Purgatory vs. Universalism

Paidion

Re: Purgatory vs. Universalism

Post by Paidion » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Homer wrote:
For among us the prince of the wicked spirits is called the serpent, and Satan, and the devil, as you can learn by looking into our writings. And that he would be sent into the fire with his host, and the men who follow him, and would be punished for an endless duration, Christ foretold. (The First Apology of Justin, Chap. XXVIII)
In my set this quote is in the first paragraph of chapter XXVIII, on page 172. Perhaps you can look in the Greek yourself and see if it is mistranslated.

It seems to me the evidence is overwhelming that the earliest fathers were far from universalists. I do not put much stock into what is said after about 200AD; all sorts of strange ideas croped up, such as no forgiveness of sin after baptism which led to the purgatory idea.
Yes, Homer, the quote also occurs on p. 172 in my set. Indeed, I have the quote underlined from the time you referred to it previously.

Here is my problem. I do not have the Greek of Justin's works. Nor can I find it online. I can purchase a 3-volume set of The Major Works of Justin Martyr in Greek for $75.95. They include " Justin Martyr’s first and second Apologies, the Epistle to Diognetus, and the Dialogue with Trypho, all in their original Greek, and complimented with extensive notes from Basil L. Gildersleeve and William Trollope." I am tempted purchase this set, but I haven't yet made up my mind.

Meanwhile, as far a I know, the relevant passage in Greek is unavailable to me.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Views of Hell”