1957 murderer convicted

Paidion

Re: 1957 murderer convicted

Post by Paidion » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:32 am

Last edited by Paidion on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:37 am

psimmond wrote:So when people say prison time or the death penalty doesn't deter criminals, I think you'd have to see if this is true universally. The US judicial system is not known for its swiftness, certainty, or severity. I suspect that a dungeon with bread and water would be more of a deterrent than a cell block with 3 healthy meals, cable tv, library, weight room, etc.
Deterrence is not limited to the offender. It is also believed that the death penalty and other punishment will deter others from committing crimes. Both of these premises are faulty.

It seems clear when one notes the crime rate relative to increased penalties, that positive correlation between the increase in penalties and the decrease in crime rates. Rather increase in penalties seems rather to correspond to some degree to INCREASE in crime rates. I realize that this fact is contrary to our intuition.

I strongly recommend Howard Zehr's book Changing Lenses: A New Focus for Crime and Justice, a book that upholds restorative justice. Although this book initially was written over 30 years ago, it is just as relevant today as it ever was — perhaps more so.

http://www.amazon.com/Changing-Lenses-F ... 0836135121

http://books.google.ca/books/about/Chan ... QnRAAACAAJ

Here's a little book of Howard Zehr's on restorative justice. You can look into the book and read part of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Restorativ ... y_b_text_y
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:00 pm

Mattrose wrote:You (Paidion) state his confession could have hurt his victims? I see more of a possibility that it could have helped.
NO. That is not what I stated. I stated that "confession could bring hurtful consequences to the criminal's family if he confesses."

If a man who had a wife and 7 children all under the ages of 14, then committed a crime, confessed the crime, lost his high-paying job, and went to prison for 2 years, how will his children be provided for until they grow up? Even if his family survives until the man gets out of prison, who will hire him?
Paidion

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Oh, sorry for misreading your post.

Even still, while the harm that may come to others as a result of confession is a sad thing to consider (and worth considering), I do not think it outweighs the duty to confess ones crimes. It may have a say in how 'public' ones confession is, but not that it occurs.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:35 pm

All right, Matt. To that I fully agree.
Paidion

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:51 pm

I have had thoughts that if it was a murder or other serious crime that had the police out in force, and the community upset, that public confession would be in order no matter the consequences to his family. Perhaps he would lose his job etc. but when his children were older they would have a lot more respect for him in the long run because he did what was right in the end. The community and police deserve to know that the mystery was solved.

Even if it did not have the police out in force or the community upset, an open confession would bring more respect from his family in the long run. No discipline for the time is pleasureable, but in the long run, it will yield the peaceable fruits of righteousness.

The man who did the murder in 1957 - he has had many years to build and enjoy a life, and if he receives the sentence with meekness, he may be offered, eventually, more mercy than he ever thought possible. I agree that it is rather silly to put someone like this in prison, but perhaps he needed to face what he feared for so long - who knows?

brody196

Post by brody196 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:26 am

Are some of you guys seriously arguing that this monster shouldn't even receive a prison sentence? Are y'all serious? Just because he got away with it for all these years don't mean a thing. He killed a 7 year old girl!! This bum should be put to death and have bill for the bullet sent to his nearest of kin. ""Whoever sheds man's blood, By man his blood shall be shed; For in the image of God He made man."-God (Gen 9:6)

brody196

Post by brody196 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:28 am

Jepne wrote:I have had thoughts that if it was a murder or other serious crime that had the police out in force, and the community upset, that public confession would be in order no matter the consequences to his family. Perhaps he would lose his job etc. but when his children were older they would have a lot more respect for him in the long run because he did what was right in the end. The community and police deserve to know that the mystery was solved.

Even if it did not have the police out in force or the community upset, an open confession would bring more respect from his family in the long run. No discipline for the time is pleasureable, but in the long run, it will yield the peaceable fruits of righteousness.

The man who did the murder in 1957 - he has had many years to build and enjoy a life, and if he receives the sentence with meekness, he may be offered, eventually, more mercy than he ever thought possible. I agree that it is rather silly to put someone like this in prison, but perhaps he needed to face what he feared for so long - who knows?

Why would it be "rather silly" to put a murderer of little children in prison? I think it would be rather silly if they didn't.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Ah - I just learned that the man was not repentant - I had been going on the assumption that he had. I still haven't read the story - wouldn't hurt if I did - perhaps in the morning.

But I do not know him - what would be the best way to help him come to repentance? Our God does. All we know is what seems expedient.

Brody, I have read many stories on the web about the families of men who have been executed - some of them guilty, some not - it is a terrible thing for them to go through - to send them a bill for the bullet - you might want to think that through.

A lot has happened since the book of Genesis. . . .
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

brody196

Post by brody196 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Jepne wrote:Ah - I just learned that the man was not repentant - I had been going on the assumption that he had. I still haven't read the story - wouldn't hurt if I did - perhaps in the morning.

But I do not know him - what would be the best way to help him come to repentance? Our God does. All we know is what seems expedient.

Brody, I have read many stories on the web about the families of men who have been executed - some of them guilty, some not - it is a terrible thing for them to go through - to send them a bill for the bullet - you might want to think that through.

A lot has happened since the book of Genesis. . . .

My "bill for the bullet" comment was hyperbole, but my point still stands. If a man or woman murders a child, they should be put down. And while I agree that a lot has changed since Genesis, I don't see that God's standard of justice on this matter has changed.

Return to “Views of Hell”