Eternal Punishment?

RKCastillo

Eternal Punishment?

Post by RKCastillo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:06 am

Hey guys!

I was hoping that a universalist could answer the objections people are using with the eternal punishment, or eternal judgment scriptures.

How do you respond to those?

steve

Re: Eternal Punishment?

Post by steve » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Your question is broad one. The objections to universal reconciliation are very numerous, and so are the answers given in its defense. There has been much interaction on these topics over the years at this forum. If you have some time to do a bit of reading, you will find just about every objection and every response at these two links:

http://www.theos.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=73
http://www.wvss.com/forumc/viewforum.ph ... cb08e0340f

RKCastillo

Post by RKCastillo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks Steve...

I will go read those.

I was talking to someone saying there are really only around a dozen mentions of Hell in the Bible and none of them really point to a person being there eternally.

And then they started to bring out the eternal judgment verses.

So I was wondering the opinions of universalists on those.

steve

Post by steve » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Yep, those would be the subjects discussed at many of the threads youwill find at those links.

RKCastillo

Post by RKCastillo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:24 pm

So...looking at the word aionios and the multiple times it is used in the New Testament.

I doesn't usually mean "forever"

steve

Post by steve » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:16 pm

It has a number of possible meanings. "Forever" (meaning "endlessly") often does not seem appropriate as a correct translation. The word literally means something like "of [or "pertaining to"] an age [or "the age"]." In its varied usage, it sometimes seems to mean something like "for the duration" or "for a time" or "continually" or something else. "Aionios punishment" or "aionios fire" or "aionios life," etc., may mean punishment, fire, life, etc. that pertain to the age, or (alternatively) to punishment, fire, life, etc. that proceed from the eternal God.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:45 pm

I thought some of you might be interested in George MacDonald's view:

There is one growing persuasion of the present age which I hope this book may somewhat serve to stem -- not by any argument, but by... a healthy up stirring ... of the imagination and the conscience. In these days, when men are so gladly hearing afresh that "in Him there is no darkness at all"; that God, therefore could not have created any man if He knew that he must live in torture to all eternity; and that His hatred to evil cannot be expressed by injustice, itself the one essence of evil, -- for certainly it would be nothing less than injustice to punish infinitely what was finitely committed, no sinner being capable of understanding the abstract enormity of what he does, -- in these days has a arisen another falsehood, less, yet very perilous: thousands of half-thinkers imagine that, since it is declared with such authority that hell is not everlasting, there is then no hell at all. To such folly, I, for one, have never given enticement or shelter. I see no hope for many, no way for the divine love to reach them, save through a very ghastly hell. Men have got to repent; there is no other escape for them, and no escape from that. — George MacDonald, preface to Letters from Hell (anon., ca. 1871)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:53 pm

Interesting post Paidion. I recently read of how many of the universalist "no hellers" had a change of heart when they observed the results of their preaching and came to a rather utilitarian view of hell. A sort of universal purgatory, that is.

Troy

Post by Troy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Would conditional immortality/annihilation according to those like Stott, Pinnock, etc be the same as that of Jehovah's witnesses?

Return to “Views of Hell”