"Jesus in China" to air on PBS: Frontline/World

Information regarding The Narrow Path Ministries.
_Rick_C

"Jesus in China" to air on PBS: Frontline/World

Post by _Rick_C » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:11 am

FRONTLINE/World: "Jesus in China"

Excerpted
"JESUS IN CHINA"

A massive wave of Christianity has been sweeping across China in recent years, and the Chinese ruling party, officially atheist, is now struggling to figure out how to control it. In “Jesus in China,” a joint project of FRONTLINE/World and the Chicago Tribune, airing Tuesday, June 24, 2008, at 9:00 p.m. ET on PBS (check local listings), reporter Evan Osnos investigates one of the fastest growing Christian populations in the world, and how it could potentially transform China at this explosive moment in the country’s development.

Osnos travels first to Henan province, a place known as the “Bethlehem of China,” home to China’s largest population of Christians. Here, members of an “underground” Christian church tell Osnos that, until recently, they worshipped in caves high above some farmers’ fields in Henan to avoid detection by the government. Walking through the weeds and woods where they used to pray, church members publicly describe for the first time the extremes to which they went to conceal their services: “The cave on the left was our Bible classroom. The one on the right was the prayer cave for 5:00 in the morning. The children came here, too.”

“This is what it’s like when a church is underground,” says Zhang Yinan, a historian of Chinese Christianity. Zhang and others say they are coming forward because the government is now signaling a new openness to their faith. But the dangers remain: In an underground “house church,” Osnos meets the wife of a well-known Chinese Christian whose husband has been jailed at least five times in recent years. “He was sentenced to seven years in prison the first time,” she says of her husband, Zhang Rongliang. “The second time, 11 months. The third time, three years in a labor camp....”

In the last few years, the Chinese government has arrested hundreds of house church leaders and, in some cases, destroyed the house churches themselves. Still, the Chinese government recognizes that its homegrown Christian movement can no longer simply be branded an instrument of foreign influence and suppressed. Last year in Beijing, the government raised the profile of its “official,” state-controlled Christian Church, opening a multimillion-dollar “megachurch,” complete with coffee bar. A senior member of China’s State Administration of Religious Affairs, Ma Yuhong, tells Osnos that the Party is embracing the religion that it once rejected. “In the old days, there used to be this saying, ‘One more Christian is one less Chinese.’ Nobody says that anymore. ... It’s no longer a foreigner’s religion; it’s now something that belongs to the people.” At the same time, Ma Yuhong makes clear that the government will still closely watch the ever-shifting line between church and state in today’s China. “You can’t make use of religion to interfere in the country’s administration,” Yuhong says. “So if anyone tries to use religion as an excuse to create divisions or to sponsor terrorist activities, that will not be tolerated.”
Those of you who can watch videos on your computer can watch it right now, if I'm not mistaken (click link on above page).

I just watched (the regular) Frontline program tonite which was an episode about the next generation in China. There was one guy who talked about becoming a Christian and how it changed his life; that he was lonely before then. Others interviewed said that in today's China "there are no moral standards"...that "women marry for money, not love"...and that a 'successful' man is expected to have about five mistresses.

China is ripe for the Gospel!
I pray God brings revival there...especially as China is becoming more powerful. We don't need a war with Communists. This world surely doesn't need it either. Thanks.
Last edited by _Rich on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_Suzana

Re: "Jesus in China" to air on PBS: Frontline/Worl

Post by _Suzana » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:26 am

Rick_C wrote:
China is ripe for the Gospel!
I pray God brings revival there...
?
You don't think they are already having a revival?
"A massive wave of Christianity has been sweeping across China in recent years,"
You might also be interested to read the really excellent book "The Heavenly Man" by Brother Yun with Paul Hathaway, and also "Back to Jerusalem", Paul Hathaway with three Chinese church leaders.
An excerpt from the latter:
"Some experts estimate that 30,000 Chinese are coming to Christ each day, which works out to more than ten million new believers annually."

"....the powerful spiritual vision of the Chinese church (is) to send 100,000 missionaries across China's borders to complete the Great Commission, even in this generation!"

Actually the Chinese church might agree with your prayer, since " they believe that part of their mandate from God is to completely evangelise their whole nation and make China 'the first truly born-again Christian country in Asia'."

Thanks for the link; it looks like you can only see a preview of this episode now, as it hasn't aired.

p.s. Rick, I also will be praying for your work situation.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Sue

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:08 am

Thanks for the heads up about this program, Rick. I also believe that there is a mighty revival sweeping through China. It will be interesting to see how PBS handles their report.

Suzana, I read The Heavenly Man a couple of years ago. It was one of the most moving books I've ever read.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:14 am

i read it as well- quite convicting.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:31 am

Oh yeah, now I remember that I read the book because of a discussion that took place on this forum.
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:56 am

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll have to watch it.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:11 pm

Hi Suzana, Michelle, Sean,

I've got 3 more stops this afternoon on the job search (thanks for your prayers), :)

Thanks for the book recommendations, Suzana & Michelle. I'll see if my library has or can get them. I read "technical theology" stuff all the time. And it's been quite some time since I read an inspiring story or biography.

As to China's revival: Yes, I suppose the nation is experiencing one! (Otherwise, Frontline probably wouldn't be covering it). It's encouraging to hear there could be about 30,000 people becoming Christians per day! I read an estimate not real long ago, perhaps a year, that had it at 10,000. These numbers seem fairly high in either case. It's just that there are so many people in China....

Y'all most likely found the Frontline & Frontline/World link.
Here it is if you didn't:
http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/ (click Frontline to the right).
The diff between the two is: When it's "World" they have more than one featured story. Last evening I watched the (current) "Young & Restless in China" episode.

I better get.
But browse around these programs: Frontline features programs that would be of interest to any Christian. Thanks, :)
Last edited by _Rich on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:17 pm

Great. There was a story about Guatemala on there too...just when my daughter is in that country. At least the story is about the aftermath of the war.
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:08 pm

Michelle, is your daughter on some kind of "mission trip" now?

Speaking of which...it reminds me:
FBFF member "featheredprop" (aka, Dane) emailed and said he'll be going on some type of mission trip to Africa soon. I'm not sure if he's left yet...will contact & inform.
Last edited by _Rich on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:31 pm

Rick, I'm not sure why you put "mission trip" in quotation marks, but yes, she's on a mission trip.
Reason:

Return to “Announcements”