Is Alice Cooper an argument for sovereign election?

psimmond

Re: Is Alice Cooper an argument for sovereign election?

Post by psimmond » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:27 am

Perry,
Thanks for the book recommendation. Some of Koukl's stuff is really good; I'll have to find this book.

Speaking of Alice, I remember getting one of his cassettes when I was a young teenager because I wanted the song Eighteen, and discoving when I got home that I liked Billion Dollar Babies even more. :lol: I wonder what kind of impact his conversion has had on the hard rock/metal crowd. Dylan's 3 years of ministry had a huge impact on many in the 70's.
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

Singalphile

Re: Is Alice Cooper an argument for sovereign election?

Post by Singalphile » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:40 pm

psimmond wrote:
Regarding Alice Cooper, I'm not sure I agree with the statement made a few times in this thread that "God does all he can to save each person." Where does the Bible say this? Don't you think more people would be saved if every human had a Saul experience: Seeing Jesus, hearing his voice from heaven, being blinded and then having a vision that a certain man would lay hands on you and your sight would be restored? I think it's more accurate to say God does enough; his grace is sufficient so that all men are without excuse.

God could have angels write the gospel in the sky for all to see, but it seems he wants people to exercise faith--kind of like when he hid truth in parables so those who were really interested would have to seek him out later to say, "Explain this to us."
I have thought the same, but I'm not sure. Faith (as defined in Hebrews 11:1+) is obviously important. God seems to want a holy people for Himself who accept Jesus' Lordship by faith. This would seem to help explain why God doesn't just schedule an appointment to talk face to face with every person and why this life is the time when a person can choose to be part of God's people (Heb 9:27).
On the other hand, Jesus' parable in Luke 16:31 talks about people who won't believe even if someone rises from the dead to talk to them.
And I have heard people explain away certain miracles as mass hallucination. So perhaps those people would explain away their own miraculous experience in the same way. I also think of Romans 1:20.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”