Doctoral dissertation on Aion

marty

Doctoral dissertation on Aion

Post by marty » Tue May 08, 2012 9:35 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that Dr. Keizers doctoral dissertation on Aion is available now at:

http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN9789090253800

I have been going through the PDF version of this for a while now and am still not done with it as its over 300 pages, but it is by far the most scholarly work I've ever read on the subject. She goes over its use by multiple sources from the OT Olam and Aristotle, Plato, Philo, etc and its uses in the Septuagint. Her conclusions basically are that Aion was not used to convey the concept of eternal or eternity, but is close in meaning to the Hebrew word Olam or "to the horizon" or age or ages.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Re: Doctoral dissertation on Aion

Post by backwoodsman » Tue May 08, 2012 11:26 am

Where did you find it in PDF? I've found the book for reading online but can't find a downloadable version.

For those interested in reading it online:
http://www.ebookdb.org/item/12429/

marty

Post by marty » Tue May 08, 2012 3:25 pm

DR. Keizer was gracious enough to send it to me. I can ask her if its OK to send you the PDF if you would like?

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Tue May 08, 2012 3:28 pm

I'd appreciate that. It's a lot more convenient than reading it online.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat May 26, 2012 11:24 am

I would be interested in knowing what word or words used in N.T. Greek, if any, do convey our concept of eternal or eternity if aion does not. Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll be able to look for an answer in there.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat May 26, 2012 12:11 pm

I would be interested in knowing what word or words used in N.T. Greek, if any, do convey our concept of eternal or eternity if aion does not.
Well that's an easy one! The Greek adjective "aidios" is the word for "eternal." It is found in the following passage with respect to the Father's eternal power and deity:

Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely, his "aidios" (eternal) power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse... Romans 1:20
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat May 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Paidion,

(Singalphile)
would be interested in knowing what word or words used in N.T. Greek, if any, do convey our concept of eternal or eternity if aion does not.

(Paidion)
Well that's an easy one! The Greek adjective "aidios" is the word for "eternal." It is found in the following passage with respect to the Father's eternal power and deity:

Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely, his "aidios" (eternal) power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse... Romans 1:20
But aidios is never associated with the life we have after the resurrection, being only used twice in the entire New Testament. How do we know, as commonly thought, that our life in the age to come is eternal? What Greek word or words tell us?

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat May 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Thank you, Paidion. I'm browsing for info about it. There's plenty. Interesting.
According to http://gospelhall.org/bible/bible.php?s ... ng=greek#2:

"While aionios ... negatives the end either of a space of time or of unmeasured time, and is used chiefly where something future is spoken of,

aidios excludes interruption and lays stress upon permanence and unchangeableness" (Cremer). [emph. added]
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:37 pm

But aidios is never associated with the life we have after the resurrection, being only used twice in the entire New Testament. How do we know, as commonly thought, that our life in the age to come is eternal? What Greek word or words tell us?Homer

Yes but Paul calls believers "immortal" at the resurrection, so i think it's a moot point.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun May 27, 2012 4:19 pm

But aidios is never associated with the life we have after the resurrection...
So it isn't. Neither, in the Bible, is it associated with the punishment of the lost after the judgment.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Views of Hell”