drink milk, but it's one more reason to get fresh raw milk from someone whose kids drink the same milk I do, instead of the processed stuff from who knows where at the grocery store.
backwoodsman

OK i'm not disputing that the government sets standards and i'm just repeating what Mcdougall said, but i don't think he is lying about it. He may be wrong or he may be referring to a small sample , but i also would'nt be real confident in the throughness of the govt inspection system.
As far as believing what he says , anyone interested can go on Amazon and look at reader responses to his diet/health books.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:08 pm

I think the difference between Esselstyn and Mcdougall is that both preach avoiding meat and dairy and oils but Esselstyn also focuses on avoiding simple carbs.

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:56 pm

steve7150 wrote:... i have to be pretty legalistic about this because i know myself. So it's out with the ice cream and cows milk and in with the almond milk. I don't mean to disgust you but in one of Mcdougall's videos he describes what gives cows milk it's nice attractive white color, he says it's puss. In every ounce of cows milk are hundreds of thousands of puss cells, sorry. I still drink coffee but with almond milk.
I bought some soy milk to have with porridge, it's not too bad, but not very nice in coffee; I then bought some almond milk to try instead (at $10.80 a litre, use within four days!), coffee tastes disgusting, which surprised me; when I checked the ingredients, I found both soy & almond milk have added oils (sunflower/canola - and oils are off the allowed list). So I understand why the horrible taste! Vegetable oil with my coffee, eeeuww. Yes I know coffee is supposed to be out but I'm reducing daily amt (and I'm sure I read that in the McDougall live-in retreats they allow a coffee in the morning). I wish I drank my coffee black like my sister. I may have to revert to low-fat milk for now, leucocytes and all. :|
Suzana

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:29 pm

I found both soy & almond milk have added oils (sunflower/canola - and oils are off the allowed list). So I understand why the horrible taste! Vegetable oil with my coffee, eeeuww. Yes I know coffee is supposed to be out but I'm reducing daily amt (and I'm sure I read that in the McDougall live-in retreats they allow a coffee in the morning). I wish I drank my coffee black like my sister. I may have to revert to low-fat milk for now, leucocytes and all.

I use the Silk brand Vanilla Almond milk and it's fat free and to me has an interesting taste. One of the ingrediants is sunflower lecithin , which might be an oil but i do drink coffee and i need something in the coffee , at least for now. I also use the almond milk in cereal like shreaded wheat. I'm happy with this lifestyle, it's a value choice but it's good.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Using coconut milk as well as almond milk. Also when we go out to a restaurant i find that often i have to order a fish dish but i think it's OK on occasion.

Return to “General Questions”