Assessing the Necessity of Open Theism 2

Paidion

Re: Assessing the Necessity of Open Theism 2

Post by Paidion » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:31 pm

So you're basically saying that space is the absence of particles and time is the absence of events. So once there is an event - a thought, activity, awareness, etc. - then time is merely a consequence. So time and space aren't things in and of themselves. That makes some sense to me.
I am glad my statements made sense to you in spite of the fact that your first sentence expresses the opposite of my position (though your second and third sentence express my position exactly).

Space implies the presence of particles. The absence of particles implies the absence of space. Time implies the presence of events. The absence of events implies the absence of time. But maybe that's what you meant. Sometimes my wife says the opposite of what she meant to say.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:55 am

Paidion wrote:Space implies the presence of particles. The absence of particles implies the absence of space. Time implies the presence of events. The absence of events implies the absence of time. But maybe that's what you meant. Sometimes my wife says the opposite of what she meant to say.
Heh! :) That's funny.

I get what you're saying (I think). Interesting. Thanks.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

kenblogton

Post by kenblogton » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:34 am

Reply to Singalphile
Singalphile wrote:If I were to guess, I'd say that you add this "since creation" qualifier in order to limit all of this speculation solely to God's dealings with us (humanity). You don't want to speculate about God before He created our universe (or since you think that time is a created thing that He created when He created our universe, you don't think there was anything "before" then). That's how I'm understanding you, rightly or wrongly.
The word "before" is a time-assuming word. There is no time in eternity. Since we're in a world of time, we haven't an intuitive clue what that means. I assume it all occurred at Creation.
kenblogton

kenblogton

Post by kenblogton » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:44 am

Reply to Paidion
Paidion wrote:So you're basically saying that space is the absence of particles and time is the absence of events. So once there is an event - a thought, activity, awareness, etc. - then time is merely a consequence. So time and space aren't things in and of themselves. That makes some sense to me.
No I'm NOT saying that space is the absence of particles because particles exist is space. I'm also NOT saying that time is the absence of events because nothing may happen in time. What you say are common-sense notions, not scientific ones. Truthfully, my notions of space-time-matter-energy are pretty common-sense as well. My concern is that, whatever they are, God is their Creator and, as their Creator, Himself does not consist of matter or energy and exists outside of time and space.
kenblogton

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”