Help with finding a source

Perry

Re: Help with finding a source

Post by Perry » Fri May 04, 2012 11:02 am

psimmond wrote: So I see no more reason to think that a man in Hades couldn't feel as though he were burning up and long for water
Wouldn't he be asking for a bit more than a drop for his tongue? I think I'd be asking for a fire hose.

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Sat May 05, 2012 12:27 am

jeremiah, I agree with you. I just think we need to be careful that we don't assume it can't give factual information about Hades/hell because it is a parable. The fact that other scriptures reference fire and torment makes me think we shouldn't be too quick to dismiss this as "just a parable."

Perry, maybe the rich man didn't ask for a fire hose because he was fully aware that he didn't deserve even a cup of water. Since we both believe this is a parable, I guess we can agree that we probably shouldn't try too hard to figure out why the rich man asked for a drop of water rather than a fire hose, extinguisher, or fire-proof suit :D
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Sat May 05, 2012 9:40 am

I don't think the parable has any value in determining the nature of "Hell" in regards to the debate between views such as ET, CI, or UR. Even if it were a 'true story' and not a parable, it would still most readily apply to the intermediate state and not post-judgment day situation. And it might not even refer to the intermediate state post-Christ (assuming things may have changed with the cross).

At most, in my opinion, it could give us some details about what happened to people under the Old Covenant upon death.

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Sat May 05, 2012 10:16 am

mattrose, if this were the only passage we had that mentioned portmortem torment and fire, I would agree with you that at most "it could give us some details about what happened to people under the Old Covenant upon death."

BTW, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you might be :?:
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat May 05, 2012 10:51 am

I cannot provide a source for Christ's parable, but I have observed that Josephus' description of Hades seems similar to the Hades in Christ's parable:

http://www.ccel.org/j/josephus/works/hades.htm
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Sat May 05, 2012 11:23 am

I'm not sure, but I think the Greeks and Romans believed in a Hades where some went to the Elysian Fields (Abraham's bosom/paradise?) and other were punished in Tartarus. (Tantalus felt as though he was dying of thirst but could never get even a drop of water.) I'm guessing that those in Tartarus couldn't leave to go to the Elysian Fields and vice versa.

It's been years since I studied Greek and Roman mythology, so perhaps someone else with more knowledge could comment on this.
~Garry Friesen

Return to “Views of Hell”