Is UR fair to those who believe NOW?

steve

Re: Is UR fair to those who believe NOW?

Post by steve » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi Homer,

You wrote:
The analogy of God, as Father, to good human fathers does not hold in many respects. Your argument presupposes that God is the Father of such as the Hitlers and Hefners of this world. This is, IMO, false. They would seem to be children of the devil as Paul said of Elymas, Acts 13:10...
...and, I might add, as Paul said that we also were (Eph.2:1ff). It doesn't bother any of us that such children of the devil as ourselves might be granted the mercy of being adopted as God's sons. I am not sure what could possibly seem objectionable to people such as ourselves, were God to extend the same mercy to such children of the devil as Hitler or Hefner? How would such objections differ from the attitude of prodigal's older brother?
It appears to me that God is not in the business of disciplining those who are not His children
Is it possible that some of us who had to endure hard dealings from God before we repented might look back at those dealings as a kind of proleptic "discipline" of His [future] children? What if all of the suffering of mankind, including hell for some, turned out to be a disciplining of God's future sons? I just don't think we know enough to be sure that it isn't the case.
but, at some point at least, "gives them over" to the path they have chosen, Romans 1. Why would He ever do that if He is determined to save them?...

It would be no less just if God had established no cut-off point. There are many indications in scripture that there is a cut-off point, and that the point may be reached prior to death for some.
If this giving over has only to do with their actions in this lifetime (and who could insist otherwise?), then it might still be consistent with a plan, at a later time, to break their resistance and save them. I don't know. I'm just saying there is nothing illogical about the suggestion.
This mystery, the uniting (or summing up) of all things is clearly a reference to the gentiles being brought into the church on an equal basis with the Jews, a frequent topic of Paul's. And I should not need to prove again the obvious: "all" (pas) frequently does not literally mean all in total.
Yes, but Arminians, like you and me, believe that it means "every last person" in many contexts which Calvinists would dispute (especially passages about the extent of the atonement and of God's will to save). We have to grant that "all" does not always mean absolutely all, but, when dealing with Calvinists, we do think that the artificial limitation of the word without the pressure of contextual or grammatical necessity, especially when doing so has only the effect of limiting the grace of God, amounts to "special pleading" (a logical error—and an exegetical one, too).
The problem we have is one of bias. Bias that is based on noble ideas and a tender heart. It is easy to be inclined toward universalism, and the traditional and annihilationist views are not winsome. Yet the scriptures are full of threats directed to those who reject our Lord. God is not like the blustering Wizard of Oz.
A tender heart, I suppose, can be a dangerous thing. I think the failure to have a tender heart (the opposite of which is a "hard heart") may also be an even more dangerous thing. I think the most important (and safest) thing is to have the heart of Jesus, and to assume that His Father has the same.
As I have argued from the beginning of this interminable discussion, souls will be lost because of the teaching of universalism. If universalism arguments are accepted, it can not be shown from scriptures that there is any time lapse at all between judgement day and when a person might repent. And this is all the unregenerate needs to hear before he decides to take his chances.
[/quote]

And I have argued from the beginning that the man who "accepts Christ" with no deeper intention than to hedge his bets is arguably a false disciple (that Jesus warned that there would be many such cannot be ignored).

I have heard this claim that preaching universalism will prevent some people from being genuinely saved—and perhaps it is true. I wonder if this claim is testable. The opposite assertion actually seems to have much anecdotal evidence in its favor—e.g., Mike (MDH), here at this forum, has said that he was driven away from Christ by the traditional doctrine of hell, and only came to Christ after he came to believe in universal reconciliation. He is by no means the only person with this testimony that I have met. Would anyone here would question the depth of his conversion?

Yet, I have not yet heard the testimonies of those who would say that, when they believed in universalism, they found God repugnant, but only came to love Him upon coming to the conviction that the traditional view of hell is true. There may be such people. I am not denying it. I simply would like to hear them speak up, since they would be one way to prove the assertion that preaching universalism keeps people from coming to Christ. Paul said it is the goodness of God that leads men to repentance. I think the anecdotal evidence that I have heard is that the traditional doctrine has kept more people from being saved than has an evangelical form of universalism.

I know that you feel like the Lone Ranger out here disputing the universal reconciliation position, but (while it may seem otherwise) I am personally not a convinced universalist. The reason I take many of your points to task is that I do not wish for myself, or anyone else, to reject any doctrine upon the basis of faulty exegesis or faulty logic.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:00 pm

I know that you feel like the Lone Ranger out here disputing the universal reconciliation position, but (while it may seem otherwise) I am personally not a convinced universalist

Though i may sound like it, i'm not a UR idealogue but i do think it's a good possibility. If in the end God saves most people but not all and justice is served that would be just fine with me.
I would like to be able to honestly say that if the ET view is true that would be just fine also but i can't honestly say that, for i know many people including some atheists who are better,nicer people then me but they need more evidence then i do to believe and for that misjudgment they should spend eternity in flames or outer darkness?
I'm sorry but that scenerio sounds at best insane to me. When i first became a believer my mentor was very strong on eternal hell and what i did was choose to believe in God/Jesus and put eternal hell on the side until i could learn more about it and in time i did.
I've heard Steve say many times "God owes us nothing" and i agree therefore i understand and accept the annhilation view , but this ET view is so horrendous i don't really think we can really comprehend it's meaning, it's like the worst torture on earth multiplied trillions of times.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:50 am

Hi Steve,

You wrote:
but (while it may seem otherwise) I am personally not a convinced universalist.
I find it surprising that you are not; you appear to be enamored with the idea. I am hard pressed to think of anything you have said critical of the universalist position except for Todd's "no-heller" views, which are, IMO, as rational as any other. And some of your recent comments indicate sympathy with his views.
The reason I take many of your points to task is that I do not wish for myself, or anyone else, to reject any doctrine upon the basis of faulty exegesis or faulty logic.
I must conclude from your scarce rebuttal of the universalist arguments that, in your opinion, their exegesis and logic are flawless.

I just finished reading a biography of Hosea Ballou, the ultra-universalist, and was surprised to see that so many of his ideas have been advocated here at the forum. You would find it interesting.

You may have the last word, I repent of my involvement in the discussion of the subject here.

God bless, Homer

steve

Post by steve » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:45 am

I have not read Ballou, though his book is on my list. I have read about eight books favorable to the traditional view, about six or seven favorable to the conditional immortality view, and only about three or four, so far, favoring the universal reconciliation view—but they have argued the case very well. I think I have had very good opportunity to compare the scriptural cases for the respective views, and can fairly assess the weight of the arguments for each, without having any predisposition to defend any one of them above the others.

You say I seem enamored with the universal reconciliation view. This suggests emotional affinity with it, apart from exegetical considerations. I don't become impressed with a view unless I find its exegetical credentials to be pretty impressive. As for emotional affinity, certainly you as an Arminian would have to agree that even God (who, we affirm, would wish to see all men saved) must find Himself at least in emotional sympathy with universalism. The question is whether He has actually set up a system with which He is not maximally in sympathy.

Some of the arguments for universal reconciliation that have been presented here (and in books) do not strike me as valid. The fact that I do not always jump in to correct them all does not imply my agreement. I do not claim that a bad argument for a position will never go by me without my correcting it. I did say that I don't like to see a position rejected because of arguments being brought against it that are inadequate. It is like seeing a man declared guilty of a crime on insufficient evidence. He may in fact be guilty, but I would not wish to see him condemned on evidence that does not make the case against him.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:19 pm

I just want to say that I believe my opinions on Christian matters are based on the words of Christ and his apostles as well as the OT prophets and second century Christian literature. However, I do not necessarily hold to these opinions eternally ---- or even aionally.

My previous understanding of "αι'ωνιος", the adjectival form of "αι'ων" (an age) was based upon the supposition that an age was a thousand years, so that an "age of ages" was a million years, and "ages of ages" was much more yet.

After having examined many instances of "αι'ωνιος" in both secular and religious literature, I realized that "age-long" is not a particularly good translation. In one writing, a wall was said to be "αι'ωνιος". Josephus referred to a particular prison sentence as "αι'ωνιος", though it seems that sentence lasted only three years. Then there is the case which Homer mentioned, where it is written in the Septuagint that Jonah prayed from the belly of the fish, "I went down into the earth, whose bars are the "αι'ωνιος" barriers...", though he had been in the belly of the fish only three days.

I am now convinced that the adjective "αι'ωνιος" means "lasting", and that the noun "αι'ων" means a long period of time, but it may be only a person's life time. I still maintain that "αι'ωνιος" never means "eternal" although it is used to describe that which is eternal.
The English word "lasting" can be used in the same way. Through Christ we have lasting life. I think we all agree that this lasting life will never end. But that fact does not indicate that "lasting" sometimes means "eternal".

But I still suspect the phrase "ages of ages" refers to a very long period of time which may last for thousands or millions of years. The phrase is usually translated "forever and ever". If that what it means, then the book of Revelation contradicts Paul.

Revelation 11:15 Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever.” ESV

Paul indicates that Christ shall reign only until all His enemies are under His feet, and then He will deliver the kingdom to God so that God may be all in all.

But each in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ. Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power. For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet.
When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things in subjection under him, that God may be all in all. I Cor 15:23-25,28
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Views of Hell”