Waging a better war against the flesh

NebraskaMike

Waging a better war against the flesh

Post by NebraskaMike » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:31 pm

The last few years Ive made great strides in becoming a better follower\disciple of Jesus. Trying to make all thoughts captive, bearing good fruit, being a better servant to the King. But, I've struggled with the internal conflict between the spirit and the flesh (tobacco, and to a lesser degree, beer).

Is this a case of the flesh demanding "Give me what I crave!" or is it a spiritual warfare thing? :twisted: Is prayer and fasting the way to coming out on top of this? Appreciate advice from anyone, especially someone who has found victory over this.

NebraskaMike

Re: Waging a better war against the flesh

Post by NebraskaMike » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:23 pm

I've been listening to Steve's teachings on Galatians (pertaining to the second half of Galations 5), which has great info on the subject. But, would really appreciate "hands on" opinion and tips as well.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu May 04, 2017 12:03 am

Mike,

I was never a smoker, tried it as a kid and never liked it. My wife smoked for over twenty years and quit when we became Christians again. She hasn't smoked since (about 35 years) but still thinks cigarette smoke smells good while I think it smells awful. She said that quitting smoking was the most difficult thing she ever did. But then some people who are not even Christians quit without much difficulty at all. My sympathies are with you and your struggle. The only advice I can give is to keep on praying for strength.

NebraskaMike

Post by NebraskaMike » Thu May 04, 2017 9:01 pm

thanks for the advice Homer. I'm going to do just that. Pray. Recently I've been doing praying and fasting (24 hours, once a week). Hopefully, strength, determination, and answers will come my way.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:51 pm

thanks for the advice Homer. I'm going to do just that. Pray. Recently I've been doing praying and fasting (24 hours, once a week). Hopefully, strength, determination, and answers will come my way.

Obviously there is no one size fits all answer or everyone would use it. I quit gradually going down from Salem to Newport to Vantage to True Greens to Carlton and to Now greens which virtually had no taste which made it easier for me to quit. But some folks can quit cold turkey so maybe trial and error but find some motivator to inspire you. I would visualize my Father coughing uncontrollably when he smoked which was what would actually happen, yet he kept smoking. I used that image to motivate me to persevere and travel down the path of giving it up.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun May 07, 2017 10:34 pm

Fortunately, I've never had any interest in tobacco or alcohol, but I do love desserts (chocolate!). I try to only eat sugar on the weekends, except on special occasions (like holidays and family birthdays).
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “General Questions”