Clark Pinnock (1937-2010)

Information regarding The Narrow Path Ministries.
RickC

Clark Pinnock (1937-2010)

Post by RickC » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:28 pm

I just learned, and am sad to report, Clark died on Sunday August 15, 2010 of a heart attack.

CT, Clark Pinnock Dies at 73

May God be with his family and friends.
In Christ our Lord, Amen.
Last edited by RickC on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RickC

Re: Clark Pinnock (1937-2010)

Post by RickC » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:47 pm

And from friend and colleague -
Greg Boyd

steve

Post by steve » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:01 pm

How shocking! It is a great loss for the body of Christ. On the other hand, if I were him, and especially having recently become disabled by the onset of Alheimer's, I would count it a merciful thing for God to take me suddenly and relatively painlessly, rather than to linger for years with dementia, being unproductive and a burden on my loved ones.

"The righteous perishes, And no man takes it to heart; Merciful men are taken away, While no one considers That the righteous is taken away from evil." (Isaiah 57:1)

It seems so appropriate for God, having brought His servant to the end of his pilgrimage and warfare for the kingdom, to take him home in an instant like this. It is fairly amazing, but it seems very providential. "Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my end be like his!" (Num.23:10).

selah

Post by selah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:35 pm

steve wrote:How shocking! It is a great loss for the body of Christ. On the other hand, if I were him, and especially having recently become disabled by the onset of Alheimer's, I would count it a merciful thing for God to take me suddenly and relatively painlessly, rather than to linger for years with dementia, being unproductive and a burden on my loved ones.
I agree, but am deeply sad at his family's loss because I believe that in most cases, Alzheimer's is a disease that can be prevented and/or reversed.
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

RickC

Post by RickC » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Yes, this news was shocking. I had to do some research to find the cause of death was a heart attack, and didn't think Alzheimer's would be stated as the cause.

As to the great loss -
Yes, it is, even though Clark had said he would no longer be writing anything back in March. He was effectively retired.

On God taking Clark home -
I posted a video by Greg Boyd on Openness Theology dated from April 2008. Clark introduced Greg and didn't appear to be "abnormal" in any way then. So it appears Clark didn't suffer greatly of memory loss from then till this past Sunday. Of course, none of us know when or how we will die. But I can see and empathize with Steve that, in the case of Clark Pinnock, God's taking him this soon can be viewed as a form of mercy.

Prayers for Clark's family and friends.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:18 pm

In a naked attempt to grab your attention (since I know how few would naturally read a book review), I will say that this book is the best book I've read in the past couple of years. To intrigue you even further, I actually mean that! "Best" is a relative term I suppose, but what I mean by it is that I found myself in strong agreement AND my mind thoroughly provoked through the course of reading. To add to the matter, Pinnock passed on to be with the Lord mid-reading and that, perhaps, made it seem even more inspiring.

In The Wideness of God's Mercy, Pinnock is basically asking the question of what God will do (in terms of salvation) with those people who are from non-Christian religions (the majority of the world) and those who have never even heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ. His attempted answer hopes to avoid 2 extremes. The LEFT extreme answers the question by insisting that God will save many (or all) people with or without Jesus. The RIGHT extreme answers the question by insisting that only those who have come to acknowledge Jesus as Savior and Lord can be saved by Jesus. Pinnock's answer, to put it most briefly, is that some people may (and will) be saved by Jesus even though they have misinformation (or no information) about Him. In light of this, Pinnock thinks many (but not all) will be saved instead of a few.

The book is made up of 5 chapters. I will attempt (below) to give a very concise summary.

Chapter 1 argues that Christians should be more optimistic about how many people will be saved based on the theological truth that God is generous. We have plenty of biblical evidence that people outside of God's election (Israel) were truly followers of God. Election, for Pinnock, is not about individual salvation but group vocation.

In chapter 2, in case the previous chapter made conservatives anxious, he assures them that he's still talking about salvation through Jesus Christ alone. He states, "there is no salvation except through Christ but it is not necessary for everybody to possess a conscious knowledge of Christ in order to benefit from redemption through Him" (75). Pinnock truly believes that prevenient grace has gone out to all the world and has been responded to in one way or another.

Chapter 3 discusses how we should think of modern day religions. Are all religions false? Are all true? Is 1 true? Pinnock denies all three of these positions and, instead, argues (basically) that Jesus is true and religions are either near or far from Him. In general, all religions have good and bad attributes, just in differing degrees. "There is enough truth in most religions for people to take hold of and put their trust in God's mercy. The religion may help or hinder-- but ultimately it is what the person decides that counts" (111). God is more interested in faith that doctrinal content (this sounds more universalistic than Pinnock actually is when you read the whole book).

Chapter 4 argues that Christ can transform religions just like He can transform any other area of culture. Religions are always undergoing transformation and Pinnock suggests that some of this transformation is the result of God's work. We should be involved in truth seeking dialogue with non-Christians b/c all truth is God's truth. Jews need to re-evaluate Jesus. Muslims need to re-think God's generosity and be honest about the Koran and its origins. Hindus must re-discover meaning and contemplate how their doctrines affect the poor. Buddhists must take seriously the religious instincts of humanity. Finally, Christians must become more humble, recognizing that we know only in part and are still growing in Christ (and therefore in truth).

Chapter 5 deals specifically with those who have never even heard of Jesus Christ. Can they be saved? And if so, how? Pinnock bluntly states, "It is not so much a question whether the unevangelized know Jesus as whether Jesus knows them... the issue God cares about is the direction of the heart, not the content of theology" (158). Those who respond to the light they've been given may be given more light, but if they die prior to that, they will be judged accordingly. This reality does not leave us without motivation for missions since our mission was never to declare bad news (hell), but to declare good news (The Kingdom of God and eternal life).

If anyone is still reading this review, you might be thinking: "Matthew has done such a wonderful job of summarizing this book, so I probably don't even need to read it now!" Indeed, I have done a wonderful job :) But there is plenty more worth chewing on in Pinnock's book. It's a quick read b/c he has such a good writing style. If nothing else, read it as a tribute to the late Clark Pinnock, an open-minded and open-hearted Christian.

Return to “Announcements”