Satan as an actuall snake or a Metaphore?

Mazx67

Satan as an actuall snake or a Metaphore?

Post by Mazx67 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:10 pm

This has probably been asked question before, but I had always thought of Satan appearing to Adam and Eve as an actuall snake. And snakes being cursed to crawl on their belly, and hearing evidence that the snake has two small claws that could have been legs at one time. But, after further studying over time, I have come to think that Moses wrote this as Hewbric imagery writtings to what Satan was like, not an actuall snake talking to Adam and Eve. Was it an actuall snake or just imagery compared to a snake?

steve

Re: Satan as an actuall snake or a Metaphore?

Post by steve » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:42 am

I believe that Hank Hanegraaf takes the whole account of a talking snake in the Garden as a metaphor, rather than literal. I take the snake in the garden as a literal reptile, but inhabited (or possessed) by Satan. I am inclined to agree with your earlier view that the "spurs" visible on a few species of snakes really are vestiges testifying to the former possession of legs.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:16 pm

This has probably been asked question before, but I had always thought of Satan appearing to Adam and Eve as an actuall snake. And snakes being cursed to crawl on their belly, and hearing evidence that the snake has two small claws that could have been legs at one time. But, after further studying over time, I have come to think that Moses wrote this as Hewbric imagery writtings to what Satan was like, not an actuall snake talking to Adam and Eve. Was it an actuall snake or just imagery compared to a snake?

IMO since God gave man dominion of the earth and never revoked this , Satan gains authority by possessing man but short of this he will possess a physical body therefore i think he actually occupied a snake or reptile of some sort. When Jesus cast out the demons from the demoniac he cast them into pigs because it was'nt time yet for them to be cast off the earth.

mikew

Post by mikew » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:33 pm

The scriptures appear to treat Satan as a uniquely created beast rather than as a spiritual entity possessing a snake.

Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtle than any animal of the field which Yahweh God had made. He said to the woman, “Has God really said, ‘You shall not eat of any tree of the garden?’”

By this verse, Satan or the serpent was made as an animal. But then there would also be the attribute that he exists for a long period of time, not being affected by death, not existing solely in the physically-appearing realm (we might say this is a spiritual realm --but that is a vague concept).

Also, Satan may be distinct from the demons or unclean spirits. In Rev 20 only Satan was bound, not the unclean spirits.

Now he probably was snakelike in appearance to Eve. Its interesting cause Satan was able to appear as an angel of light. Maybe he has had ability to change appearance. We have so little info about Satan's appearance though.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

TK

Post by TK » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:34 am

just a quick question- if Satan merely possessed a reptile of some sort (i tend to think the serpent wasnt a snake) then why did god curse the serpent? Jesus never cursed those who had been possessed by an evil spirit.

TK

Mazx67

Post by Mazx67 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:48 pm

I think God actually cursed the serpent of the Garden of Eden into the average snake of today, because of it's treachery against man. He caused it to crawl on its belly and suck up dust, which it does to this day. Why else would that be stated and have so much meaning to that actuall snake. The average man is affraid of snakes. I have killed almost everyone I have come across, just like it is mentioned in Genesis. I think that is both metaphoric (with propehtic meaning as to Christ defeating Satan) and a curse upon the actuall serpent/snake for it's treachery in the Garden of Eden.

TK

Post by TK » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:55 pm

I hear what you are saying, mazx, but what i was asking was why God cursed the snake (or serpent, or whatever form satan was using). it wouldnt seem to tbe the serpents fault that Satan chose it to use to beguile eve.

TK

mikew

Post by mikew » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:04 pm

So is there a pretty strong adherence to the idea that Satan possessed a snake or serpent rather than that Satan was a different sort of beast than others of the field?

If Satan did possess another animal (assuming that Satan can and does possess in this way), then what the look and nature of Satan himself, as a unique creature of God?
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:32 pm

The passage you quoted, Mike, seems to suggest that the serpent was indeed one of the beasts which God created, and that it was "subtle".

If it were mere Satanic possession of a snake, then it seems to me that TK's question is valid, that is, "Why would God curse all snakes? Was it their fault that Satan possessed one of them?"

On the other hand, if Satan was created as one of the beasts of the field, then are all of his serpent descendents Satanic or demonic in some way?

I don't know the answer to either question, but I would welcome any insights.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Paidion wrote: On the other hand, if Satan was created as one of the beasts of the field, then are all of his serpent descendents Satanic or demonic in some way?
It sure seems like it to me...but, of course, I'm joking because I HATE snakes.

Return to “The Pentateuch”