A Proper Understanding pt.2 Eternal Security (PotS)

Othniel

A Proper Understanding pt.2 Eternal Security (PotS)

Post by Othniel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:54 pm

I want to once again thank Steve for his hasty reply on part 1 of this posting. I also wanted to affirm again that though I love quick replies, if you (Steve) are unable to reply to this or any following parts of this post in a timely manner I totally understand. That being said, I would love to further understand your opinion on the verses commonly used by those who oppose your view.

Part 2 - Eternal Security (Perseverance of the Saints)

As I listen to your thoughts on the subject and continue to think and pray through the scriptures, I can't help but lean towards your view of salvation. Salvation and grace are found In Christ, and we enter into Him through faith. And though God loves us, pursues us, and holds us, we can choose to stop abiding and stop having faith, thus turning us into withered branches useful only for the fire. If we are in Him, His work and life is attributed to us. If we are not in Him, we no longer have access to the life.

This makes sense to me, however I am trying to wrap my mind around some of the verses that I have always been taught affirm the eternal security doctrine.

If you find the time, I would love to hear your explanation and understanding of the verses you referenced in your "Calvinism" pdf (these are the ones I have the hardest time understanding from a Conditional Security perspective):

John 5:24 - Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him
that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation;
but is passed from death unto life.

John 10:27-30 - My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give
unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man
pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than
all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Philippians 1:6 - Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in
you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.

I Corinthians 1:7-9 - So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus
Christ: who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in
the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful...

Ephesians 4:30 - And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day
of redemption.

Of all the Calvinistic Doctrines, this one seems the most controversial for me. Few people these days teach you can lose (or walk away from) your salvation. Many even make this a distinctive of their statement of faith. However, after examining the verses that seem to clearly reference our ability to lose our salvation (not mentioned here in this post), I feel I must have mis-understood the above verses. Thanks again for all you do Steve. I also would love to hear other non-calvinist ways of approaching the above text if anyone feels so inclined or has the time.

Grace and peace all!
[color=#FF4000][i]Allowing yourself to be corrected is a sign of maturity. Don't fear information, just test it.[/i][/color]

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”