Open Theism, aka, Openness Theology/ Flexible Sovereignty

darinhouston

Re: Open Theism, aka, Openness Theology/ Flexible Sovereignty

Post by darinhouston » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:32 pm

To inject some humor, this just in from a Facebook friend... EVENTS: God looking forward to seeing what he will do at the OPEN THEISM 2010 conference.

George

Post by George » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:57 pm

Darin,
I appreciate your insights and I understand now why you posts as you do. I can’t help but wonder if the Open Theist believes like they do because of the problem of evil. I have come to the point where I think God made Satan evil (John 8:44, 1 John 3:8,etc) and evil was created as a tool (Isaiah 45:7,Isaiah 54:16).Evil is also a backdrop and contrast to enable us to appreciate goodness and to mature as we are refined by God’s fire. Thus verses like Romans 8:20-21 and Romans 11:32 receive their understanding.
Grace, George

George

Post by George » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:05 pm

George, I understand you addressed it but you are making an assumption that may or may not be true. The references you gave Darin were good but again they could refer to all the knowledge that is knowable which may not include future events.
BTW i'm not an Open Theist, just playing devil's advocate.
Freewill and Open Theism do not answer the final outcome of mankind in respect to salvation and Hell. Nor do these two positions give solace to those difficult verses that seem to represent God as capricious and unloving. Only a view of His complete sovereignty and ultimate reconciliation of the whole of the human race, brings clarity of His Divine will at the end of the ages for me.
Grace, george

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:10 am

A better understanding of the OT position? No particular point -- just if you haven't read much of their own writings, here's a sampling of some of the more scholarly philosophical writings (and one specifically pertaining to the question of evil). Boyd has also written more "popular" stuff without the aid of professional philosophers.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:43 am

Freewill and Open Theism do not answer the final outcome of mankind in respect to salvation and Hell. Nor do these two positions give solace to those difficult verses that seem to represent God as capricious and unloving. Only a view of His complete sovereignty and ultimate reconciliation of the whole of the human race, brings clarity of His Divine will at the end of the ages for me.
Grace, george

Why do you think it is impossible for reconciliation for mankind to occur under freewill or open theism? Do you think it is necessary for God to make people love him, that it is not just a matter of more revelation or more understanding?

George

Post by George » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:51 am

steve7150 wrote:Freewill and Open Theism do not answer the final outcome of mankind in respect to salvation and Hell. Nor do these two positions give solace to those difficult verses that seem to represent God as capricious and unloving. Only a view of His complete sovereignty and ultimate reconciliation of the whole of the human race, brings clarity of His Divine will at the end of the ages for me.
Grace, george

Why do you think it is impossible for reconciliation for mankind to occur under freewill or open theism? Do you think it is necessary for God to make people love him, that it is not just a matter of more revelation or more understanding?
Because I believe that no one has freewill, we are influence by something, be it where we are born, genetics, what our parents, teachers, friends taught us and etc. If you do not think this is a true statement, imagine yourself born female in a Muslim country where most are illiterate, and males dominate. What chance does this person have to go to college, learn about Jesus and etc.
Peace, George
Last edited by George on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

George

Post by George » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:52 am

darinhouston wrote:A better understanding of the OT position? No particular point -- just if you haven't read much of their own writings, here's a sampling of some of the more scholarly philosophical writings (and one specifically pertaining to the question of evil). Boyd has also written more "popular" stuff without the aid of professional philosophers.
I started reading the last article you posted

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Just wondering how many other forums would have a good discussion about open theism with no OTs involved? This is good!

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”