"Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess the Lord

__id_1679

Post by __id_1679 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:22 pm

Danny,

I would caution you in being critical of this fellow at Bumbershoot. If he is a servant of God, then the Spirit of God was leading him. Remember John the Baptist...You and I may not like certain methods of reaching people for Christ. But I think it is the Spirit of Christ who makes the call and the method. Sometimes Jesus was gentle. Sometimes He was not. He provided and still provides the means, method and timing. If He provides all my needs, (and He does) sometimes I need a "hug". Sometimes I need a "swift kick in the pants". Jesus knows His own by name... There was someone in that crowd that heard His voice..."Repent, for the Kingdom of God is upon you"... even though you may not have! :)

In Jesus,
Bob
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:37 pm

Point taken, Bob. I guess I should rejoice that Christ is being preached ... in whatever form. [Typed while gritting my teeth]
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:19 pm

Steve7150,

I think it's a bad idea to use verses in Revelation as proof-texts for a doctrine, since Revelation is an apocryphal book.

Hi Danny, I appreciate your comments but Rick just quoted Rev 20.11 to me about the second coming and judgment and i tried to demonstrate the rest of the story as Paul Harvey says.
Also one of the central topics in this thread is about what hell is exactly. Most people believe the lake of fire is hell although the Preterist position may be entirely different.
Reason:

__id_1679

Post by __id_1679 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:35 pm

Danny,

Quote: "Point taken, Bob. I guess I should rejoice that Christ is being preached ... in whatever form. [Typed while gritting my teeth]".

Indeed! Apostle Paul used different "methods" for reaching the lost for Christ-even encouraged it, i.e, like Mars Hill. Yet he was critical and uncomprimising if the method comprimised truth and sound doctrine. (see Gal. 1; Rom. 14-16; I Cor.2; 4; 15:33-34; 2Cor. 10:3-6, and the encouragement we are enjoined to follow as we become more mature in Christ; Philip.4:4-9.)

Btw, have you given further thought to my challenge of your presuppositions? The idea behind your premise is that if God does not universally save everyone, He is both a failure and defeated by Satan..?

My direct questions then are these:
1) What makes you think God would be a failure if He didn't save 'everyone'?

2) What makes you think God even 'owes' anyone mercy?

3) What makes you think that if God 'failed' in this life to save a man, He must require further 'grace' in the merciful fires of Gehenna in order to save him?

4) In what way is man autonomous? How do you define 'free agency', and man's culpability before a Holy God?

If I am to embrace Christian Universalisim as truth, then I think these questions must be answered from the Word, and not by our feelings or wishful thinking or philosophical presuppositions. Agreed?

In Jesus,
Bob
Reason:

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:45 pm

Bob,

I was being mildly sarcastic in my "Point taken" comment but I'm letting it go so we can get back to the thread at hand. Thank you for bringing us back to the subject and I apologize again for causing us to digress.
If I am to embrace Christian Universalisim as truth, then I think these questions must be answered from the Word, and not by our feelings or wishful thinking or philosophical presuppositions. Agreed?
Before I write a response, I want to clarify: Are you saying that you only want me to answer by providing proof-texts and nothing else? No logic, no reasoning, no exegesis?
Reason:

_mdh

Post by _mdh » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:06 pm

Bob,
My direct questions then are these:

1) What makes you think God would be a failure if He didn't save 'everyone'?
I personally do not think it would be so much that God would be a failure, I just don't think this is what God desires. I believe God knew how things were going to turn out before He created anything. It is hard for me to imagine why He would go ahead with a plan where the majority would either suffer eternally, or be snuffed out of existence. Seems like He would have come up with a better plan than that.

If God truly desires everyone to be saved, and takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked:
a) Why would He devise a plan where most would indeed suffer and die?
b) Why would He not make a more determined effort to get the good news to everyone?

Sometimes He seems to go out of His way to reach people. The Bible teaches that God draws (drags?) men to Himself. It seems like He tries a lot harder with some than with others. Now I understand that He, as God, does not NEED to do anything for anybody. But to me it just seems most reasonable that if He doesn't want anyone to perish, than sooner or later He would draw everyone. That is why, to me, it makes sense that He has a plan that works itself out over a long period of time (say, ages), where He first chooses some, builds them up, makes them like His Son, than proceeds to use them to reach out to the others. It may not all happen in this lifetime, but why should it have to? He has all the time He wants. A million years or 10 minutes, makes no difference to Him. But in the dispensation of the fullness of time, He can gather together ALL into Christ. It just seems like the plan that gives Him the most glory, and seems to be consistent to me with both what I see experientially, and with what the Bible teaches.
2) What makes you think God even 'owes' anyone mercy?

As I said earlier, I do not like to say He OWES anyone mercy. I just think it is who He is. He acts out His character. I believe the "elect" of this age are being made into the likeness of Christ so that they can serve God, and reign with Christ in the ages to come. What does it mean to reign with Christ? What does it mean to be a kingdom of priests? Who do we reign over? Who are we priests for? It just makes sense to me that to reign with Christ means to be a servant like He was. Isn't that what Jesus said? The first in the kingdom was going to be the servant of all? So who will we be serving? Will we not be seeking the "lost" or "destroyed" (apollumi) ones as Jesus did? I think being elect means more than just getting to go to heaven. I think elect means chosen for service. And I think that service doesn't end when we die. In fact, I suspect our service will only be just beginning.

So I do not think it is that God owes us mercy, but I do think that God's mercy never fails, never ceases. And that His judgments are just one aspect of His mercy.

3) What makes you think that if God 'failed' in this life to save a man, He must require further 'grace' in the merciful fires of Gehenna in order to save him?
I do not think God fails at anything He attempts to do. I think He has chosen to teach us through letting us reap what we sow. Personally, I experienced great pain from reaping what I sowed. There was many a day I cried myself to sleep, praying that I would not wake up. I "repented", but God did not take the pain away. It lasted a long time. I believe I learned a great deal from those days. And it brought me to Christ. I expect the "fires of Gehenna" will be something like what I experienced, although possibly much more severe. People will get to experience the pain that they "sowed" for themselves. Get to relive the mistakes they made over and over in their "heads". Get to feel the pain they had caused others. Get to see how they had refused the opportunities to repent during their physical lives.

I just do not believe that this will be a time where God will not show them mercy. If His mercy never fails, if it endures forever (Ps. 136), why would He NOT allow the "fires of Gehenna" to correct. I do not see any reason why He wouldn't. Not because He owes them anything, but because He loves them and created them for a purpose.
4) In what way is man autonomous? How do you define 'free agency', and man's culpability before a Holy God?
This is the hardest question for me, because I have no clue really. It seems in scripture that man is both held responsible, yet God seems to be the active agent in our redemption.

Man was placed onto earth in a state of innocence. Not knowing good or evil. Not experiencing any shame. Yet God (allowed?, placed?) Satan in the garden. He must have known what was going to happen, right? And ever since then, it seems like God has (made, allowed) it to be easier for us to sin than to choose right. Our flesh screams for things that are not good for us. The world we live in is filled with forces of darkness enticing us to choose what feels good, what we know to be wrong. Why would God make it so that we need to swim upstream in order to find Him? Why is the road to destruction wide and the road to life hard and narrow? Must have been for a reason, right? Did this happen by chance?

It makes sense to me that God has a plan in all this. And that scriptures give us hints that in the end, all will have been worth it. God's Word will not return to Him void, but *will* accomplish all His purpose.

I know you did not ask me these questions. I know you wanted it spelled out in scripture. However, I think the scriptures do not give us a complete picture of the purposes of God through the ages. I think that God did not need to tell us everything. He knows what He is doing, and we only need to know that He is trustworthy.

One of the few things I can say with a high level of certainty that God has shown me is that His most perfect revelation of Himself (so far) can be seen in the cross.

>> God was in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself, not counting our sins against us. And He has given us the word of reconciliation!

>> We are ambassadors for Christ, God is making His appeal to the world through us. Be reconciled to God!

>> He made Him who knew no sin, sin for us, that we might be the righteousness of God in Him!

Great verses. But why would God trust to us this ministry, when we are so unfaithful? Will God destroy so many people because we have done such a lousy job of getting out the word? Would He condemn so many to eternal flames because the words we spoke were not the clear gospel?

Somehow I think when all is said and done, all will have had a fair chance at the gospel. All will know the real truth about God's love. I just cannot imagine - once the deceiver is taken out of the way, once our own ability to deceive ourselves is destroyed - I cannot imagine anyone saying NO to a great great God.

I imagine one day everyone who has ever lived will fall on their knees in heartfelt worship before Christ. And that this will bring glory to the Father. What a great plan of His!

Bob, I do not expect this to change your mind. And I know Danny will give a better scriptural defense for UR. I just wanted to get something I have felt to be a growing awareness in me of the beauty of God's plan out for the record. I felt moved to share!

Blessings,
Mike
Reason:

__id_1679

Post by __id_1679 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:21 pm

Hello Danny,

Quote: " Before I write a response, I want to clarify: Are you saying that you only want me to answer by providing proof-texts and nothing else? No logic, no reasoning, no exegesis?"

I think you know what I mean. A "proof text" is often a "pretext" taken out of "context". This is what I meant when we approach Scripture with our own pre-suppositions. I realize we could cite endless links from our favorite writers who have enjoyed some measure of respect with-in the Christian community. With very few exceptions, I have personally tried to avoid someone elses opinions with regard to how we interpret and approach certain passages of Scripture in question . With respect to the "hard sayings" of both God and Jesus we find in the Word, I think we are better off by saying in humble submission; "Lord, I don't know what this or that issue means or implies, but you do".. A little humilty is called for on all sides. Not one of us has an absolute answer. But we know who holds the answers.

Personally, I do not like the idea that God would punish or annilhilate a person for all eternity. I really like the idea of universal reconcilliation.
But I also realize in the grand scheme of things, I am not God. I am not an impartial Judge who knows all the facts in a particular case. I am like a "little child" who simply looks to His Father for his needs but who really doesn't understand his Daddys business.. I grope in the dark in both awe and confusion at times because I don't always understand what He is up to. Yet, I trust Him in all things to do what is right. I do not trust in man or his philosophies and religion. I have come to accept that if God's punishment is eternal or temporal, if He ultimately saves all in Christ, or if He saves only those who have repented and trusted Christ while they live, then He will be just in all He decides. I am 'sold out' for Christ even when I don't understand. Therefore I believe God is always just and always fair in the affairs of men because He is our Creator. He is the potter and we are the clay.

If I disagree with Christian Universalism, please understand it is not out of personal preference . Nor is it because I have sat under the feet of Augustine, Luther or any other post Apostolic Church father that I prefer concious 'eternal damnation'. Frankly, I have read very little about these men's theology. My convictions came from some very agononizing sessions with the Word. In regard to His judgements, whether temporal, remedial, eternal or absolute in nature, I am convinced beyond a shadow of doubt, He is just, fair and loving in all He decides. Amen?

My intention is really not for the purpose of offending some here with my sometimes "off the cuff" remarks about Christian Universalisim. But rather to make people think through to the implications of what they believe about God's Justice and His Mercy extended to us in Christ Jesus our Lord. Christian Universalisim pre-supposes and it is implied in their teaching, that God would be unjust in punishing sin for all eternity. To do so would be cosmic overkill. The best you really can offer, is you that don't understand and neither do I. That would be the humble confession on all sides.

" The LORD said to JOB, " Will the one who contends with the ALMIGHTY correct HIM? Let him who acuses God answer Him!" Then Job answered the LORD: " I am unworthy-how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth. I spoke once, but I have no answer- twice, but I will say no more". Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm: "Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer Me. WOULD
YOU DICREDIT MY JUSTICE? WOULD YOU CONDEMN ME TO JUSTIFY YOURSELF? Job 40:1-8 NIV
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:24 pm

Bob, I understand this expression of your humble heart ---- and I appreciate it!

I would like to comment that a person's mental picture of God is possibly the most important feature in his belief system. If we believe Him to be cruel, causing most people to be tormented eternally, then we may never be able to totally love Him, as we would a loving earthly father. Deep down we know no loving earthly father would punish his child eternally, but that any punishment he may give his child would be meant for his good. Man has been created in God's image, and surely cannot supercede God in love and goodness. The one who believes that God punishes most people eternally, may say that "God is love"; he's heard that all his life, but deep down, he doesn't really believe it. His day-to-day life may suffer, because He doesn't really believe that God will deliver from him from his pain and suffering. After all, God doesn't mind human suffering at all. He wiped out multitudes in OT days, and will send most people to eternal torture. Or even if believers in eternal torment try to save God's reputation by saying that those who go to hell are "sending themselves" there, they still admit that God at least allows eternal torment, and is therefore in some sense responsible for it.

Belief in eternal torment may be largely responsible for the thousands who hate God, those who cry out, "God why did you take my little girl?" or "Why did you kill my husband?" or "What have I done that you gave me cancer?"

The truth is that God doesn't do these things. God really IS love.
You wrote:I am convinced beyond a shadow of doubt, He is just, fair and loving in all He decides. Amen?
AMEN! There is no way to construe eternal torture in hell to be just, fair, and loving.

I will say, however, that the correction in Gehenna is just, fair, and loving. For God will do what it takes to bring every individual to Himself, even if it results in much suffering. But this is not vengeance! It is LOVE.
If there is no other way that a person will repent, then God will use Gehenna --- a severe mercy.

I don't know how the mentally ill or disabled fit into all this --- or those who have never had an opportunity to respond to Christ, etc., etc. But I believe with all my heart that God will do His best for every person.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi Bob,

I appreciate what you are saying, but I'm going to have to take issue with several points. Please understand that this is all meant to be taken as spirited but friendly discussion between brothers.
You stated: If I am to embrace Christian Universalisim as truth, then I think these questions must be answered from the Word, and not by our feelings or wishful thinking or philosophical presuppositions. Agreed?

I asked: Before I write a response, I want to clarify: Are you saying that you only want me to answer by providing proof-texts and nothing else? No logic, no reasoning, no exegesis?

You answered: I think you know what I mean.
No, honestly, I don't know what you mean. If I exegete scripture or argue from logic and/or philosophy you seem to think I'm engaging in "wishful thinking" or "philosophical presuppositions". You have asked a series of questions but then set the conditions so that you can reject any answer out of hand, unless it's the answer you want.

I should make it clear also that my goal is not to convince you to embrace Christian Universalism. As I've stated a couple of times, I would just like to see CU given a fair hearing as a valid alternative to Arminianism or Calvinism.
This is what I meant when we approach Scripture with our own pre-suppositions.
The goal of applying hermeneutics is to minimize approaching scripture with pre-suppositions (or at least identify what they are). Are you saying that Universalists don't use a valid hermeneutic? If so, in what way?
With very few exceptions, I have personally tried to avoid someone elses opinions with regard to how we interpret and approach certain passages of Scripture in question . With respect to the "hard sayings" of both God and Jesus we find in the Word, I think we are better off by saying in humble submission; "Lord, I don't know what this or that issue means or implies, but you do".. A little humilty is called for on all sides. Not one of us has an absolute answer. But we know who holds the answers.
I hope you can forgive me for saying this Bob, but that's just dumb. God gave you a brain. He expects us to use our brains and the myriad of resources available to us to seek Him. Theology has been defined as "faith seeking knowledge". Why shouldn't we learn from people who have invested years into understanding Koine Greek, or 1st century Jewish culture, or Pauline theology? "In a multitude of counsel, there is wisdom". The "hard sayings" of the Bible are often "hard sayings" because we don't understand them. Certainly that is the time to say, "Lord, I don't know what this or that issue means or implies, but you do", but that doesn't mean it's time to quit seeking to understand. If it did, we would have stopped at "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so" (which, in and of itself, is a fine place to stop if that's as far as one wants to go).

IMO, humble submission to the Lord is always the beginning of scripture study and theology in general.

I agree that not one of us has an absolute answer and, of course, humility is called for. That doesn't mean, however, than we cannot formulate viewpoints, convictions and doctrines. Otherwise, Christianity would be a relativistic and subjective pile of goo.
Personally, I do not like the idea that God would punish or annilhilate a person for all eternity. I really like the idea of universal reconcilliation.
But I also realize in the grand scheme of things, I am not God. I am not an impartial Judge who knows all the facts in a particular case. I am like a "little child" who simply looks to His Father for his needs but who really doesn't understand his Daddys business.. I grope in the dark in both awe and confusion at times because I don't always understand what He is up to. Yet, I trust Him in all things to do what is right. I do not trust in man or his philosophies and religion. I have come to accept that if God's punishment is eternal or temporal, if He ultimately saves all in Christ, or if He saves only those who have repented and trusted Christ while they live, then He will be just in all He decides. I am 'sold out' for Christ even when I don't understand. Therefore I believe God is always just and always fair in the affairs of men because He is our Creator. He is the potter and we are the clay.

If I disagree with Christian Universalism, please understand it is not out of personal preference . Nor is it because I have sat under the feet of Augustine, Luther or any other post Apostolic Church father that I prefer concious 'eternal damnation'. Frankly, I have read very little about these men's theology. My convictions came from some very agononizing sessions with the Word. In regard to His judgements, whether temporal, remedial, eternal or absolute in nature, I am convinced beyond a shadow of doubt, He is just, fair and loving in all He decides. Amen?
I wonder if you can you see the contradiction in what you written here. First you say that you don't trust in man or his philosophies and religion, and that whatever God decides is just fine with you. Then in the next breath you say that you disagree with Christian Universalism. Based on what? "...some very agononizing sessions with the Word." That's cool, but I have to ask, are you fluent in koine Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic? Are you an expert on ancient Middle-Eastern cultures and religions? Are you able to study scripture in a pure vacuum of just you, God and the authors of the texts? Me neither. I suspect that you are reading a Bible that has been translated into English. If so, you are relying on man and his philosophies and his religion. Interpretation is intrinsic to translation. In reading a translated Bible, you are reading someone's interpretation. I also suspect that you did not arrive at your current theology all by yourself, with only the direct input of the Holy Spirit. Most likely you have received teaching from various men and so have imbibed their interpretations. When you read scripture therefore, you are reading through the lenses of translators, teachers and theologians. That's not a bad thing. What is bad is to fool yourself into thinking otherwise. You would be wiser to acknowledge that as flawed as man, his philosophies and his religion can be, God works through them. The key is using wisdom and discernment, which implies bringing your God-given intellect to bear.
I am convinced beyond a shadow of doubt, He is just, fair and loving in all He decides. Amen?
Amen!
My intention is really not for the purpose of offending some here with my sometimes "off the cuff" remarks about Christian Universalisim. But rather to make people think through to the implications of what they believe about God's Justice and His Mercy extended to us in Christ Jesus our Lord. Christian Universalisim pre-supposes and it is implied in their teaching, that God would be unjust in punishing sin for all eternity. To do so would be cosmic overkill.
Don't worry, you haven't offended me. I'm quite comfortable with differences of opinion among brothers and sisters. Unity without uniformity.

We all work with pre-suppositions. The question is whether or not our pre-suppositions about a given matter are accurate or not. For example, we all pre-suppose that God is consistent. Scripture tells us so and experience bears it out. If God seems to be telling us something that is inconsistent, our pre-supposition tells us that either it's not God speaking or we're misunderstanding.

Let's say, for example that I stated that God has more affection for rich people than for poor people. You would surely disagree and counter by showing me scriptures that say the opposite. I would tell you that you are "proof-texting". You might try to reason with me by exegeting scripture and explaining the "big picture". I would tell you that are just pre-supposing that God doesn't prefer rich people and after all, who are you, O man, to tell God who He can and can't prefer? This is the kind of box that you've been trying to paint me into.

You seem to assume that I believe in Universalism, first and foremost, because I want to and then have tried to find ways to justify it. This is a false assumption on your part. Over the course of my walk as a Christian, the Holy Spirit has (I believe) directed me into various areas of study. For example, a few years ago I felt a strong "nudging" to study eschatology. I had never really had much interest in it up until then and, frankly, I wasn't too excited about getting into it. But I felt that the Holy Spirit was telling me to do it, so I obeyed. What followed was an in-depth study of eschatology that spanned a couple of years. One of the resources that I came upon during that time was Steve Gregg's book, Revelation: Four views. The more I studied eschatology, the more I started moving towards a Preterist view. I was not happy about this. It was crumbling my pre-suppositions.

My journey towards Christian Universalism has been similar. I would have preferred to not get into it, but I felt compelled by the Holy Spirit to seek a better understanding of sin, Hell, the Atonement, etc. As my studies gradually led me towards Christian Universalism my pre-suppositions began to crumble. This has been very uncomfortable. What was particularly daunting to me were the astounding ramifications of Universalism. I remember crying out to the Lord, with a mixture of joy and fear, "This changes everything!"
The best you really can offer, is you that don't understand and neither do I. That would be the humble confession on all sides.
If that's the best we can offer, then why on earth are we discussing theology? Sing with me: "Je-sus loves me this I know ..."
Reason:

_Father_of_five

Post by _Father_of_five » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:41 am

Mort_Coyle wrote:Each week my wife and I go to the county jail and share Jesus with some pretty sinful people. They are so used to being judged and condemned. They know all too well that their lives are a mess. What we've found is that it is the kindness of Jesus that leads them to repentance, not the condemnation of the Law.
Danny,

I'm curious, how would you characterize your message to these people? Is it something like, "God loves you and wants to help you straighten out your life"?

Deliverance from sin is certainly the message of the New Testament. Since I came to believe in Universal Reconciliation, I have felt like that the traditional message of deliverance from post-death hell is not really the message that Jesus meant to deliver; rather, He was trying to help them straighten out their lives and to enjoy abundant life one can have through the Spirit. Not so much, "believe now so that you go to heaven when you die," but more like, "believe now so that you can have peace with God and man." Not that the afterlife was left out of the equation, but it was not the emphasis of the message as it seems to be portrayed today.

The other thing I've noticed about myself since believing in UR is my heart towards unbelievers has changed. In the past, I would subconsciencely be thinking that God must hate these people because He will torture them forever if they don't repent. But now, my heart is filled with compassion for all people knowing that God truly does love everyone.

Todd
Reason:

Return to “Views of Hell”