The Debates With Tommy Bertoli

Information regarding The Narrow Path Ministries.
Sean

Re: The Israel Debate With Tommy Bertolii

Post by Sean » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:40 am

postpre wrote:Sean,

Abraham lived well before Jacob (later named Israel, from whom the 12 tribes sprang). Thus, the passages that you have pointed to to support the notion that the Body of Christ is Israel is not valid. Those verses in Galatians 3 are simply highlighting one aspect of God's promises to Abraham, that all the nations of the earth would be blessed through his seed. They say nothing about the Body of Christ now being identified as Israel. You are right to conclude that all can now partake in what was promised to Abraham (Jew and Gentile alike), but it is not correct to say that the Church is Israel.
Want to get technical, I see. ;) Steve mentioned this in the post above but I'll put it this way:

Eph 2:11 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh—who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands— 12 that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.

"You Gentiles" were once aliens from the commonwealth of Israel.

14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation,

He made both one. All you need to do is ask, both who?

19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God

I'm no longer a stranger or a foreigner of what? I'm now a fellow citizen of what? It's stated in verse 12. Are you denying this?

And just so we are clear, since being technical matters. That "one body" is the church:

Eph 2:16 that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross

Eph 1:22 And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church, 23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

Col 1:18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.

The church is the body. The one new man, the one body is the combination of believing Israel and Gentiles.
postpre wrote: I'm not sure why the Amills keep getting this wrong. In the debate, Steve read Scripture that indicated that Isreal did not have rights to the land (under the law). But, this is exacty what Galatians 3 addresses. Contrary to popular opionion, the Law was not eternal. The Law couldn't give Israel the eternal rest that she sought. The permanent possession of the land could not be gained through adherence to the Law!

17 And this I say, that the law, which was four hundred and thirty years later, ,cannot annul the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ that it should make the promise of no effect. 18 For if [b]the inheritance [/b]is of the law, it is no longer of promise; but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Notice, that the inheritiance is not of the law, it could not be fulfilled by the law. But, it was given to Abraham by promise. I take this that Abraham will be resurrected to receive this promised land in the Kingdom. How else could we interpret it?

Brian
I still don't understand. If unfaithfulness to God during the time of the law of Moses was grounds for God to cast them out then how in the world can you claim its unconditional? Is your understanding of the word unconditional literal? If your view is correct then the law did annul the covenant with Abraham during that era. You seem to be putting conditions on something you call unconditional.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

steve

Re: The Debates With Tommy Bertoli

Post by steve » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:31 pm

Since this thread began by discussing the eternal security debate, and has now morphed into a discussion of the Israel debate, it has been continued at this link: http://www.theos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2851

CThomas

Post by CThomas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Since this is just about the debate, I'll post it here rather than on the other forum. I thought Steve did an amazing job in the debate. I was really puzzled, though, why so many questioners (and, presumably, others in the audience) seemed to believe that Steve was advocating a works-based justification, given Steve's repeated and, to my mind, very clear statements to the contrary. I was surprised when the first questioner made this mistake, but after Steve corrected it so forcefully I was stunned when another questioner repeated it, and then another! I guess people have been so primed to think that the only alternative to eternal security as commonly understood is salvation by works that some have a hard time hearing a third possibility. Very strange.

CThomas

Sean

Post by Sean » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:00 am

CThomas wrote:Since this is just about the debate, I'll post it here rather than on the other forum. I thought Steve did an amazing job in the debate. I was really puzzled, though, why so many questioners (and, presumably, others in the audience) seemed to believe that Steve was advocating a works-based justification, given Steve's repeated and, to my mind, very clear statements to the contrary. I was surprised when the first questioner made this mistake, but after Steve corrected it so forcefully I was stunned when another questioner repeated it, and then another! I guess people have been so primed to think that the only alternative to eternal security as commonly understood is salvation by works that some have a hard time hearing a third possibility. Very strange.

CThomas
I was also surprised at this. It seems that people have been trained to think that anything, including faith, is works. I was also surprised that there were several questions asking how many bad works you had to do before you lost your salvation. One could reply this way: "How many sins do you have to commit before it is evident that you are not saved at all?"

Even R.C. Sproul admits that we are the ones who believe and that God doesn't believe for us in this article:
http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/a ... oul01.html

I try and point this article out to people when this issue comes up to let them know that even reformers believe we are the ones exercising faith. If this were not so, then the statement "Justification by faith" would really mean "Justification by works", since our faith in Christ is what saves us. The argument then can be focused on whether faith precedes regeneration or not.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

JasonR

Post by JasonR » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:08 pm

it looks like the Olivet Discourse Debate has been posted

http://www.messiahschristianfellowship. ... age346.htm

featheredprop

Post by featheredprop » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:38 am

Thanks Jason!
"...the hope of the whole world rests on the shoulders of a homeless man" Rich Mullins

Return to “Announcements”