Memo to Jonathan Edwards

mikew

Re: Memo to Jonathan Edwards

Post by mikew » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:52 pm

Michelle wrote::mrgreen:

Our chief weapon is surprise. And fear. Fear and surprise. Our two weapons are fear and surprise. And ruthless efficiency. Our three weapons are...
OMG. I still watch the show and missed the reference to Maxwell Smart. I didn't get it until the mention of some Monty Python guy. Am I really so mindless when I watch TV?

No response is necessary.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

steve

Post by steve » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:26 pm

Actually (not that it matters), those were references to Monte Python. Maxwell Smart's shtick was, "Would you believe..."

mikew

Post by mikew » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:41 pm

steve wrote:Actually (not that it matters), those were references to Monte Python. Maxwell Smart's shtick was, "Would you believe..."
hmm. It sounded familiar, though I don't really remember seeing any of Monty Python. Maybe the idea was used elsewhere.

I repent.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

RND

Post by RND » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:21 pm

steve wrote:This memo to Jonathan Edwards from his church secretary came, by a strange providence, into my hands today, and I thought it might interest our participants, and possibly provoke discussion:

Memo to: Jonathan Edwards
Re: Your sermon "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God"

The Spanish Inquisition called (I never expected them!). They want their doctrine back. They feel that they, being the inventors of the trademark "God the Torturer" motif, have the rights to control its use in sermons and publications. Between ourselves, they seem to be jealous that the Protestant movement can reap the same benefits as they themselves got out of the doctrine, which was created specifically for the purpose of keeping "protesters" and "dissidents" loyal to the Roman Catholic communion. They say they think it unethical for you to take their innovation and to put it to a use contrary to its intended purpose. You will be hearing from their attorneys. ;-)
Seems like "par for the course" in that he also kept "their" sabbath! Why would anyone desire to steal the fake instead of the original?
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:49 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jill

Post by Jill » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:01 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:34 pm

Karen, I have never heard of "Jonathan Edwards Sunshine". Just so that you have a taste of the Jonathan Edwards to whom the rest of us refer, I'll give you the most famous (or "infamous") portion of his work Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God:

The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked: his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire; he is of purer eyes than to bear to have you in his sight; you are ten thousand times more abominable in his eyes, than the most hateful venomous serpent is in ours. You have offended him infinitely more than ever a stubborn rebel did his prince; and yet it is nothing but his hand that holds you from falling into the fire every moment. It is to be ascribed to nothing else, that you did not go to hell the last night; that you was suffered to awake again in this world, after you closed your eyes to sleep. And there is no other reason to be given, why you have not dropped into hell since you arose in the morning, but that God's hand has held you up. There is no other reason to be given why you have not gone to hell, since you have sat here in the house of God, provoking his pure eyes by your sinful wicked manner of attending his solemn worship. Yea, there is nothing else that is to be given as a reason why you do not this very moment drop down into hell.

O sinner! Consider the fearful danger you are in: it is a great furnace of wrath, a wide and bottomless pit, full of the fire of wrath, that you are held over in the hand of that God, whose wrath is provoked and incensed as much against you, as against many of the damned in hell. You hang by a slender thread, with the flames of divine wrath flashing about it, and ready every moment to singe it, and burn it asunder; and you have no interest in any Mediator, and nothing to lay hold of to save yourself, nothing to keep off the flames of wrath, nothing of your own, nothing that you ever have done, nothing that you can do, to induce God to spare you one moment.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

TK

Post by TK » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:49 pm

i wonder if he preached that on halloween night. yikes!

TK

Jill

Post by Jill » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:38 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RND

Post by RND » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:11 pm

Paidion wrote:The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked: his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire; he is of purer eyes than to bear to have you in his sight; you are ten thousand times more abominable in his eyes, than the most hateful venomous serpent is in ours. You have offended him infinitely more than ever a stubborn rebel did his prince; and yet it is nothing but his hand that holds you from falling into the fire every moment. It is to be ascribed to nothing else, that you did not go to hell the last night; that you was suffered to awake again in this world, after you closed your eyes to sleep. And there is no other reason to be given, why you have not dropped into hell since you arose in the morning, but that God's hand has held you up. There is no other reason to be given why you have not gone to hell, since you have sat here in the house of God, provoking his pure eyes by your sinful wicked manner of attending his solemn worship. Yea, there is nothing else that is to be given as a reason why you do not this very moment drop down into hell.

O sinner! Consider the fearful danger you are in: it is a great furnace of wrath, a wide and bottomless pit, full of the fire of wrath, that you are held over in the hand of that God, whose wrath is provoked and incensed as much against you, as against many of the damned in hell. You hang by a slender thread, with the flames of divine wrath flashing about it, and ready every moment to singe it, and burn it asunder; and you have no interest in any Mediator, and nothing to lay hold of to save yourself, nothing to keep off the flames of wrath, nothing of your own, nothing that you ever have done, nothing that you can do, to induce God to spare you one moment.
Paidion do you suppose that Jonathan Edwards was invited to many get-togethers and socials? Doesn't seem like the jovial sort.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Return to “Views of Hell”