Universalism and the Character of God

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:37 pm

Traveler wrote:Indeed, God is love. But He is also Holy. The "vengence of God" is a Holy Vengence. The "wrath of God is a Holy Wrath". The justice of God is a Holy Justice. The love of God is a Holy Love. When God excersises any of these character qualities Steve, one does not overide or over rule the other. Otherwise, you make God out to be a contradiction and confusing.
The conflict you seem to struggle with is in reconciling God's Love with His Wrath, or the positive outgoing of His Justice.
Jumping in here, Bob, with my thoughts about this, if I may:

I agree that the "vengeance" (actually "judgment") of God is a holy judgment, as is His wrath, and His justice.

However, these attributes cannot be made consistent by prefixing each one with the word "holy". The reason these attributes are consistent with the character of God is that they all spring out of His LOVE. His LOVE is not just another attribute, but His very essence.

Thus when God becomes angry at sin, judges sinners, and punishes them, it all springs from His LOVE. He wants the very best for each individual. Thus with regards to His purpose, the great plan of the ages to reconcile ALL to Himself, He takes whatever steps are necessary, painful though they may be, to accomplish this divine intention.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:34 pm

Calvinists deny free will in this life, universalists deny it in the next....

How strongly I disagree with both Calvinism and universalism is nothing new.
But on this particular point, I've recently become well aware....

Have a good day,
Rick
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

Return to “Views of Hell”