Steve in WNY

Information regarding The Narrow Path Ministries.
_mattrose

Steve in WNY

Post by _mattrose » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:47 pm

This weekend Steve will be at my home church (Hess Road Wesleyan Church) in Appleton (Western NY). I just wanted to invite any forum members that may potentially live nearby to attend. He'll be speaking at a men's morning on Saturday, July 19th and both our morning services (8:45 & 11) on Sunday, July 20th. Email me at matt_hew94@hotmail.com for directions. Last I heard, two of Steve's callers from Connecticut were planning on attending, which surprised me since our town is very far from Connecticut.

In Christ,
matthew
Last edited by TK on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_featheredprop

Re: Steve in WNY

Post by _featheredprop » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:41 am

I had heard of the trip on the show, but didn't realize where it was until now. That's only about seven hours drive for me, but I do not have enough time to rearrange my weekend plans for the trip. Darn. I'd give away all of my Bart Ehrman books to be there ... :)

peace,

dane
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"God - He'll bloody your nose and then give you a ride home on his bicycle..." Rich Mullins 1955-1997

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Sorry I didn't post this sooner! It would have been great to meet you in person :)
Reason:

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:03 am

In a little while I will be taking Steve to the airport so he can head back to California, but I just wanted to share about Steve's trip to my church in WNY before I go.

Steve has been very influential in my life and mindsets over the past 4 years since I first heard of him from Hank's program. I was definitely pleased when he agreed to come to our church and very much looked forward to meeting him in person. Some of you have already met Steve, so you know I was [edit...NOT!] disappointed in meeting him. He's a very genuine, selfless, thoughtful and down to earth guy.

We had Steve share a number of times over the weekend. First, he shared his testimony. It lasted over an hour (one thing I learned this week is that Steve is actually BRIEF with his radio show answers, haha). That morning Steve also had opportunity to share about fatherhood (I think he only got through 2 of his 7 points, but it was very good!). Steve was able to spend a lot of time on Saturday with our friendly calvinist caller 'Jim' from Connecticut who traveled over 7 hours to join us. I couldn't convince Steve, though, to try his hand at a Nintendo Wii that we had set up Saturday evening, lol

On Sunday I was preaching at a different church, so I missed Steve's first sermon on suffering (I hope to listen to the tape this week). During Sunday School he shared with our men's class, but I didn't get to hear this either since I have my own class (I heard great reports though). In our second worship service he preached a great message on the sin of worry. Sunday afternoon we were able to visit Niagara Falls, which Steve had never seen. And, finally, this evening, we had a Question/Answer time. I believe the following questions were asked/answered...

1. How could Jesus not know the time of His return?
2. What is the meaning of James 1:10?
3. What is our relationship to modern day Israel?
4. Is tithing for Christians today?
5. What translation do you prefer?
6. Explain the heavenly meeting in Job 1:6
7. How important is nutrition/eating-well?
8. What do you think of the subject of euthanasia?
9. Is cremation acceptable for Christians?
10. What letter would Jesus write to the church in America?

Steve's answers to these questions were very thoughtful and thorough. I am so glad Steve was able to minister to our church family this weekend.
Last edited by TK on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:35 am

Sounds like an awesome time :!:
Too bad you couldn't convince him to play the Wii :lol:
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:13 am

Some of you have already met Steve, so you know I was disappointed in meeting him.
I'm guessing you meant that you were NOT disappointed. :)
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:10 am

haha, yeah. That's funny.

Unfortunately, I was writing that at 1 O'clock after a whole weekend of very little sleep and knowing that I was only about to get 2.5 hours before getting up to take Steve to Buffalo!
Reason:

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:08 pm

7. How important is nutrition/eating-well?
What prompted that question and how did Steve answer it?
Reason:

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:51 pm

There is a woman in our congregation who is very passionate about nutrition. She feels strongly that Christians are eating a lot of things they shouldn't be eating. She even invited the ladies of the church to attend a nutrition seminar where she shared with them about the dangers of a lot of today's popular foods.

It was a fairly long conversation. To summarize Steve's response, he shared about how the issue is a craze in Santa Cruz. He gently answered that there are 2 errors we can make.

1. We can be poor stewards of our bodies by eating in unhealthy ways
2. We can make an idol out of 'health food' by prioritizing it over spirituality

Since the question was asked passionately by someone, perhaps, in danger of error #2, Steve deflated, a bit, the concerns over #1 and emphasized the concerns regarding #2. He reminded us that each person stands before the Lord, their master, in this area. We shouldn't judge one another over matters of food. We should strive to use common sense and have a reasonable diet. We should never make our physical conditions the focus over our spiritual conditions.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:51 pm

I had a wonderful time with Matt and his church. I really liked his pastor and his family, in whose home I stayed. There were very many very fine saints with whom I had opportunity to become acquainted, and especially appreciated the long-desired chance to visit with Jim, from Torrington, CT.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

Return to “Announcements”