Question for Calvinists

CThomas

Question for Calvinists

Post by CThomas » Wed May 09, 2012 4:55 pm

I realize that this is sort of like stepping into the middle of a very long conversation, but I was wondering if Calvinists could point me toward any helpful resources explaining in a fairly detailed way how Calvinists deal with the "falling away" passages, particularly in Hebrews?

Any references would be appreciated.

Regards,

CThomas

jeremiah

Re: Question for Calvinists

Post by jeremiah » Wed May 16, 2012 10:27 am

good morning cthomas,

are you acquainted with the common explanations given by calvinists, but are looking for a more thorough treatment? or, are you for the most part unaware of what they believe regarding a saint's perseverance?

grace and peace...
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

CThomas

Post by CThomas » Fri May 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Jeremiah, I'm looking for a more thorough treatment. I understand Calvinism in broad strokes (although I don't claim to be an expert) and I even have a general sense of the sorts of things they say about the falling away warnings of Hebrews. But I'm interested in the best detailed exegesis of these passages from a Reformed perspective that I can find. To answer my own question, over the last few days I've found that John Owen's books on Hebrews look like a pretty good and thorough take on this.

Thanks,

CThomas

steve

Post by steve » Fri May 18, 2012 8:47 pm

I have not read it, but many people find Arthur Pink's commentary on Hebrews to be impressive. He was a strong Calvinist, so he might be a good resource on this.

CThomas

Post by CThomas » Sat May 19, 2012 10:08 am

Thank you!

rcbloomberg

Post by rcbloomberg » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:43 pm

I would suggest the reading of John Owens book “Apostasy from the Gospel” where he deals with Hebrews 6:4-12 in the first chapter of the book (I prefer the easy read version by Puritan Paperbacks).
In it Owens presents his argument for the passage referring to those mentioned as never having been regenerate but being in the church and part of its fellowship.
R.C. Sproul has also addressed this passage suggesting it being one of Paul’s Ad Hominem arguments but I prefer Owens treatment of the passage and consider it a more likely interpretation.
I think in addressing Reformed Theology here are some key points that have to be remembered.
People are driven by their strongest inclenations as outlined by Johnathan Edwards in his book Freedom of the Will and fallen man will never choose God unless he becomes regenerate.
In Reformed Theology we believe that Faith comes after (or if you want to split hairs at the same time as) Regeneration and not before as our Arminian brothers would have us beileve.
Also we would all agree that whatever God does he does it is in relation to His Nature so His will for us is completely perfect.

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”