"Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess the Lord

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:27 pm

Just wondering, Rae, in what sense all sinners have rebelled against God. A large proportion of them don't believe in God, or if they do, they ignore Him. That doesn't sound like rebellion.
I guess it does sound like rebellion to me. If my child doesn't do what I say or ignores me, isn't that rebellion? Or if my child were to say, "I really don't have a mom and dad. A stork dropped me off at their house." Nature obviously goes against this, but they choose to believe this fictional account instead of the truth and therefore decide they have no reason to listen to my commands. Wouldn't this be rebellion?

Also, in what way would we sin against ourselves or others if we were to put other Gods before the true God? Or if we were to worship an idolatrous image? Wouldn't these be sins against God Himself and really have nothing to do with others?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:44 pm

Todd,
From your answer it appears that you don't think that the "creation" mentioned in these verses includes mankind...right? This question is vitally important to this debate. If "creation" means everything God created, then it includes everyone and everything. With specific reference to Rom 8:21, if that includes all of creation, then this verse is strong support for Universal Reconciliation. Notice that v.22 mentions the "whole creation," which would include mankind, imo.
Romans 8:21 includes ONLY and ALL who are in Christ (Romans 8:1ff). The sons of God in the NT are Christians and only Christians.

I fully realize you take Romans 8:21 as a prooftext of universal reconciliation. Neither you nor anyone else on this thread has demonstrated this view is compatible with NT eschatology. The whole corpus of NT teaching is ignored. With this particular verse, Pauline teaching has been dismissed in favor of a literalistic, and therefore, inaccurate interpretation.

The present Creation (as it exists today) will be renewed through fire and destruction at the Second Coming of Christ. The Second Coming of Christ is the end of this age. When Jesus comes back---even so will come God Almighty! The present heavens and earth (the universe) will "flee from His presence" (Rev 20:11). NeXt Bible translation note: The phrase the earth and the heaven fled from his presence can be understood (1) as visual imagery representing the fear of corruptible matter in the presence of God, but (2) it can also be understood more literally as the dissolution of the universe as we know it in preparation for the appearance of the new heaven and new earth (Rev 21:1).

Rev 20:12 has final judgment right at the Second Coming---and just before when God Almighty, the Father Himself, will be among men. The final judgment will happen first; then New Heavens and New Earth will be "revealed" (re-created through fire) and lived in by the sons of God (Ro 8:21). We don't know how long the final judgment and the events of the New Creation will last.

But we do know that the liberty that will be revealed in the New Creation is the expectation of the sons of God who are in Christ. Those outside of Christ do not have this hope and will not share in it (Romans 8:1, 8:2, 8:4, 8:7, 8:8, 8:11, 8:12, 8:13, 8:14, 8:15, 8:16, 8:17, 8:18, 8:19, 8:20, 8:21, 8:22, 8:23, 8:25, 8:27, 8:28, 8:29, 8:30, 8:31, 8:32, 8:33, 8:34, 8:35, 8:36, 8:37, 8:38, 8:39; Revelation 20:12, 20:13, 20:14, 20:15, 21:3, 21:4, 21:5, 21:6, 21:7, 21:8, 21:27, ).

Rick
Last edited by _Rich on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:26 pm

Danny,
The proclamation of the Good News didn't need any introductory lead-in of bad news. The bad news was all around them. The Good News, as N.T. Wright says, is simply this: Jesus is Lord. The implication, of course, being that in Him is found life and light and meaning and purpose and forgiveness and peace and security and hope and, most of all, love.
In Acts 17 Paul proclaimed some bad news about how gravely in error the Athenians were. His speech was a 'Gentile exposition' of:
Exodus 20 (NASB)
3"You shall have no other gods before Me.
4"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.
5"You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,
6but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

THE COMMANDS OF GOD CANNOT BE DIVORCED FROM THE GOSPEL.
Jesus is Lord. The implication, of course, being that in Him is found life and light and meaning and purpose and forgiveness and peace and security and hope and, most of all, love.
And also the implication, of course, being that OUTSIDE OF HIM is found DEATH and DARKNESS and NIHILISM and GUILT and CONFLICTS and INSECURITY and HOPELESSNESS and, most of all, HATE.
I became a follower of Jesus, not because I was convicted of my sin, but because my life was empty and meaningless. What "Jesus is Lord" meant to me (and still means to me) was meaning and purpose brought about by entering into a relationship with the creator of the universe. As an extra added bonus, my sins were forgiven and my heart was changed. I began to experience life eternal (aionios - of the ages) here and now. I didn't need the bad news of Hell to make the Good News of this new life in Christ any sweeter than it already is.

The Gospel that hooked me was that in the deepest, darkest midst of my sin, God sought me out. He found me first, took me by the hand and led me into the Light. Then we began the process of dealing with my sin. That process continues...
When you became a Christian did you know you were a sinner and that God would judge and hold you accountable by the Man (Jesus) He appointed? (Acts 17:31, Romans 2:16).

I, too, became a Christian, in part, to find "meaning in life" (my life had become meaningless due to my sins, being a sinner). I don't understand how you seem to be extricating the forgiveness of sins from becoming a Christian. "Jesus is Lord" is never separated from sin (God's Commands) and forgiveness (through Christ). In Paul's address to the Athenians, he didn't exclude the truths about sin OR forgiveness. He taught two of the 10 Commandments. Sin and its consequences and the forgiveness of sins are inherent in the Gospel that "Jesus is Lord".
(To Homer) you wrote:Of course I don't think God is either Arminian or Calvinist. Calvinism, Arminianism, Universalism and all of our other "isms" are our feeble attempts to understand what God is up to.
Calvinists and Universalists (or Reconciliationists) embrace the philosophy of Determinism and base their entire theology on or around it....(I just had to point this out).

Rick
Last edited by _Rich on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:44 pm

STEVE,
1. The demons believed because they knew, but they never made Jesus their Lord did they Rick?

2. I did'nt realize Rom 10.9-10 says "in this age only", which bible translation is it in?

3. But the bible does say you can only believe Jesus is Lord through the Holy Spirit. If you have the Holy Spirit you are saved or at least on the right path.

4. In Romans 8.20 "the creation" groaning and waiting for the revealing of the Sons of God has got to be the rest of mankind, as Paul is not interested in trees he is interested in his fellow human beings.
1. Demons and/or evil spirits know Jesus is Lord. Before they sinned and were cast down to the earth as punishment they were undoubtedly obedient to His Lordship.

2. Every one ever written, that I know of. Do you have a version that tells how Paul---or anyone---will preach the Gospel after Jesus comes back?

3. Yes, the Holy Spirit is given ONLY to the sons of God who are in Christ and NOT to those who are in the flesh and live according to it (Romans chapter 8, verses 1-38; especially, 8:4, 8:5, 8:6, 8:7, 8:8, 8:9, 8:10, 8:11, 8:13, 8:14, 8:15, 8:16, 8:17, 8:23, 8:27).

4. The sons of God in Romans 8:21 are believers only (Romans 8:12, 8:15, 8:16, 8:17, 8:21, 8:29, 8:30).

Paul writes about the same in Colossians 3:4 (NASB)
When Christ, who is our [Christians'] life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory. Christ, who is [the eternal] life for believers, will be revealed at end of this age: when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire, dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power[1], when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed--for our testimony to you was believed (2 Thess 1:7b-10, NASB).

[1] Rev 20:11Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them.
At the Final Judgment all will be in the presence of Christ for Final Judgment; "no place was found for them" shows the Old Creation is passing away at His presence; all people have no place 'on earth' to go or to be; earth and all Creation is being burned up.

We [believers] will get glorious immortal bodies: when all things will be restored (2 Pet 3:13, Acts 3:21, Romans 8:21, Rev 21:1). A "new place will be found" for those who are not cast away from His presence. Only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life will enter into this "new place"---the Restored Creation, the New Heavens and New Earth (Rev 20:11, 21:1ff).

Rick
Last edited by _Rich on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason:

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:23 am

Hi Rick,
In Acts 17 Paul proclaimed some bad news about how gravely in error the Athenians were:
Exodus 20 (NASB)
3"You shall have no other gods before Me.
4"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.
5"You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,
6but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
Strange, but in my Bible I don't see Paul quoting Exodus 20 at the Areopagus. He does, however, point out that there is a better way to worship God than through an object.
THE COMMANDS OF GOD CANNOT BE DIVORCED FROM THE GOSPEL.
Are you saying that prior to sharing the Gospel with someone we should list the commands of Exodus and Leviticus?
I wrote:
Jesus is Lord. The implication, of course, being that in Him is found life and light and meaning and purpose and forgiveness and peace and security and hope and, most of all, love.

You replied:
And also the implication, of course, being that OUTSIDE OF HIM is found DEATH and DARKNESS and NIHILISM and GUILT and CONFLICTS and INSECURITY and HOPELESSNESS and, most of all, HATE.
Absolutely! Those words well describe my life apart from Christ.
When you became a Christian did you know you were a sinner and that God would judge and hold you accountable by the Man (Jesus) He appointed? ... I don't understand how you seem to be extricating the forgiveness of sins from becoming a Christian.
No, I had almost no concept of what sin was and, therefore, of my own sinfulness, when I became a Christian. I was not a repentant convert in that sense. By becoming a Christian though I was surrendering to Jesus' lordship, which included a willingness to learn what He considered to be sin and to repent from it. As I said earlier, that began a process which continues to this day.
I don't understand how you seem to be extricating the forgiveness of sins from becoming a Christian. "Jesus is Lord" is never separated from sin (God's Commands) and forgiveness (through Christ).
From Christ's perspective, I'm certainly not. I agree that "Jesus is Lord" is never seperated from Christ's forgiveness for our sin. This is why I stated that the implication of "Jesus is Lord" is that "in Him is found life and light and meaning and purpose and forgiveness and peace and security and hope and, most of all, love."

My own experience was that I received forgiveness before I even knew I needed it. Later, as I realized this, I marvelled at His grace towards me (and still do).
In Paul's address to the Athenians, he didn't exclude the truths about sin OR forgiveness.
Paul commended the Athenians for being religious and built upon their flawed theology to explain that the divine being shouldn't be worshipped as an image. This was the only specific "sin" that Paul brought up and he did so in a most gracious manner, actually using their idolatry as a way to explain the one true God to them. Paul even quoted the Greek poet Epumentes ("In Him we live and move and have our being") and the Stoic philosopher Aratus ("We are His offspring"). He is beginning from where they're at and appealing to them as a philosopher, without failing to acknowledge sin and judgement. He uses their worship of idols as a starting point and so, obviously, must make it clear that he is not condoning idolatry. Forgiveness doesn't really come up except by implication.

Paul's gracious, sensitive and strategic approach is a far cry from the heavy-handed techniques of "Way of the Master" which rely on beating someone down with condemnation over sin in order to make them feel they need Jesus as an escape from Hell.
Both sin and its consequences and the forgiveness of sins are inherent in the Gospel that "Jesus is Lord".
I agree.
Calvinists and Universalists (or Reconciliationists) embrace the philosophy of Determinism and base their entire theology on or around it....(I just had to point this out).
That is not accurate. Determinism and Existential Autonomy are two ends of the spectrum. It does not need to be a case of either/or. I believe it is both/and. We are autonomous, but our self-determination is finite. We do not possess unbounded freedom. We make choices, but our choices are always within boundaries. Lots of factors determine the scope of those boundaries and, therefore, the amount of autonomy one has in any given situation.

Lastly, I need to go back a bit and dispute this statement that you made:
Neo-Platonism and dualistic gnostic themes are prominent in the teachings of Origen who, as you know, taught universalism.
Origen was certainly influenced by Plotinus (the founder of Neo-Platonism), but I think clarification needs to be made about "dualistic gnostic themes" being prominent in his teachings. Origen, in keeping with Platonism made a distinction between the physical world and the "invisible" or "spiritual" world (as many Christians still do). This Platonic worldview certainly led to his allegorical approach to scripture interpretation. In that sense, he was a dualist. On the other hand, Origen was not a dualist in the sense of viewing good (God) and evil (Satan) as having any kind of equality or balance. As McGrath writes:
"Origen was deeply suspicious of any form of dualism - that is, any belief system which acknowledged the existence of two supreme powers, one good and one evil. This belief was characteristic of many forms of Gnosticism, and was very influential in the eastern Mediterranean world in the late second century. Arguing that dualism was fatally flawed, Origen pointed out that this had important implications for the Christian doctrine of salvation. To reject dualism is to reject the idea that God and Satan rule over their respective kingdoms for eternity. In the end, God will overcome evil and restore creation to its original form. In its original form, creation was subject to the will of God. It therefore follows, on the basis of this "restorationist" soteriology, that the final redeemed version of creation cannot include anything along the lines of "a Hell" or "a kingdom of Satan." All "will be restored to their condition of happiness ... in order that the human race ... may be restored to that unity promised by the Lord Jesus Christ." - Alister McGrath, Christian Theology, 437
It strikes me that a lot of the defense of Christian Universalism in this thread is really just correcting mistaken assumptions about what Universalists believe.
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:52 am

Hello Danny,
Strange, but in my Bible I don't see Paul quoting Exodus 20 at the Areopagus. He does, however, point out that there is a better way to worship God than through an object.
I made an amendment to my original post which you may not have seen yet:
where I wrote:In Acts 17 Paul proclaimed some bad news about how gravely in error the Athenians were. His speech was a 'Gentile exposition' of:
Exodus 20 (NASB)....
To me, Paul's Acts 17 speech was a perfect 'Introduction to: God and the 10 Commandments' to his Athenian Gentile audience. Are you saying that Paul didn't have the first Two Commandments in mind? If he didn't then what DID he? What are you talking about with: "Paul not quoting"? Are you saying a Gospel message has to contain exact word-for-word quotations from the Bible?
I wrote:THE COMMANDS OF GOD CANNOT BE DIVORCED FROM THE GOSPEL.

You replied:
Are you saying that prior to sharing the Gospel with someone we should list the commands of Exodus and Leviticus?
No! Paul didn't even quote the first Two. But he certainly had them in mind. What I said was that the Gospel doesn't make sense without knowing what [SINS] we are saved from. Forgiven? What for? Sin? What's that? (was all I said).....
I wrote:When you became a Christian did you know you were a sinner and that God would judge and hold you accountable by the Man (Jesus) He appointed? ... I don't understand how you seem to be extricating the forgiveness of sins from becoming a Christian.

Your reply:
No, I had almost no concept of what sin was and, therefore, of my own sinfulness, when I became a Christian. I was not a repentant convert in that sense. By becoming a Christian though I was surrendering to Jesus' lordship, which included a willingness to learn what He considered to be sin and to repent from it. As I said earlier, that began a process which continues to this day.
To become a Christian, I'm sure you would agree that one has to realize "There's something the matter with me." What's the matter with us is "sin" and what-all that word means, which is a LOT of things; I'm sure you would agree again.

What I like about Comfort & Kirk is how they tell how the Gospel isn't only about "finding meaning in my life" or the "Try Jesus" gospel. I believe Comfort & Kirk's ministry is legitimate; they are fulfilling their calling. Not everyone is a Billy Graham, Joel Osteen, or N.T. Wright. Before I got saved I was witnessed to by some guys who used a "Comfort & Kirk" type method, except it was with the 4 Spiritual Laws. They were just as "direct" though they had more time to explain things to me (at an open invitation Bible study on lunch where I worked). Comfort & Kirk are called to a widespread demographic. I don't put them down because I'm not called to do what they do. Same thing with men like Osteen. When I witness to folks I have my own style and gifting that the Lord has given me; I'm called to do that. If anyone comes to Christ through anyone's ministry I'm all for it though I may not do it just like they do.
I agree that "Jesus is Lord" is never separated from Christ's forgiveness for our sin. This is why I stated that the implication of "Jesus is Lord" is that "in Him is found life and light and meaning and purpose and forgiveness and peace and security and hope and, most of all, love."

My own experience was that I received forgiveness before I even knew I needed it. Later, as I realized this, I marvelled at His grace towards me (and still do).
Oic, me too. But at the same time you initially had "almost" no concept of what sin was...getting back to the "Something's the matter with me." Now me? I knew what sin was for sure....

Not to go on about Comfort & Kirk but...they make sure that when people get saved they know what they are getting themselves into: a call to repent and obey God's Commands by becoming a disciple of Jesus. They are to be commended for this, imo.
Paul commended the Athenians for being religious and built upon their flawed theology to explain that the divine being shouldn't be worshipped as an image. This was the only specific "sin" that Paul brought up and he did so in a most gracious manner, actually using their idolatry as a way to explain the one true God to them. Paul even quoted the Greek poet Epumentes ("In Him we live and move and have our being") and the Stoic philosopher Aratus ("We are His offspring"). He is beginning from where they're at and appealing to them as a philosopher, without failing to acknowledge sin and judgement. He uses their worship of idols as a starting point and so, obviously, must make it clear that he is not condoning idolatry. Forgiveness doesn't really come up except by implication.
Paul learned of the sin of idolatry as a Jew: Commandments 1 & 2, and presented AN UNKNOWN GOD (the True God they did not know Who) truths to them in ways they could understand. Good paragraph, of a different insight than your first in-quotes (above).

Will those who sneered at Paul, calling him a "babbler" and rejecting his message, be saved some day?
Paul's gracious, sensitive and strategic approach is a far cry from the heavy-handed techniques of "Way of the Master" which rely on beating someone down with condemnation over sin in order to make them feel they need Jesus as an escape from Hell.
On that particular day in Athens, Paul used a calm and well-reasoned philosophical apologetic. On other occasions he was quite vehement and judgmental. Some are saved through fear and are 'snatched from the fire'. Others are saved by a more merciful approach. Others yet are reached through a combination of mercy and fear (Jude 22-23).

If anyone---anyone at all---comes to faith in Christ through a ministry, I won't oppose their evangelism; (which isn't to say I might not oppose some of their other doctrines). For example, people get saved hearing John MacArthur...but after that...I'd encourage a new Christian to reject his Calvinism.

to be continued......
Last edited by _Rich on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Father_of_five

Post by _Father_of_five » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:43 am

Rick_C wrote:With this particular verse, Pauline teaching has been dismissed in favor of a literalistic, and therefore, inaccurate interpretation.

The present Creation (as it exists today) will be renewed through fire and destruction at the Second Coming of Christ.
Rick,

First you say that literalistic interpretations of this verse are inaccurate, and then you proceed to give a literal interpretation. So, which is it?

You believe this is a reference to the new heavens and new earth. It certainly could be, but even that could be viewed as a present reality.

2 Cor 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

And, BTW, we find that word "creation" again. Obviously, he is not talking about the earth here.

Here are some more examples where Paul uses the same greek word "ktivsi" which is translated either creation or creature.

Col 1:15
Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

Col 1:23
If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Was Paul preaching to the trees?

Heb 4:13
Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

If nothing else, these verses indicate that "creation" can be refering to people.

But mainly, you quote many verses in objection to my interpretation which, to me, have no conflict. Let me explain further...

Firstly, you keep saying that the "sons of God" in vs. 21 are Christians. I have always agreed with that. Paul makes that clear in vs. 14. I believe that Paul is telling us that Christians, (the elect, the firstfruits) will rise first in the resurrection. Here is a similar reference from James.

James 1:18
Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.

Paul makes this a little clearer in vs. 23

Rom 8:23
Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.

Paul says here that that Christians are ALSO waiting for the resurrection. The logical conclusion (to me) is that all people will ultimately share in the same glorious liberty (vs. 21).

You seem to disagree because you believe that such an interpretation is in conflict with other scriptures...I don't see it. Here's why. The first group (the sons of God) are Christians which Paul defines in vs. 14.

Rom 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

The second group (whole creation) is everybody else. These have not been forgiven and therefore must undergo judgment/punishment. You have said also that those who are not forgiven must pay for their sins in the judgment, I agree. The difference is that you believe that after the judgment these people are annihilated, but Rom 8:21 indicates the opposite - that they are renewed and share in the glorious liberty of the sons of God.

Todd
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:44 am

Unlike Origen, Augustine was with the Manichean cult for years. The teaching of that cult was that there was an eternal struggle between good and evil. When Augustine returned to Catholicism, it seems that he carried that belief with him, and that it was translated into the proposition of eternal torment in hell, where rebels would lift their fists in defiance to God forever.

The concept that God is the author of every event upon earth, and that He chooses some to be "saved" and others to be doomed eternally, is another legacy of Augustine.

Augustine probably had greater influence on the succeeding church than any other individual in history.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:12 am

Rick,

here is where it says repentance after death is possible.

"Anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire" Rev 20.15

"I will give of the fountain of water of life freely to him who thirsts. He who overcomes shall inherit all things." Rev 21.7 "Will give" as in still possible in the future!

"Come i will show you the bride, the Lamb's wife" 21.9 The bride already is already in heaven yet in the present tense Jesus speaks of giving the water of life to sinners.

"It's gates shall not be shut at all" 21.25 (Heaven is still open)

"Blessed are those who do his commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city" 22.14 "They may have" is future tense and "may enter" again future tense!

"And the Spirit and the bride say, Come"
"And let him who thirsts come, whoever desires" 22.17

The last verse is 5 verses before the end of the bible, it includes folks in the LOF, imo.

I take the verses after Christ's return as generally chronological but even if not it still does not exclude folks in the LOF a/k/a "hell."
BTW the LOF is called the second death and Paul said death is the last enemy to be destroyed which means the LOF will be destroyed at some point in time.
Reason:

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:42 am

Amen, Paidion.

Rick,

I apologize for taking things off into a tangent with my digression about "Way of the Master". I still maintain my original assertion however that you don't see that type of evangelism in the New Testament. Obviously Paul had the Torah in his mind while preaching at the Areopagus (and everywhere else), but that wasn't my point. Paul didn't try to beat the Athenians down with the Torah in order to set them up to receive Christ.
What I said was that the Gospel doesn't make sense without knowing what [SINS] we are saved from.
I think that is narrowing the Gospel down to merely a salvation from sin message. The Gospel is that, but it's so much more. I understand the Gospel to be an invitation to enter into relationship with the Lord and Creator of the universe. One factor of this relationship is the forgiveness of sins, another is purpose and meaning, another is restoration (for example, of relationships, sometimes of health, etc.), another is healing (emotional, spiritual and sometimes physical), etc., etc. In other words, it is entering into abundant life here and now which comes from God and stretches into eternity.

I entered into this relationship without really knowing what sins I was being saved from. Unlike Paul, I wasn't raised with the Torah. I always figured that if I wasn't hurting anyone else, then the things I was doing (sex, drugs and rock & roll) were OK.

The Holy Spirit had to give me remedial baby Christian tutoring and teach me what my sins were and why they were bad. It took years. Sometimes I still get sent back to class.
To become a Christian, I'm sure you would agree that one has to realize "There's something the matter with me." What's the matter with us is "sin" and what-all that word means, which is a LOT of things; I'm sure you would agree again.
I agree now, but at the time I became a Christian that statement would have been meaningless to me, other than the vague notion that something was wrong with my life.
On that particular day in Athens, Paul used a calm and well-reasoned philosophical apologetic. On other occasions he was quite vehement and judgmental.
Can you point out some examples of Paul being vehement and judgemental towards Gentiles in an evangelistic setting?
If anyone---anyone at all---comes to faith in Christ through a ministry, I won't oppose their evangelism; (which isn't to say I might not oppose some of their other doctrines).
Each week my wife and I go to the county jail and share Jesus with some pretty sinful people. They are so used to being judged and condemned. They know all too well that their lives are a mess. What we've found is that it is the kindness of Jesus that leads them to repentance, not the condemnation of the Law.

A few months ago, I was at Bumbershoot with my wife and son (Bumbershoot is a huge outdoor festival in Seattle with bands, food, etc.). Outside the gates there were guys taking turns standing on a box, doing the WOTM thing with a megaphone, signs, etc. They were not reaching the crowd. In fact, the passersby were mocking them. Were those passersby rejecting Christ? I don't think so. They were rejecting a wild-eyed guy on a box spitting into a megaphone about sin and Hell. Nowhere to be found was an indicator of God's Love, Grace and Mercy.

I decided to tell the megaphone man that if he really wanted to reach these people for Christ, he should get off of his box and serve them. Minister the love of God to them. Set up a table with free snacks and cold drinks. Give free massages (massage stations are everywhere in Seattle). And here's a novel thought: Engage people in conversation instead of yelling at them through a megaphone! I started to move towards him, but my son held me back. I embarrass him when I do things like that.

Seattle is a fairly pagan city. I wonder, for those hundreds (or thousands) that passed by megaphone man and caught a snippet of his "turn or burn" message, is that the representation of Christ and Christianity that will stick with them?
If anyone comes to Christ through anyone's ministry I'm all for it though I may not do it just like they do.
Augustine posited that it was OK to bring people to Christ through the sword or torture or other means of coercion. Sadly the Catholic Church applied his position with zeal. I'm sure you don't agree with this form of "ministry" to bring people to Christ. God bless Ray and that actor guy, but it's not my cup 'o kool-aid. It hits me as coercive. Perhaps my problem is that their approach is just so radically different from the way I came to Christ.

Let's agree to disagree about WOTM and move on.
Will those who sneered at Paul, calling him a "babbler" and rejecting his message, be saved some day?
Yes, I believe they will. And boy, won't they feel stupid! But grateful.

Steve7150,

I think it's a bad idea to use verses in Revelation as proof-texts for a doctrine, since Revelation is an apocryphal book.
Reason:

Return to “Views of Hell”