N.T. Wright . . . "So What?"

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:19 pm

Hello Paul,
You wrote:Wow what a major contradiction. I just found out that NT Wright is a Calvinist.

(NT Wright wrote):
"Let me, as a good Calvinist, offer you five points about Paul."

Yes, NTW said this at his 2003 lecture on "New Perspectives on Paul."
But did he mean he was a "5-Point Calvinist?"

Here are the 5 points Wright made in that lecture.
"Let me, as a good Calvinist, offer you five points about Paul which I regard as crucial in the present debates, justification itself being the fifth." (with his 5 points being):
1. The Gospel
2. The Righteousness of God
3. Final Judgment According to Works
4. Ordo Salutis
5. Justification"

Obviously, these aren't the 5 points of TULIP (NTW wasn't making a case for them but had his other 5 points in mind).

On another forum I started a thread asking in what sense is NTW a Calvinist. The consensus was that he is not a standard (regular) 5-Point Calvinist. While I agree with this, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what NTW meant.

From the Sydney Anglicans Forum based in Australia, I found a poster named Alan Dungey wrote this:
Anglican representatives, including a Welsh Bishop, took part in the Synod of Dort and endorsed its resolutions, under King James I. The Church of England was certainly regarded as part of the Reformed family of churches in those days, and hence Calvinist.
Perhaps NTW was using "Calvinist" as a kind of synonym to say he was "Reformed"? Or it could be that he was acknowledging that his church, The Church of England, was historically Calvinist, at least at the times of the Synod of Dort?

Btw, Paul, Darin and I have discussed this here.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_PAULESPINO

Post by _PAULESPINO » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:42 pm

Thanks Rick that was very helpful.
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:33 pm

Paul,

I think I might have something like "the right idea" on what NTW meant....

In the meantime, I've gone Beliefnet's "Conservative Anglicans" board and asked them what they think.

If I get any replies, I'll post or link to them on the "N.T. Wright: What Did Paul Really Say?" thread.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_PAULESPINO

Post by _PAULESPINO » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Hey Rick,

I actually bought the commentary Of Wright in the book of Romans unfortunately I forgot it in our cafeteria. The following Tuesday it was gone.
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:04 pm

Paul, don't feel too bad. It's not only you.

I got Wright's book "The Last Word" from my library and accidentally left it at a V.A. Hospital.

It disappeared within about 30 minutes and wasn't in the lost & found, so I had to buy another copy for my library to keep my card ($19.95).

Sorry to hear this though, Paul. Maybe a non-Christian stole it? was what I hoping...they'd need a good Christian book! Take care...(I wish I could afford all of NTW's books).....
Reason:

RickC

Re: N.T. Wright . . . "So What?"

Post by RickC » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:42 am

*New Forum Bump*

See the excellent quotes from NTW on page one!

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:52 am

I have read several books by NT Wright and I also read his writings and listened to some of his sermons on line. He really brings the story to life imo. Since reading his works the Lord Jesus and the apostles seem very real, alive and colorful. It also helped that in many ways, though I was a long ways from connecting so many dots, I was on a similiar path as he.

It is because of NT Wright I like to ask people, What was it about Jesus and the ressurection that set the apostles and first christians heart on fire?
The usual reply is salvation, but it gives me an opportunity to speak of the hope of israel and that hope realized in Christ.
Remembering our most holy, pure, blessed, and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and ever virgin Mary, with all the saints, let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:10 am

I've been trying to figure out in what sense he's a Calvinist, also. I don't know for sure, but considering his sense of humor I think the question about his "five" points above was only a joke -- he wasn't implying (I don't think) that they related to Calvinist distinctives, but just that "as any good calvinist would do" he would use five points to make a point (unrelated to Calvinism).

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”