The need for infallible revelation?

TruthInLove

The need for infallible revelation?

Post by TruthInLove » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:17 pm

People in general seem to feel that God has chosen to judge an individual's fitness for an enjoyable after-life based on that person's adherence to some specific and universally discernible measuring stick (e.g. teachings of past or present representatives, scientific methods, deductions from apriori knowledge, etc.) I'm curious to hear thoughts on how this expectation is justified in the Christian world-view.

Thanks in advance.

Singalphile

Re: The need for infallible revelation?

Post by Singalphile » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:34 pm

I'm not sure what you mean, but I'll just say a few words.

From a Christian perspective, as I understand it, God is pleased by behavior that stems from pure desires and motives and humility, with honor and gratitude towards Him. Those right attitudes and behaviors are best revealed to us by Jesus, but they can also apparently be perceived or arrived at, to some degree, through nature and the conscience. I'm thinking mostly of Romans 1-2.

That's all. I'm not sure what you mean by "infallible revelation" or what sort of "teachings ..., scientific methods, deductions from apriori knowledge, etc." you have in mind.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

TruthInLove

Post by TruthInLove » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:32 pm

Thanks Singalphile. I appreciate your response. I think you gathered the gist of my question and spoke to it. I apologize if I wasn't clear.

To put it another way, it seems like many disagreements between brethren regarding the Canon of Scripture, Inerrancy of Scripture, Church Authority, Church Unity, and Discipleship stem from the assumption that a God of perfect justice could only hold people accountable for their actions if he provided his expectations of them in a manner that everyone could identify and agree on how it should be interpreted.

I personally don't see where that assumption is necessarily valid or even taught in any of the Scriptures. It doesn't seem to me that doctrinal and ethical unity is necessarily a major concern with Christ. I actually called in to Steve's radio show the other day with a similar question and he was able to expound on this quite a bit. I think his response basically boils down to the points you made as well.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:51 pm

That's neat. I'm sure I heard you on the show, but I can't recall it. I agree with you mostly, except that I would say that ethical unity is important.

We have the same Spirit (one body, one Spirit, one faith, etc.), and the fruits of the Spirit are all in the ethical category.

I once heard a well-known fellow say that in addition to those fruits, there are also "doctrinal" fruits of the Spirit. I thought that to be a pretty presumptuous and odd (and divisive) sort of claim. I see little or no evidence of it, Biblically or elsewhere. As I see it, a person on a desert island with nothing but a gospel of, say, Matthew, might certainly become a true believer and follower of Jesus. The Holy Spirit would not necessarily supernaturally reveal those ideas you mention ("Canon of Scripture, Inerrancy of Scripture", etc.) or any particular view of the afterlife or end-times or atonement theory or the relationship of the Father/Son/Spirit, or the deity of Jesus, etc., but the Holy Spirit would, I believe, lead him to repent of sinful behaviors or attitudes even though his Matthew text does not mention them.

What do you think of the role of the Spirit, TruthInLove (or anyone)?
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:09 pm

What do you think of the role of the Spirit, TruthInLove (or anyone)?
I am sure that God through his spirit brings revelation to people. But what do you do if some claim God revealed one thing, and others that He revealed the contrary? It is clear that someone is making a mistake. That may be the reason that some latch onto "infallible revelation" and claim that the Bible is exactly that. This gives them a feeling of confidence, and ease, and certainty—that they have a "measuring stick" or basis on which to assess the various claims to revelation. Others are not so certain that the Bible is infallible. They see inconsistencies therein. But some of those who have total faith in its infallibility say that if a single error were found in the Bible, "we might as well throw the whole thing away." To me, that is an extreme position, and could result, for those who hold it, in loss of faith—if at some point they should encounter an error.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “General Questions”