"Jesus in China" to air on PBS: Frontline/World

Information regarding The Narrow Path Ministries.
_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Cool, Michelle! :)
("Mission trip" in quotes because I've heard them called (just a) "mission" and/or "Summer Mission,"), same meaning.
'Wasn't exactly sure which one was right too, :oops:

What is all she doing?

I just emailed Dane to ask if he's left for Kenya yet.
Here's the org. he's involved with:
http://www.discipleshipministries.net/
Thanks.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:16 pm

Ok, Rick, I thought that perhaps you were critical of short term mission trips. I'm not really sure what she is doing...I was so shocked she even went, that I never listened much to the details. :oops:
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:06 am

I meant: "What all is she doing?" lol, :oops:

Can you get us a mission trip report sometime?
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_featheredprop

Post by _featheredprop » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:58 am

Rick_C wrote: I just emailed Dane to ask if he's left for Kenya yet.
Here's the org. he's involved with:
http://www.discipleshipministries.net/
Thanks.
Thanks for asking Rick. My wife and I leave for Kenya on a two-week mission trip on 08 Sept. We will be going to two villages: Homa Bay and Eldoret. These areas have experienced considerable civil unrest and terrible carnage following a recent election. Our plan is to do teaching in the church during the day and hold crusades in the evenings. We will also be distributing food.

This will be our first mission trip abroad. We are excited - and nervous.

peace,

dane
Reason:
"God - He'll bloody your nose and then give you a ride home on his bicycle..." Rich Mullins 1955-1997

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:47 am

dane-

i like your rich mullins quote. it's a keeper.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_featheredprop

Post by _featheredprop » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:01 pm

TK wrote:dane-

i like your rich mullins quote. it's a keeper.

TK
Indeed it is TK. Rich was a pretty unique fellow ... I miss him.

peace,

dane
Reason:
"God - He'll bloody your nose and then give you a ride home on his bicycle..." Rich Mullins 1955-1997

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:49 am

Excerpted from this link:
http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stori ... ended.html
Frontline:
Can you explain who your members are?

Pastor Jim Mingri:
About 90 percent of our members are between 20 and 40 years old. And most of them are university grads that are working in Beijing. More than 30 percent of them hold higher degrees, like a master’s degree or a PhD. They all have their own professional occupations. These are the majority. It’s a very young group of people. That’s why we developed so quickly. Within a year, we already have more than 350 people. This year is our second year and we want to limit our membership to within 600 people. We don’t want to expand. This is because our own leadership ability is still weak and may not be able to sustain too fast a growth without facing some problems. We also don’t have sufficient space to meet our membership growth.

Frontline:
At this point, are you afraid of the authority’s control?

Pastor Jin Mingri:
The most important thing is that we should follow the path taken by Jesus and his disciples. We have nothing to hide. We are Christian believers. We think that Christianity is good for Beijing, for China. But it may take some time before our intention is understood, trusted and even respected by the authority. We even have to consider the price we may have to pay. But I believe that, one day, all the problems will be resolved.
The program was "encouraging" overall, imo.
But time, and God in His sovereignty over time and circumstance, will tell the full story.

In the interim, prayers for our brothers and sisters in China.
Was I the only person who praised the Lord 'with' these folks on video-taped TV?
:) :) :) :) :) :) O Hallelujah! :) :) :) :) :) :)
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Frontline/World: "Share Your Reaction" link.

I've read these but didn't post.

One person brought up an interesting point: What will happen with regard to Chinese believers in terms of their beliefs about abortion? (It's against the law to have more than two children in China). Another issue was homosexuality.

I'm not sure how these things would play out in the public and/or political sphere in China. Here in the USA, Christians and non-Christians alike are free to encourage legislators to pass laws in accordance with their varied beliefs.

Another issue for China is mass migration to cities. With the current laws restricting the number of children to two, who will grow the food five or ten years from now? They won't have enough farmers. There's a worldwide food shortage to begin with, at least according to some experts.

Our God is sovereign.
Prayers for "Thy will be done on earth, Amen."
Reason:

Return to “Announcements”