4 questions concerning Calvinism...please help

lee

Re: 4 questions concerning Calvinism...please help

Post by lee » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:25 pm

:-) I mentioned the xcalvinist link here. The portion for Genesis 50:20 is here: http://www.xcalvinist.com/44/chapter-5/
The issue that I have is that the "it" that God "meant" (whether proximally related from eternity past or not and either the kidnapping or the hatred in Joseph's brothers) was either way something evil. The purpose was good, to save a nation. But that is only pragmatics. The morality of a kidnapping is still evil in nature. God "chashab"ed it, just as Joseph's brothers "chashab"ed it.

In regards to Isaiah 45:7, I looked at the local context and the translation possibilities and it does seem that "calamity" could be an alternative. I suppose that I was listening to James White too much and accepted him on authority when he stated that the word "ra" could be translated no other way than by the word "evil".

Genesis 50:20 remains a difficult passage for me because the word used is exactly the same. God caused the same thing that Joseph's brothers caused, but for different purposes. Does this invert the moral essence of the action? In addition, how could God "cause" Joseph brothers to do something, while at the same time Joseph's brothers are viewed as also "causing" that action? Doesn't this provide incontrovertible evidence for compatibilism?

Sean

Post by Sean » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:19 pm

lee wrote::-) I mentioned the xcalvinist link here. The portion for Genesis 50:20 is here: http://www.xcalvinist.com/44/chapter-5/
The issue that I have is that the "it" that God "meant" (whether proximally related from eternity past or not and either the kidnapping or the hatred in Joseph's brothers) was either way something evil. The purpose was good, to save a nation. But that is only pragmatics. The morality of a kidnapping is still evil in nature. God "chashab"ed it, just as Joseph's brothers "chashab"ed it.

In regards to Isaiah 45:7, I looked at the local context and the translation possibilities and it does seem that "calamity" could be an alternative. I suppose that I was listening to James White too much and accepted him on authority when he stated that the word "ra" could be translated no other way than by the word "evil".

Genesis 50:20 remains a difficult passage for me because the word used is exactly the same. God caused the same thing that Joseph's brothers caused, but for different purposes. Does this invert the moral essence of the action? In addition, how could God "cause" Joseph brothers to do something, while at the same time Joseph's brothers are viewed as also "causing" that action? Doesn't this provide incontrovertible evidence for compatibilism?
First I would like you to consider this passage:

1 Cor 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

I'm interested in the comment: "God is faithful".
What does that mean? If you were say, tempted to kill your younger brother (as in the case of Joseph and his brothers) and end up selling him into slavery instead and then go back and give your father the false impression that he's dead. And it also be true that in this temptation God gave no way of escape (because He actually ordained it), then how can it be said "God is faithful"?

But then again, maybe I answered the question already. The brothers wanted to kill Joseph (Gen 37:20). But Reuben rescued him (Gen 37:21-22) from death and planned on restoring him. (So did Reuben mean it for evil?)

Then, a caravan of Ishmaelites came and they reasoned it better to sell their brother instead of killing him. And Reuben was not there when this happened, so he would seem to be an exception to the phrase "you meant it for evil".

It seems that God in fact did provide a way of escape. First, through Reuben preventing Josephs death. Second, through the appearing of the Midianite traders at just the right moment. Third, Reuben was not present to prevent the other brothers from selling Joseph.

Also, Joseph said:
Gen 45:4 Then he said: "I am Joseph your brother, whom you sold into Egypt.
Gen 45:5 But now, do not therefore be grieved or angry with yourselves because you sold me here; for God sent me before you to preserve life.

It seems that the statement in Genesis 50:20 is simply a brief summary statement of all that took place. It seems that it is not meant to be taken the way the Calvinist wants to press it, once the actual narrative is taken into account. They meant to kill Joseph or make him appear dead. God not only prevented his death, but provided a means to bring him to Egypt. Did God in fact "mean" for the brothers to lie about what they had done and make it appear Joseph was dead? Or Did God actually deliver Joseph from death? The brothers intention was evil, God's was good.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

Sean

Post by Sean » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:17 am

petomaryland wrote:Pastor Lee at our church said if Jesus don't know you, you can't get into heaven.
I would ask pastor Lee how to find out who Jesus knows.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

Jess

Post by Jess » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:21 am

Hi Lee,

You wrote:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's a weak attempt at humor to (hopefully) make a point. I saw a sign in a pubic out house once that read as follows: "Our aim is to keep this place clean. Your aim will help." The same word (aim) was used but with slightly different meanings. The fact that "meant" was used twice doesn't necessarily denote the exact same thing each time. First of all, Joseph's brothers "meant evil" while God "meant it". Above you say, "God "chashab"ed it, just as Joseph's brothers "chashab"ed it." which is not exactly correct. Again, the brothers "chashabed" evil but God "chachabed" it. So again I ask, "what does 'it' mean?' I agree with Sean above that God took the whole situation ( the brothers' evil intentions, their change in plans, the sale of Joseph to the Midianites, Joseph's ultimate rise to a position of influence in Egypt, etc.) and ultimately made them work out for good. We don't really start to hear of God's direct intervention into the situation until Joseph is imprisoned in Egypt, although I suspect He may have providentially arranged the caravan and the sale to Potiphar. God was with him and caused him to prosper, first under the care of the jailor and eventually in the house of Pharaoh.

I also notice that the KJV is worded slightly differently than NASB, "...ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good..." I understand that the Hebrew language contains something like 20,000 words while English has several million. Many Hebrew words therefore have more than one meaning or have shades of meanings which differ from each other depending on context etc. I think it is a stretch to say that, since the same word is used, God is as guilty of the evil which Joseph's brothers planned as they are. Even if the word is supposed to mean the same thing you have to admit it has a different direct object (evil vs. it).

It also appears to me that you may have jumped to a conclusion here. You wrote, "God caused the same thing that Joseph's brothers caused, but for different purposes." You have substituted the word "caused" for the word "meant" which brings a whole new meaning to the passage that I'm not sure was intended. I don't think God caused the kidnapping or the evil intentions of Joseph's brothers. In my opinion, what God meant to do was to take a situation He saw (or foresaw) happening and intervene in such a way as to bring about a positive result instead of a negative one.

Don't know if this helps. Hope so.

Jess

lee

Post by lee » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:59 pm

Sean and Jess, thank you very much. Your thoughts concerning these verses help tremendously. I guess this just shows that we are definitely built for community and can really help each other as believers in the church (even if it's through the internet). After thinking through your comments concerning Genesis 50:20 and Isaiah 45:7, I feel that a non-Calvinist understanding of these passages are definitely more likely.

On a different note, the idea of substitutionary atonement still bothers me. Did Jesus actually die for anyone and accomplish anything? Does He, according to Hebrews, mediate for the whole world, or only for individuals?

Steve wrote this:
One thing we can say with certainty, regardless which view is correct, a person does not benefit from the atonement without personal repentance. This means that, even though Jesus has died two-thousand years ago (for whomever He may have died), no one—not even the elect—is personally saved by that action without personal repentance and faith. This means that, even if we allow the Calvinist idea of limited atonement, and that Christ died for the elect only, it remains true that the elect man, prior to his conversion, is unsaved and has received no benefit from what Christ did for him.
This should tell us that, whatever metaphor we may choose for the atonement, we cannot accept any view that makes salvation automatic to anyone, just because Christ died for them. An elect man, may not convert until he is 90 years old, which means that an elect person can live 90 years prior to conversion, in a world where Christ might as well have never died for him, so far as his own experience of grace is concerned. How can this be, if the death of Jesus, two-thousand years ago, automatically covered his sins? If the death of Christ automatically removes the guilt and lostness of all for whom He died, would this not have occurred at the time of His crucifixion? Wouldn't this mean that the elect who are born after that event could never have been condemned, guilty sinners in God's sight—even prior to their personal conversion—since He had "atoned" for their sins long before they were born?

I agreed at first, but after further thought, it seems like it isn't a correct assessment. Please correct me if I'm wrong. In the Calvinist view, however, the price Jesus paid and His substitution was definite, even though the elect person might not experience that grace immediately, just like a person has to wait for a check to be cleared at the bank. But it still is definite. And still, the Bible states that Jesus mediates between the saint and God on the saint's behalf. But if Jesus died for the world, then He would be mediating for the entire world...

steve

Post by steve » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:16 pm

The Book of Hebrews says that Jesus is the Mediator of a New Covenant. The participants in the covenant (as in the case of the Old Covenant, at Sinai) were God, on one side, and a group of people—Israel—on the other. This group of people (Israel) is, in neither instance, a fixed and predestined number of individuals. One became a part of Israel either by birth to a covenant family, or by conversion to the covenant faith. Any Gentile was welcome to participate in this way. A natural Israelite, who was born into the covenant faith, could also defect from it and be "cut off" from Israel. Thus, any human being could potentially have become (or remain) a part of the covenant community of Israel. The covenant itself did not specify or limit itself to any number of beneficiaries.

This is also true of the New Covenant. This covenant is made in the blood of Christ shed for all people. As with the first covenant, participation is voluntary, and not compulsory. People can join, and people can defect. Jesus remains the Mediator for the sum total of those who remain in the community with whom the covenant has been established. If His blood was not shed for all humanity, only a set number of individuals could participate. There would be people who could not potentially join the community, even if they wished to embrace Christ and the covenant. No such restrictions are acknowledged in scripture. Such limitations would make the gospel more restrictive even than the Old Covenant was, in which anyone who wished was permitted to become a proselyte. Yet, it is the New that is everywhere said to be more inclusive.

You may be equating Christ's "mediation" with His "intercession." Sometimes Calvinists point out that, in John 17, Romans 8:27 and Hebrews 7:25, Jesus "makes intercession" only for the saints, and therefore He would not have died for any others besides those for whom He intercedes. That depends on what the nature of His intercession is. Perhaps Calvinists believe that Jesus is interceding for the conversion of the elect. If this is the case, then it might be reasonable to say that, if Jesus will not pray for the conversion of the non-elect, then He certainly would not die for them.

However, the intercession of Christ for the saints, in these passages, is not for their conversion (it is Christians that He is praying for), but for their sanctification, unity, maturity and glorification. We would not think it appropriate to pray such things for unsaved individuals—though their conversion might be a major concern, and a subject of our prayers. Perhaps this is the case also with Jesus' prayers.

lee

Post by lee » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:21 pm

Thank you. But if Jesus died for the whole world so as to save only a portion of it, then why would the rest (non-believers) be punished for their sins if they were nailed to the cross with Jesus?

steve

Post by steve » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:23 pm

Because they rejected the covenant stipulations. Only those in the covenant are entitled to the benefits of the atonement.

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi Lee,

Perhaps Jesus' words can answer your question. Consider:

Numbers 21:4-9 (New King James Version)

4. Then they journeyed from Mount Hor by the Way of the Red Sea, to go around the land of Edom; and the soul of the people became very discouraged on the way. 5. And the people spoke against God and against Moses: “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? For there is no food and no water, and our soul loathes this worthless bread.” 6. So the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and many of the people of Israel died.
7. Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, “We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD and against you; pray to the LORD that He take away the serpents from us.” So Moses prayed for the people.
8. Then the LORD said to Moses, “Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and it shall be that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, shall live.” 9. So Moses made a bronze serpent, and put it on a pole; and so it was, if a serpent had bitten anyone, when he looked at the bronze serpent, he lived.

And then consider:

John 3:14-15 (New King James Version)
14. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15. that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

Jesus used the story of how physical lives were saved by looking at the bronze serpent on the pole to illustrate how His death on the cross saves us from death and gives eternal life to those who look to (trust in) Him. Looking at the brass serpent on the pole saved all who looked, and those who did not look perished. And Jesus' death on the cross provides salvation to all but is efficient only for those who look to him.

Hope this helps.

God bless, Homer

lee

Post by lee » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:15 am

Steve and Homer, thanks for those thoughts. But, if God is omniscient, which I think we all agree on, then He chose to die needlessly for people He knew would reject Him. I think what is bothering me is the Calvinist idea of a 1 for 1 exchange between Jesus and the believer seemingly being the most "efficient" way of understanding the purpose of the death of Jesus. In other words, why would Jesus die for people He knew would reject Him anyway? His life is much more than a bronze serpent, although that parallel is enlightening.

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”