Really Good Video Compilation

Joan

Re: Really Good Video Compilation

Post by Joan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:51 pm

For me it suggested images of being on a mountaintop, surrounded by thunderings and lightnings.
But I see what you mean, Suzanna; it's not something to share with the neighbors.
: )
Joan

PS: Marionettes, huh? That's amazing. If we really were puppets, there wouldn't be any point in admonitions or criticism of any kind, because none of us would have any choice about our thoughts or behavior. We'd be just like animals, doing whatever it is that we do, just because it's what we've been programmed to do.

Joan

Post by Joan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:28 am

I had to go back and have another look. On second viewing, I'm not comfortable with the the parts in the video that seem like railing, especially in the opening segments (I chose to overlook them in my previous viewing). I think the message would be more effective if it was limited to the Word of God, with the opinions and judgements of men kept to a minimum, or altogether left out of it. I agree with what I perceive is the overall message of the video, though, that much of what passes for Christianity today is sloppy, careless, and shallow, unacceptable to God, and that we are called to be holy, even as God is holy.

I don't know who the video is directed to, but it seems to me that (after aformentioned editing), it would be well-directed to pastors and parents - those in positions of influence - as a strong reminder to preach the whole gospel and not "Gospel Lite," the marshmallow-y, feel-good version that doesn't cost anything and isn't lived out or even taken seriously. I've lost track of the number of times I've heard a parent say something like: 'My son is taking drugs, stealing cars and beating his girlfriend, but I know he's saved because I remember the day he asked Jesus into his heart.' What if the parent then turns around and reassures his son that he needn't worry, that he is guaranteed safety from the wrath of God? How will the son realize his need to repent if his true condition is lovingly glossed-over by Mom & Dad? I've seen and heard such sons being reassured of their eternal security by people very close to me, with what I know are the best of intentions. A word of caution or concern from me is brushed away with, "Oh, but I know he's saved."

We Christians in America have been a-slumber. In our dreamlike stupor, we tend to take sentimentality for true religion, and we need an alarm sounded, to wake us up. I think the video is an attempt to do that.

TK

Post by TK » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:27 am

excellent, Joan. I agree with what you say wholeheartedly.

TK

TK

Post by TK » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:34 am

Jepne wrote:
“The preaching of the Gospel can actually be voided of its power if it is expressed in the eloquent wisdom of men.” Art Katz, Apostolic Foundations, “The Word of the Cross”.
Very true-- but from what I have read and heard by Art Katz (which is a whole lot) i think he would have pretty much agreed dwith almost everything said in this video. I could easildy find many Art Katz sound bites that could be grafted into this video quite nicely.

For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XK1xpKRWyQ

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v8hZZL9OGs

TK

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:27 pm

Hah, TK! You are probably right! Yes, he probably would agree with many of the words, but think of Katz, the way he speaks. Listening to the videos side-by-side, there is a definite contrast.
(Katz) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XK1xpKRWyQ
(illbehonest) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkLLOH7q ... re=related

You could graft a bunch of Katz bites together with the same fast cutting graphics, the music rising and falling, and ruin what he has to convey from the heart of God.

The somewhat sad music behind his speaking in this youtube distracted me into emotions, which almost drowned out his message, although I am glad someone is putting his messages on youtube.

I did watch the illbehonest video again and found my main objection is the presentation, in that I have listened to Ravenhill many times and not been put off - but this bite, out of context and with the musical effects just did not ‘set right’ – maybe it was like overkill.

One could say all this is subjective, but I think we all want to be discerning of the spirit behind so many things that look good, and possibly are good – but are they born of the Spirit? Do they change one’s life on the deeper levels? Or do they stir up one’s flesh to do right, to be right, but do not do a lasting work of the spirit of God that will really make us holy.
That is the thing.

Bless you!
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

TK

Post by TK » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:29 am

Hi Jepne--

I am not necessarily disagreeing with what you are saying. I do agree that the presentation can ruin the message.

But I think it is important that the message be delivered. Many people today, particularly youth, have very short attention spans. That's just the way it is. I think it is a crying shame, but we are used to getting our info in soundbites. I think very few people set in for a long read (especially for a long read that requires some thought and focus) or even a long listen, with similar parameters. I would have much more success getting my 17 year son to listen to the original clip i posted than having him listen to an hour long sermon by any one of those guys. I think the clip would have more impact on him. Again, I am not saying that I am proud of this-- I wish he would want to listen to hour long sermons (he has to sometimes when he is in the car with me!) but realistically I know he probably wouldn't do it voluntarily (at least not yet).

A while back there was an audio compilation called "The Revival Hymn" that was circulating around-- it is also available on youtube. There was music behind the words, presented obviously for dramatic effect. Some people have complained that some of the music is too loud or distracting, and this may be true. But what that compilation did was expose many people to old ministers they otherwise never would have heard, and perhaps (like in my case) peaked an interest to go find and listen to some of their sermons (like on sermonindex.net). Many people testify that this clip changed their lives.

My first exposure to Art Katz came from the clip I posted below-- "One Thing You Lack." When I first heard that, I knew I had to hear more, and since have listened to many, many of his teachings. I think my very favorite is "To God Be the Glory in the Church." I have read Apostolic Foundations a couple of times. That book is not an easy read. It takes concentrated focus but it is well worth the effort.

Some of my other favorite speakers of the Word came to my attention through other complilation audio clips, like Mike Brown and Bob Gladstone in this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BcfXWqk ... re=related

So I guess what I am saying is that it would be great if people would take the time to listen someone like AW Tozer or Ravenhill preach a full sermon. But the second best option is that they would hear portions of their sermons in some sort of an edited audio clip. A couple of good soundbites from Tozer are worth hours of sermons from many many other preachers.

I can tell you from personal experience that my wife and I went through a major spiritual revival about 7 years ago and a huge part of it was due to a website we were introduced to called http://www.fireonthealtar.com that is full of sermon audio compilations with many that really hit us hard, in various ways.

TK

Joan

Post by Joan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:33 am

TK, I am on my way out the door but couldn't wait to tell you how glad I am to have access to these sites. I'll check them out with an eye toward finding things that I can post on my FB page. I joined FB for the purpose of connecting with extended family, and as the Lord provides opportunity, point to Him. I don't want to push the gospel in ways that are unpalatable to today's generation, but for sure, I want to share it. Faithfully, sensitively, and winsomely. For example, the "Psalm 24 time lapse" (posted here on the forum by Ian) will appeal to many and went straight to my FB page as soon as I found it. Lord, thank You for providing tools for the day at hand. And thank you, TK, Ian and others, for helping me find them. Much appreciated! Joan

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:28 pm

I will check out those links – thanks so much. I have CD’s of Gladstone at Ben Israel, interspersed with Art – very rich. I have liked Mike Brown too. So maybe we have much in common! Glad to meet you dear brother!

Interesting that Art at times sounds very Calvinistic, as well as trinitarian and 'oneness' but he delivered a very precious word - his theology never got in my way. Not many can 'get away with' that. Bless you!
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”