A Sample Memorial for the Wesleyan Church

mattrose

A Sample Memorial for the Wesleyan Church

Post by mattrose » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:02 pm

I'm part of the Wesleyan denomination. Our current Articles of Religion includes the following statement on Destinty:
We believe that the Scriptures clearly teach that there is a conscious personal existence after death. The final destiny of each person is determined by God's grace and that person's response, evidenced inevitably by a moral character which results from that individual's personal and volitional choices and not from any arbitrary decree of God. Heaven with its eternal glory and the blessedness of Christ's presence is the final abode of those who choose the salvation which God provides through Jesus Christ, but hell with its everlasting misery and separation from God is the final abode of those who neglect this great salvation.
Currently, this statement supports the 'everlasting misery' view of hell. But these statements may be amended (though it is, rightly, quite a process) through memorials. I wrote the following example memorial that I feel would create an environment allowing both the eventual extinction and eventual restoration perspectives.

Whereas, the Article of Religion on Destiny lends itself to a particular view of hell;

Whereas, a Scriptural case may be made for other views regarding the fate of the wicked;

Whereas, there may be reasonable objections to the ‘everlasting misery’ perspective;

Whereas, other understandings of hell have been present throughout church history;

Whereas, the doctrine of hell is in need of fresh and open-minded evaluation;

Whereas, removing two words creates room for a variety of interpretations of hell;

Whereas, the reality of hell as a place of misery/separation would still be insisted upon;

Resolved, that the final sentence of Article 21 be amended by striking the words ‘everlasting’ and ‘final’ and thus read:
We believe that the Scriptures clearly teach that there is a conscious personal existence after death. The final destiny of each person is determined by God's grace and that person's response, evidenced inevitably by a moral character which results from that individual's personal and volitional choices and not from any arbitrary decree of God. Heaven with its eternal glory and the blessedness of Christ's presence is the final abode of those who choose the salvation which God provides through Jesus Christ, but hell with its misery and separation from God is the abode of those who neglect this great salvation.
I feel that by striking the word 'everlasting' before misery, it opens the door to believing that the misery will ultimately result in extinction.

I feel that by striking the word 'final' before abode, it opens the door to the wicked coming to a place of repentance and being restored. Thus, as per the earlier line, the FINAL DESTINY of each person is determined by God's grace and that person's response AND not by some seemingly arbitrary cut off point where repentance is no longer accepted.

Return to “Views of Hell”