Labeling the Views

mattrose

Labeling the Views

Post by mattrose » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:32 pm

I've been working on my thesis paper. My paper is intended to convince "The Wesleyan Church" that its statement on human destiny lends itself exclusively to the 'everlasting misery' view of Hell despite the fact that our theological epistemology (the Wesleyan Quadrilateral which insists on using reason, tradition & experience to aid our understanding of Scripture) and ecumenical heritage (Wesley focused on 'heart' religion rather than doctrine) point toward an acceptance of other potentially 'Evangelical' positions such as 'eventual extinction' and 'eventual restoration.'

I thought it might be interesting to discuss these labels I've chosen (rather than ET, CI & UR)

I chose "Everlasting Misery" because
1. That is the phrase used in the Wesleyan Discipline
2. To describe this view as traditional, classical, or orthodox seems like stacking the deck for it
3. To describe it as torment seems almost like stacking the deck against it

I chose "Eventual Extinction" because
1. It is of parallel length to the label given to the first view, haha
2. To describe it as annihilation seems like stacking the deck against it (linked with cults)
3. Conditional Immortality, as a label, doesn't describe what Hell will be like at all. It's indirect.

I chose "Eventual Restoration" because
1. It is of parallel length to the label given to the first 2 views :)
2. To describe it as universalism seems like stacking the deck against it (linked with pluralism)
3. Universal Reconciliation, as a label, sorta leaves 'Hell' as an aside (perhaps unncessary)*
* I feel the word "eventual" brings "Hell" back into the equation since they will be in Hell until the event (repentance) by which they are restored.

My goal was that all 3 labels would be able to answer the question, as concisely as possible... What will Hell entail in this view?

It will entail everlasting misery
It will entail eventual extinction
It will entail eventual restoration

TK

Re: Labeling the Views

Post by TK » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:18 am

I like it!

I decree that from now on these labels shall be used. They are easy to understand-- i.e. they are fairly self-explanatory and don't contain any inflammatory language, one way or the other.

TK

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:54 am

I think these labels are quite descriptive of these three "hell"views, and I am very much in favour of using them. So now the abbreviations are EM, EE, and ER.

And now what labels shall we use for the two "no-hell" views?

Perhaps "Conditional Immorality" still serves well the view that when we die, we are simply dead forever, unless we have met the conditions for immortality.
What about the view that everyone will automatically be in the presence of God at some point after death since Christ's atonement covered everyone. How about "Unconditional Universalism?

Okay, so it's EM, EE, ER, CI, and UU. Any objections?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Perry

Post by Perry » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:20 pm

Paidion wrote:Perhaps "Conditional Immorality"...
Hah! Was that a typo or a pun?

Return to “Views of Hell”