Prophets to the Nations

robbyyoung

Prophets to the Nations

Post by robbyyoung » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:29 am

Hello and God Bless,

Question: Was there ever a time in biblical history when God prophesied against a nation(s), using a prophet who did not speak their language?

I'm searching and I can't see an occassion when the Prophet's message was not received via the receipient's own language. Need a little help, if I'm missing something in the biblical record.

God Bless.

[edited]

robbyyoung

Re: Prophets to the Nations

Post by robbyyoung » Sat May 30, 2015 5:12 pm

'Bump'

Can this be refuted or not?

God Bless.

[edited]

Can this be verified?

God Bless.
Last edited by robbyyoung on Sun May 31, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sat May 30, 2015 11:27 pm

Odd question... weren't many nations condemned by the prophets?

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sun May 31, 2015 6:24 am

dizerner wrote:Odd question... weren't many nations condemned by the prophets?
Hi dizerner,

Actually, answering a question with a question, irrelevant to the post, seems to be legitimately "odd" :roll:. I'm searching things out in my own personal studies, wanting to make sure the question I asked is verifiable. I respect the extreme knowledge of those on this forum to put forth the question, and of course, I respect their choice to refrain from answering. In any event, those who may have paid more attention to detail, than I, may be able to provide a YES answer to the question, pointing me to the passage(s) in scripture. Of course, the correct answer will lead me to explore other possible truths, but for now I'm soliciting the brethren to verify the data.

God Bless.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun May 31, 2015 7:24 am

Um, the question could hardly be more relevant. :roll: You think all those nations spoke Hebrew?

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sun May 31, 2015 9:21 am

Hello All,

It might be fitting to give an example concerning the post. The Prophet Jonah spoke Hebrew. He was sent to Nineveh, an Assyrian city to prophesy to the people. Now either the Assyrians spoke Hebrew or Jonah spoke Assyrian in order for the message to be understood. The question is, was there ever a time in biblical history when God prophesied against or for a nation, using a prophet who did not speak their language? The question does not concern judgment or prophecy, against or for a nation, a prophet WAS NOT sent to, rather, accounts in scripture when one WAS.

A prophet MAY KNOW of "a thing" against a person or nation (Amos 3:7), but not necessarily be sent to warn that person or nation. For example, most of the nations occupying The Land of Canaan were destroyed by God's Israel without any notifications. But to the question at hand, when The Prophet WAS SENT, God must have provided a means to effective communication through The Prophet, no language barriers, in order for the message to be clearly understood. I contend, thus far, this to be accurate. Do you agree or not?

steve

Post by steve » Sun May 31, 2015 11:01 am

robby,

I have read all of your attempts to clarify your question, and still find it hard to know whether you are asking—

a) if the prophet spoke the prophecies in his own language, though they were not understood by the recipients (if he did not know the language of the people, this would seem to be the case); or

b) if the prophet had to use an interpreter who knew the people's language; or

c) if the prophet was given a miraculous gift of tongues to speak to people in their own language, though it was unintelligible to himself.

These are different scenarios, and each is a possible meaning of your question so far as I can understand it. In any case, the reason no one has attempted to answer, besides the ambiguity of the question, might be that we have no way of knowing whether the Hebrew prophets were multi-lingual. They probably were (since most people living outside the USA seem to have been, throughout much of history). The prophecies were recorded for Israel's scriptures in Israel's language. Whether they were ever communicated in the presence of the foreign powers condemned in them, and if so, in what language, would be mere speculation.

Perhaps you could let us know why this question is of importance to you, and that might reveal to us more of the nature of your inquiry.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun May 31, 2015 11:10 am

I apologize Robby, it was not my intention to belittle your question. I'd say it was probably fairly easy to get an interpreter, we do have some biblical examples of that:

And they read from the book, from the law of God, translating to give the sense so that they understood the reading. (Neh 8:8 NAS)

the document which you sent to us has been translated and read before me. (Ezr 4:18 NAS)

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sun May 31, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks guys, your input really did help. No worries Dizerner. Steve, I rather not mention my reasons. Sometimes I like to explore "on the fringe" ideas that's probably better if kept to myself. Sorry for the ambiguity and "bump", which I almost never do.

God Bless.

Return to “General Questions”