EO Lectures on Augustine, Calvin(ism), other

_Rick_C

EO Lectures on Augustine, Calvin(ism), other

Post by _Rick_C » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:59 pm

Orthodox Church History by an EO guy, and former Baptist, named Jeff McDonald. An excellent source on things about Early Fathers, Councils, Gnosticism, Augustine and Calvinism.

"Augustine of Hippo" and "The Protestant Reformation" are especially relevant for this particular FBFF forum. Highly recommended to augment Steve's lectures on Church History.

McDonald does a general "bio" of Augustine as well as demonstrating how Augustine introduced a new way of "doing theology" in the Church: namely, that of importing Greek philosophy and (deterministic) philosophical categories. McDonald also shows how the Orthodox Church has similarities in approach with some "non-Calvinist Protestants" in that they do not import philosophy "over and into" theology. (Btw, it should be noted that EO and Protestant differences remain).

On several layers of thought, McDonald's EO perspectives are deeply insightful and "a different perspective than we usually hear" (in Protestant discussions).

Very highly recommended for "Calvinist/Non-Calvinist studies."

'Hope you find these lectures interesting & informative. Thanks, :)
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

RickC

Re: EO Lectures on Augustine, Calvin(ism), other

Post by RickC » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:48 pm

'Found more talks on the topic: Eastern Orthodox view of predestination, etc.

Ancient Faith Radio -Pilgrims from Paradise program --
with Matthew Gallatin.

See page 1, The Bible and Predestination and page 4, Romans Nine.

Matthew Gallatin says essentially the same type things as McDonald (above) but adds important insights; what with his being a former professor of philosophy, etc., etc. I'm thinking, again, how Arminius and Wesley were influenced by the Early Greek (Orthodox) Fathers . . . who's thought was 'the consensus' -- and before Augustine.

Thanks! :)
Last edited by RickC on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RickC

Re: EO Lectures on Augustine, Calvin(ism), other

Post by RickC » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:10 pm

AND! -- I just relocated: Converse with Scholars -- with Bradley Nassif
CWS wrote:Join us as we the discuss the relationship between Evangelicalism and Eastern Orthodoxy with Eastern Orthodox theologian Bradley Nassif.

*Click 3. (2/25/08)
*May require QuickTime Player
(and you don't have to download the full iTunes).
I heard this broadcasted live in Paltalk.
As I recall, Brad Nassif comments on how Arminians and Eastern Orthodox have essentially the same beliefs w/r/t predestination and election, etc., and as contrasted with Calvinists.

Thanks! :)

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”