Weeping and gnashing of teeth and outer darkness

TK

Weeping and gnashing of teeth and outer darkness

Post by TK » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Matthew 8:12
"But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

Matthew 22:13
"Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
There are some other passages with this lingo.

How does a proponent of UR deal with these passages? Do they have anything to do with the fate of the "unsaved?"

What is "outer darkness?" Is it a hebraism of some sort? How about the weeping and gnashing of teeth?

TK

brody196

Re: Weeping and gnashing of teeth and outer darkness

Post by brody196 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:47 am

Weeping and gnashing of teeth is a phrase that I feel is kinda misunderstood. Most of the commentators you read on this one will assume that the subjects of this "weeping and gnashing" are in torment and are doing this because of the pain they are in. The phrase "gnashing of teeth" appears several times in the bible and usually denotes intense anger. Observe the following: All your enemies have opened their mouth against you; They hiss and gnash [their] teeth. They say, "We have swallowed [her] up! Surely this [is] the day we have waited for; We have found [it], we have seen [it]!" Lam 2:16

The wicked will see [it] and be grieved; He will gnash his teeth and melt away; The desire of the wicked shall perish. (Psalm 112:10)

When they heard these things they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed at him with [their] teeth. (Acts 7:54)

"Weeping" in the bible often occurs in the context of great loss. When you put these things together, it seems that the some of the wicked will feel extreme anger, while others will be weeping because of the realization of how great a loss they have!

Just my thoughts.

Perry

Post by Perry » Tue May 01, 2012 11:52 am

As a kid I had a friend, who, when he got angry, would literally gnash his teeth and cry at the same time. He would snarl and show his teeth, but tears would stream down his face. I always think of him when I read these passages.

TK

Post by TK » Tue May 01, 2012 12:21 pm

I have heard that teeth gnashing is indicative of anger as well.

Do you think these parables about being cast into "outer darkness" where they will weep and gnash their teeth is talking about the ultimate fate of the wicked, i.e. hell?

TK

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:40 pm

I have heard that teeth gnashing is indicative of anger as well.

Do you think these parables about being cast into "outer darkness" where they will weep and gnash their teeth is talking about the ultimate fate of the wicked, i.e. hell?

I think to see this as an eternal state you would have to read into it something that is simply not there. It sounds like deep regret and in fact perhaps the deep regret is forever, but where do we see eternal torment? I think you have to add in your own paradigm to arrive at that conclusion.

brody196

Post by brody196 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Perry wrote:As a kid I had a friend, who, when he got angry, would literally gnash his teeth and cry at the same time. He would snarl and show his teeth, but tears would stream down his face. I always think of him when I read these passages.
Hahaha..I bet that was quite a sight!

brody196

Post by brody196 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:48 pm

TK wrote:I have heard that teeth gnashing is indicative of anger as well.

TK

I think the point of the "outer darkness" is made in contrast to those who are feasting in the lighted house at the party. The imagery may refer to the final judgment, but I don't think that a strong case for ECT can be made from these text.

TK

Post by TK » Tue May 01, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks y'all!

TK

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue May 01, 2012 9:12 pm

With God/Jesus being referenced frequently as the light it would appear that "outer darkness" would be a complete separation from God. As in "away from me, I never knew you".

Return to “Views of Hell”