A Critique of Annihilationism by J.I. Packer

_TK

Post by _TK » Wed May 16, 2007 4:55 pm

derek wrote:
I don't think there is anything in the story that an Annihilationist, or even a Universalist for that matter, couldn't believe, because it does not mention the duration of the punishment of the rich man.
true- i guess i didnt really think of that. i guess the story implies that the rich man will be burning forever, but doesnt say it outright.

thanks for the references, Ely.

TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Wed May 16, 2007 4:57 pm

TK wrote:derek wrote:
I don't think there is anything in the story that an Annihilationist, or even a Universalist for that matter, couldn't believe, because it does not mention the duration of the punishment of the rich man.
true- i guess i didnt really think of that. i guess the story implies that the rich man will be burning forever, but doesnt say it outright.

thanks for the references, Ely.

TK
Where does it imply that TK?
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_TK

Post by _TK » Thu May 17, 2007 10:44 am

derek-- you are right- i read it again and it doesnt imply endless torment. why then is it used as a proof text for the position of endless torment? maybe i am wrong about that too-- i have been arguing conditional immortality with my pastor and he keeps bringing this story up.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Fri May 18, 2007 9:36 pm

Regarding The Rich Man and Lazarus, in "The Parables of Jesus" Joachim Jeremias says:

"In order to understand the parable in detail and as a whole, it is essential to recognize that the first part derives from well known folk-material concerned with the reversal of fortune in the after life. This is the Egyptian folk-tale of the journey of Si-Osiris, the son of Setme Chamois to the under-world, which concludes with the words: 'He who has been good on earth, will be blessed in the kingdom of the dead, and he who has been evil on earth, will suffer in the kingdom of the dead'. Alexandrian Jews brought the story to Palistine, where it became very popular as the story of the poor scholar and rich publican Bar Ma'jan."

Jeremias notes that the story dates back at least prior to 331BC, and appears in the Aramaic Talmud, G. Dalman, Aram. Dialektproben, Leipzig, 1927, pp. 33f.

That the story is about the intermediate state rather the final one is shown by the rich man being in Hades.
Reason:
A Berean

Return to “Views of Hell”