I Appreciate this Forum!

steve7150

Re: I Appreciate this Forum!

Post by steve7150 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:49 am

All of those religions hold Jesus in high regard, but I doubt he returns the favor...

Well said! Plus funny!

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Thu May 03, 2012 11:22 am

It is hard to determine the manner in which to write about doctrine, because you may have two audiences; on one hand you want to be evangelical and have empathy for someone's different beliefs, but at the same time you do not want to lose the person who believes but just wants to learn more. And if we know something is an unbiblical view we have a responsibility to warn the unknowing not simply placate the opposition (I think this would apply no matter what side of the fence you are on), dont we? We really dont have any time here to waste in this Life, do we?

If you can't give a reason for what you believe, it really isn't much of a belief is it?

Perry

Post by Perry » Thu May 03, 2012 11:27 am

Jason wrote:So I've opted out of Christianity altogether.
Hi Jason,
I always hate it when what could be sound reasoning devolves into semantics, so please understand where I'm coming from here.

Do you feel you're opting out or authentic Christianity, or are you just saying that you want to distance yourself from all those cooks out there who call themselves "Christian"? Based what I've seen from many of your posts, and even including the one just quoted, I think it's probably the second thing that you're saying. If so, then I may like to open up this topic in another thread, because I think it's an important one.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Thu May 03, 2012 11:40 am

I wanted to mention to you Jason that I totally understand your angst, as I do not generally refer to myself as a Christian anymore as the term has been sadly dragged through the mud (by men) for centuries. I tell people 'I am trusting in Jesus and His word only', is that what you mean?

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu May 03, 2012 1:54 pm

jriccitelli & Perry,

I don't mean to say that I've left faith in Christ, nor have I opted out of a high view of scripture. But it's more than semantics, because words and labels carry a great deal of meaning. Simply put... they matter. What I've come to understand (and would be willing to discuss in depth, whether in this thread or another) is that what we call "Christianity" is actually the brand name of a product which is not endorsed by the central figure it promotes. This presents a problem for those who believe in Christ and hold a high (but not uncritical) regard for the Bible because we no longer have a label by which to identify ourselves to those who are curious. But it's more than just the term "Christianity." The whole idea of how the gospel is preached (or even what it is!) and what's considered the norm within that movement... every part of it seems inauthentic and revolting to me. So I can't maintain a clear conscience and still call myself a Christian. It would be a false and inappropriate label to wear.

Many people have come out of the Christian religion because they lose faith in God or become persuaded that some other way is the "true way." I'm not one of those. Nor do I think it wise (for me) to look for or try to start some other club that "gets it right." Because we'd just screw it up too.

TK

Post by TK » Thu May 03, 2012 2:59 pm

it is true that "Christianity" is painted with a very broad brush.

I know exactly what you are saying.

Every unbeliever out there likely has a very different picture in their mind when they hear the word "Christian."

In fact, every believer probably has a different picture as well.

TK

john6809

Post by john6809 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:22 pm

Jason wrote:jriccitelli & Perry,

I don't mean to say that I've left faith in Christ, nor have I opted out of a high view of scripture. But it's more than semantics, because words and labels carry a great deal of meaning. Simply put... they matter. What I've come to understand (and would be willing to discuss in depth, whether in this thread or another) is that what we call "Christianity" is actually the brand name of a product which is not endorsed by the central figure it promotes. This presents a problem for those who believe in Christ and hold a high (but not uncritical) regard for the Bible because we no longer have a label by which to identify ourselves to those who are curious. But it's more than just the term "Christianity." The whole idea of how the gospel is preached (or even what it is!) and what's considered the norm within that movement... every part of it seems inauthentic and revolting to me. So I can't maintain a clear conscience and still call myself a Christian. It would be a false and inappropriate label to wear.

Many people have come out of the Christian religion because they lose faith in God or become persuaded that some other way is the "true way." I'm not one of those. Nor do I think it wise (for me) to look for or try to start some other club that "gets it right." Because we'd just screw it up too.
First off, I largely agree with what you say. Would you say that those who are claiming the label "Christian" and promoting a brand labelled "Christianity" through a wrongly understood or mis-represented "Gospel" are saved people behaving badly and in need of correction? Or are they entirely unsaved? This makes a difference in how we are to treat them. I am reticent to concede the term "Christian" too easily to those who destroy it's meaning, but am also ashamed of what the word has come to mean to others. Is there a way to turn this trend around or do we just have to deal with it?
"My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior." - John Newton

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon May 07, 2012 3:02 pm

First off, I largely agree with what you say. Would you say that those who are claiming the label "Christian" and promoting a brand labelled "Christianity" through a wrongly understood or mis-represented "Gospel" are saved people behaving badly and in need of correction? Or are they entirely unsaved? This makes a difference in how we are to treat them. I am reticent to concede the term "Christian" too easily to those who destroy it's meaning, but am also ashamed of what the word has come to mean to others. Is there a way to turn this trend around or do we just have to deal with it?
It's hard to paint with such a broad brush but I could easily say that among the religious institution of Christianity, you will find many who are more devout Christ-followers than myself. So I wouldn't dare treat such individuals as apostate or unworthy of fellowship due to their religious predilections. But when it comes to the movement at large, I think it's doing more harm than good for the cause of Christ. I don't know what the answer is, because God is every bit as aware of this fact as we are and is undoubtedly more grieved by. So while I don't know what or if there is a widespread antidote (aside from mass persecution by the state, which I don't welcome) I think there IS a micro solution, which involves those outside the mainstream movement continuing to shine a light and not put it under a basket.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:35 pm

I do miss this forum. I haven't posted here for over 6 months, I did not die, I just quit drinking coffee early in the morning (although that is practically death). What happened is I took a new job and decided I would not drink coffee until I got to work, rather than what I used to do, that is have a couple cups before I left for work. I took a job where I had to study hard in the evening and needed the energy then.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:20 am

hey jr good to know you're not dead :mrgreen:

Return to “Views of Hell”